Author Topic: Your favourite console, and why?  (Read 10526 times)

scott

Re: Your favourite console, and why?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 12:34:52 pm »
PS2 - It wasn't the first system that I ever bought with my own money (That was the N64), but it was the first console I was able to actually buy games for as I pleased. It had more refined 3D graphics than the PS1 and N64, which unlike the PS1 and N64, have held up really great today. The PS2 was the main system of choice for me for that generation and it's easily noticeable in my collection, the GameCube and the Xbox are at 19 games, where the PS2 towers above them with 116.

The PS2's Dual Shock 2 was a vast improvement over the PS1's controller too. I feel the DS2 is also much better built controller than even the Dual Shock 3, which feels cheap and lightly made. Where the Xbox's controller seemed huge and unwieldy and the GameCube's button layout seemed strange.

I can honestly say that during the PS2 era I was solidly in the PS2 fanboy camp, but, thanks to my friends buying 360s and needing one for multiplayer that all changed the following generation. Still the PS2 is my favorite console ever and still gets regular play in the game room.

Sadly I don't have time to put in 20 exclusives. But I'll edit this later.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

doafan

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 12:41:06 pm »
- NES, why ?, My old and reliable has been with me almost all my life, this mothafucka is even more hardcore than today's consoles, it was created not only for fun purposes also to continue giving us a lot of entertainment with our kids, not all consoles can say that they will do this also a lot of their games still kicks my ass several times about the 20 list gotta think it twice and will post it later  ???

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 01:05:08 pm »
The PS2's Dual Shock 2 was a vast improvement over the PS1's controller too. I feel the DS2 is also much better built controller than even the Dual Shock 3, which feels cheap and lightly made. Where the Xbox's controller seemed huge and unwieldy and the GameCube's button layout seemed strange.

It was like exactly the same as PS1's Dual-Shock. Just more colors to choose from.

soera

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 01:29:30 pm »
Im going to have to go with the PS4. I had some play time with my PS3 when Ni no Kuni and Diablo III came out but nothing has brought me back into gamer mode the way my PS4 has. Ive already finished Mordor, about 65 hours into Inquisition and feeling the anticipation for Bloodborne, MKX, Shiness (a game I kickstarter backed and is supposed to release this year) and some other titles. Plus with ESO and Everquest Next going to be on the 4, there is nothing that is going to stop this landslide for me.

I know that the Playstation controller has been mentioned already but I actually enjoy the feel of the DS4 the most also.

Btw, not enough exclusives ... yet!

scott

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 02:22:09 pm »

It was like exactly the same as PS1's Dual-Shock. Just more colors to choose from.

Dunno, I always felt like there was a difference. Plus my PS1 was mainly a non Dual Shock until way later down the line. Which is the reason I still gravitate toward D-Pad controls on driving games to this day.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 03:33:48 pm »
Plus my PS1 was mainly a non Dual Shock until way later down the line.

This is a lot of it right here. The original controllers for the PS1 were pretty solid built. All the Shock controllers feel about the same to me with the exception of the new PS4 ones which feel pretty great.

retroone

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 06:41:56 pm »
Plus my PS1 was mainly a non Dual Shock until way later down the line.

This is a lot of it right here. The original controllers for the PS1 were pretty solid built. All the Shock controllers feel about the same to me with the exception of the new PS4 ones which feel pretty great.
The PlayStation controllers never truly bothered me it's just the D-Pad (Until DS4) felt very displeasing to use. To me it caused finger cramps in games like Mega Man X4 where precision is a must. Built-wise these controllers will survive being thrown down a flight of stairs or a couple games of Wipeout.

theflea

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 01:43:00 am »
Favorite system as far as the best games and holds the test of time, by far SNES. The 16-Bit age is timeless, many NEW games are made to have this look because it is so timeless. Games from the PS1 and N64 days have some great games but most don't age well due to their early polygon graphic's. I love Zelda Ocarina of Time but man the early polygon graphics look dated today.  Yet the ones that used more Pixel graphics hold up better and far as graphics go.
I always had a soft spot for The Atari 2600 just due to it was my first game console.
I also love my Neo Geo consoles, and Turbo Grafx. If I plug one of those in I'll be using it for hours.

As for game exclusives... (many of these games technically have been released on later platforms such as GBA, NDS, nintendo E-store. etc but I'm going by exclusives as of when they came out)  :P

no order. off the top of my head.

