Author Topic: Big Bang Theory  (Read 3121 times)

Big Bang Theory
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:51:04 pm »
Hey I was recently talking to some people about what shows we really like to watch right now and I brought up Big Bang Theory since it's probably my favorite tv show of all time, but everyone I was talking to hates it.  So what are some of your guys' opinions on the show?  I obviously love it, but apparently I might be the weird one for liking it when I thought most people did :p

Re: Big Bang Theory
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 07:06:36 pm »
I like it too. It's the only comedy I watch right now.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 09:20:57 pm »
I watch the show from time to time...  I got tired of watching the Leonard and Penny relationship since I felt it too pushed, but I definitely enjoy Howard, Raj, and Stuart.

Props to Jim Parsons for nailing all those lines.  Rest in peace, Carol Ann Susi.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 10:02:41 pm »
Always liked the show from its humble beginnings. I am however starting to notice the beginnings of shark jumping and it may not be long before the show has run its natural course.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 12:32:27 am »
Take the laugh track out of the show and it becomes alot different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs
The show is universally hated on most of the internet for it's attempts to capitalize on 'geek culture' with little to no understanding of it.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 08:19:47 am »

That would probably be true for a majority of traditional sitcoms.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 03:30:40 pm »
This show is awesome... why do people love to hate on thing's that are popular.... I'm a picky fuck when it comes to TV shows.. and I can watch old re-runs a million times and they still make me laugh.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:33:25 pm by retromangia »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 08:54:37 pm »
So I guess I'll be the odd one out, cause I personally hate it. I'm not a  big fan of sitcoms to begin with, for me the jokes fall extremely flat, and the fact people I know love it and try to convince me it's great and try to make me watch doesn't help my opinion in any way.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 01:09:33 am »
I am personally not a fan.

I feel like the show is at the forefront of making "nerdy" a trend, which it is not. People who are nerds (including myself and I'd guess most of the users on this site) do not use slang, interests, clothes or anything else as an accessory to fit in; it is who we are through and through. I hate how society is trying to capitalize on the cool to be a nerd trend, creating a bunch of people that love to explain how nerdy they are because they wear thick framed glasses, play warcraft or have a N64. I'm probably overreacting but I hate people trying to turn my identity into a trend. I feel like The Big Bang Theory has contributed heavily to this, and makes me dislike the show quite a bit. For the record I have watched about 10 episodes and was never that interested or entertained. My problem is less with the show and more of what it represents at the moment.

abe

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 08:37:37 am »
I don't care for the show either. It just really isn't that funny, and I find laugh tracks super annoying. Good comedy shouldn't need to give you directions on when you're supposed to laugh.

These two posts also sum up my feelings about the show pretty well:

I am personally not a fan.

I feel like the show is at the forefront of making "nerdy" a trend, which it is not. People who are nerds (including myself and I'd guess most of the users on this site) do not use slang, interests, clothes or anything else as an accessory to fit in; it is who we are through and through. I hate how society is trying to capitalize on the cool to be a nerd trend, creating a bunch of people that love to explain how nerdy they are because they wear thick framed glasses, play warcraft or have a N64. I'm probably overreacting but I hate people trying to turn my identity into a trend. I feel like The Big Bang Theory has contributed heavily to this, and makes me dislike the show quite a bit. For the record I have watched about 10 episodes and was never that interested or entertained. My problem is less with the show and more of what it represents at the moment.

The show is universally hated on most of the internet for it's attempts to capitalize on 'geek culture' with little to no understanding of it.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

bobster

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 09:01:14 am »
I watch the show and I'm personally a bit conflicted about it.

On one hand, I like that when they mention a scientific theory or concept, it's actually relevant and generally correct. Science generally isn't a topic that's spoken of in TV. Also, you get guest appearances from awesome people like Neil Degrasse Tyson (astrophsistist and director of the Hayden Planetarium) or Mike Massamino (Astronaut) which is awesome. I listen to the podcast "Star Talk Radio" that Neil hosts and Mike is on there quite frequently. It's always nice to see them getting more love.

On the other hand, sometimes it feels like a satire about nerd culture. Sometimes it can insulting when it handles some aspects.

Either way, I still watch it but I don't necessarily love it.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

amauriel

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 10:03:39 am »
I used to really love the show. But when it started, I felt like I was laughing with the guys in the show and now I'm supposed to be laughing at them, which is not my cup of tea.

I work in a department of fairly "normal" people (I honestly think no one is normal, but they think they are) and I am one of just a few nerds. We'll start talking about the latest Doctor Who or something and inevitably there will be some "normal" person comment that we sounds like characters from the show. That gets on my nerves.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:40:10 am »
I actually like the show. And that all it is, a show.

gf78

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22:28 am »
It's ok.  Some of the episodes are pretty funny, some I don't care for. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 09:51:57 pm »
My 17 / 11 year old nieces call me Sheldon.

I saw the show. I can relate to the guy in a lot of ways. Including the fact that everyone laughs at him.

I'm not a fan.