Author Topic: When Adding Strategy Guides  (Read 1146 times)

GamerNick

When Adding Strategy Guides
« on: December 25, 2014, 01:16:00 am »
Hey all new to the forums on here but I am on RF Generation and Nintendo Age quite often.  As this is the most reliable site to Catalog my huge collection of Strategy guides, Game Related Books, and Gaming Magazines. 

A note for easier look up of the guides in the database when adding I suggest do NOT use the shorter number...because when you use ie for example - 9780744012446 on AMAZON it looks it up by that number and NOT the 752073012441.  So when I add in a guide I will be using the 978 or whatever longer number - also to note not all guides have the shorter number EXCEPT for the earlier Nintendo Guides so that is okay to add those as the Barcode.  Thanks! and really loving the site Matt and all keep up the awesome work.
Gamernick/BNS Games
www.bnsgames.com (In Development)

Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in bulk - looking to complete my NES Set & Sega Saturn Set, also looking for upgrades to my Complete Sega 32X set.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: When Adding Strategy Guides
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:04:51 am »
You're talking about the ISBN #'s right?

I don't know/remember if that, specifically, is made clear in the style guide, or not.

However, the bar code #'s should all still be the same ==> bringing you to the right item on Amazon, no?

More importantly - Merry Christmas & welcome to VGC! ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

GamerNick

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 01:16:10 pm »
Thanks for the Welcome! & Merry Christmas to you as well!! Most guides have two codes for some reason the smaller codes even when say using Red Laser on The Amazon App and stuff only works on the 978...Barcodes not the cash register UPC/Barcodes...I find it quite interesting and entertaining at the same time haha.
Gamernick/BNS Games

Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in bulk - looking to complete my NES Set & Sega Saturn Set, also looking for upgrades to my Complete Sega 32X set.

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 02:44:12 pm »
Um, I've just stumbled upon your edits... I've had to reject or modify a few of them due to them containing redundant information, like mentioning the platform on the notes when it's not needed, or a game genre. Sorry if I'm a bother.  :-[
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 02:48:34 pm by foxhack »

GamerNick

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 02:43:41 am »
Um, I've just stumbled upon your edits... I've had to reject or modify a few of them due to them containing redundant information, like mentioning the platform on the notes when it's not needed, or a game genre. Sorry if I'm a bother.  :-[

Just a heads up I was wondering why Dark Messiah was first on my list when it begins with a "D" what happened was there was a space at the beginning of the title - I fixed that and submitted the edit.  Thanks for the information I just won't put anything in the Description or Box Space.  I eventually plan on submitting my scans and covers as well.
Gamernick/BNS Games

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 02:41:41 pm »
You misunderstand - the problem is that you're writing the publisher, the game's name, and the platform (one or the other) in the description.

There's no need to use the game's name since it's already in the title, the publisher isn't needed most of the time (unless it's for a game that has quite a few independent guides) and the platform is only listed when there's various versions of a book... and that info usually goes in the title, to make sure people add the right version of the book to their collection.

You did fine, you just added some info that's already detailed in the rest of the entry.

GamerNick

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 12:56:31 pm »
You misunderstand - the problem is that you're writing the publisher, the game's name, and the platform (one or the other) in the description.

There's no need to use the game's name since it's already in the title, the publisher isn't needed most of the time (unless it's for a game that has quite a few independent guides) and the platform is only listed when there's various versions of a book... and that info usually goes in the title, to make sure people add the right version of the book to their collection.

You did fine, you just added some info that's already detailed in the rest of the entry.

Awesome thanks! Sorry for misunderstanding It's just very nice to finally have a site where I can add my guides in lol
Gamernick/BNS Games