1. Super Mario World
2. Legend of Zelda Link Between Words
3. Super Metroid
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Final Fantasy III
6. Super Mario Kart
7. Super Castlevania IV
8. Donkey Kong Country
9. Donkey Kong Country 2
10. Donkey Kong Country 3
11. Mega Man X
12. Mega Man X2
13. Mega Man X3     
14. Secret of Mana
15. Earthbound
16. Super Mario RPG
17. TMNT Turtles in Time (ya Gen Hyperstone is similar but its not the same)
18. Star Fox
19. Castlevania Dracula X
20. Kirby's Dream Land 3
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:54:23 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 08:41:10 pm »
Turbo Grafx 16

This is the first console that was truly my own. I saved up enough to buy it when the price dropped to ~$160. I use to play a lot of shooters back in the day and this system had a pretty good selection to choose from. I never really had an issue with slow down, but at times the scan lines would make everything disappear (R-Type boss fights) or the sound card would favor the explosions over the music (Super Star Soldier drums cut out when enemies are shot).

I never had the cash for the cd attachment back then, so I'm sticking to the huCards here.

1. Alien Crush
  2. Aero Blasters (sort of: Air Buster on Genesis, arcade name)
  3. Blazing Lazers
  4. Bonks Revenge
  5. Bravoman
  6. Devils Crush
  7. Dragon Spirit
  8. Galaga '90
  9. Legendary Axe
10. Legendary Axe II
11. Ninja Spirit
12. Order of the Griffon (many maps and bum passwords that didn't work here)
13. Parasol Stars (still pissed I cut the barcode off to enter a high score contest that had no outcome)
14. Psychosis
15. R-Type
16. Sidearms
17. Soldier Blade
18. Splatter House
19. Super Star Soldier
20. Veigues Tactical Gladiator

The bad thing about these old games is that 80% on this list can be beat in under an hour.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 09:13:39 pm »
I gotta say gamecube. Simply it's just the system I spent the most time with both single player and multilayer with friend. Lots of time play smash and Mario Kart, and even bringing it to high school and having a huge group of friends and even a couple of teachers play Soul Caliber 2 after school. And the GA Player allows me to also include the game boy series in my choice.  :P

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 07:43:26 am »
PS2.
Because it has everything covered for what one could ask for in a home console. And even if you can think of a genre that it is lightly-populated with, chances are they're available on PS1 which the PS2 can also play.

Ace Combat 4/5/6
ATV Offroad Fury 4
Buzz: The (*) Quiz
Champions of Norrath/Return
Cold Winter
Everybody's Tennis
Formula One 03/04/05
The Getaway 1/2
Ghosthunter
Gran Turismo 3/4
Klonoa 2
Road Trip Adventure
Sky Odyssey
Tourist Trophy
Transformers (2004)
Valkyrie Profile 2
We Love Katamari
The X-Files: Resist or Serve

dreama1

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 04:33:18 pm »
Turbo Grafx 16

This is the first console that was truly my own. I saved up enough to buy it when the price dropped to ~$160. I use to play a lot of shooters back in the day and this system had a pretty good selection to choose from. I never really had an issue with slow down, but at times the scan lines would make everything disappear (R-Type boss fights) or the sound card would favor the explosions over the music (Super Star Soldier drums cut out when enemies are shot).

I never had the cash for the cd attachment back then, so I'm sticking to the huCards here.

1. Alien Crush
  2. Aero Blasters (sort of: Air Buster on Genesis, arcade name)
  3. Blazing Lazers
  4. Bonks Revenge
  5. Bravoman
  6. Devils Crush
  7. Dragon Spirit
  8. Galaga '90
  9. Legendary Axe
10. Legendary Axe II
11. Ninja Spirit
12. Order of the Griffon (many maps and bum passwords that didn't work here)
13. Parasol Stars (still pissed I cut the barcode off to enter a high score contest that had no outcome)
14. Psychosis
15. R-Type
16. Sidearms
17. Soldier Blade
18. Splatter House
19. Super Star Soldier
20. Veigues Tactical Gladiator

The bad thing about these old games is that 80% on this list can be beat in under an hour.
Yeah you're right I think it must of been because of the graphics or something. They were really polished.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 09:32:32 pm »
The snes has got to be my my #1 but the dreamcast is a close second.

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 01:06:33 am »
SNES is by far my favorite system.

gf78

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 10:55:44 am »

Dunno, I always felt like there was a difference. Plus my PS1 was mainly a non Dual Shock until way later down the line. Which is the reason I still gravitate toward D-Pad controls on driving games to this day.

Some of the internals may have changed, but the PS1 and PS2 dualshock controllers used the exact same mold.  The PS3 DS3 had a slightly modified mold to accommodate the different L2 and R2 buttons as well as the PS button.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us