Author Topic: The Video Game Crash of 1983: Pretty Easy to See Why it Happened  (Read 3011 times)

gf78

The Video Game Crash of 1983: Pretty Easy to See Why it Happened
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:42:25 am »
I love reading about the history of video games, and having been a gamer (albeit a young one) during the era of the great video game crash, I find it fascinating that much of the blame gets placed on Atari and their failures with E.T and Pac-Man.  There is so much more to it. 

For me, the biggest culprit was the sheer number of gaming systems on the market at one time.  There were at one point ten or more gaming systems on the market, not counting variations like the Sears versions of Atari systems.  TI-99, Fairchild Chanel F, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Bally Astrocade, Magnavox Odyssey 2, Intellivision, Emerson Arcadia, ColecoVision and Vectrex all vying for consumer dollars. 

It also didn't help matters that the comparative cost to today's dollar value put these systems at between $400 and $800 each.  The games also retailed for upwards of $50 each and were all varying degrees of crap.  Sure, good ideas and the beginnings of gaming started here and some titles stood the test of time.  But most were derivative garbage, cheap knock-offs of another more successful title or quick cash-ins tied to unrelated franchises.  It was easy to snooker consumers into buying a Star Wars or Spider-Man game that had a cool looking box art, only for them to find the game iside was complete garbage. 

Aside from word-of-mouth from people who already bought the games, people had no way of knowing if the game they were eying was going to be fun or complete garbage.  Retailers had to decide what systems to carry and which not to.  As each console went down in flames, consumer, corporate and retailer faith in the viability of video games continued to dwindle.  I remember going to stores that carried the games.  Stores like K-Mart, KB Toy & Hobby, Woolworth's, Montgomery Ward and Kiddie City (east coast) having these huge bins full of these games for dirt-cheap prices.  They couldn't sell the stuff.  The game manufacturers stopped accepting returns on the unsold merchandise and retailers had no choice but to drop the price of these games to $1.99 or so.  You don't need to be a professor in economics to know that retailers were taking an enormous loss on these games. 

And it was at this very time when gaming was coming apart at the seams that Atari released their two biggest flops in E.T the Extra Terrestrial and a heinous port of Pac-Man. 

Since the 2nd generation of gaming and that big crash of '83, Nintendo pretty much single-handedly resurrected the US video game market.  Sega was the 2nd player to try their hand and Atari continued to hemmorage money with the 7200.  The 7200 and Master System were both pretty much flops, but Nintendo with their in-house marque titles and great, new games from Capcom, Konami, Taito and a handful of others revived the market.

In fact, since the 2nd generation of video game consoles ended, there has never been more than a handful of home consoles on the market at one time.  There have been a few companies try their hand over the years with little or no success.  Neo Geo, 3DO, TurboGrafx, CD-I and a few others threw their hats into the ring up into the mid 90's, but quickly exited the market that Nintendo and Sega-reinvigorated with Sonic and the Geneis/Mega Drive  dominated. 

It wasn't until the mid-90's when Nintendo screwed Sony over and backed out of their deal to make a SNES/Super Famicom CD-ROM add-on that a 3rd viable competitor entered the gaming arena.  But that's a story for another day...
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: The Video Game Crash of 1983: Pretty Easy to See Why it Happened
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:12:15 am »
it's equally interesting that the great crash happened just a few years after the home video game market had already crashed due to oversaturation of the market with pong consoles
you'd think that would have clued 'em in

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:24:14 am »
Great read OP, I wasnt alive for the great crash but also like reading about it. Thankfully I grew up with gaming when it was becoming popular again. I even have a copy of ET i got for free..... I was showing my buddy and he was like, wtf is this haha.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 12:21:25 pm »
Great read OP, I wasnt alive for the great crash but also like reading about it. Thankfully I grew up with gaming when it was becoming popular again. I even have a copy of ET i got for free..... I was showing my buddy and he was like, wtf is this haha.

Thank you.  It was an interesting time growing up experiencing gaming back then.  I "knew" somebody who could copy the Atari 2600 ROM chips back then.  He made me a dummy cartridge that was basically a circuit board with a little lever where you could unplug the ROM chip.  So all I had to do was pop one out, snap another one down and I had a completely different game.  I had literally hundreds of Atari games.  Even some naughty stuff like Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em and Custer's Revenge.   :P
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 12:41:31 pm »
it's equally interesting that the great crash happened just a few years after the home video game market had already crashed due to oversaturation of the market with pong consoles
you'd think that would have clued 'em in

I guess they just thought the Pong mini-crash was because they were all gaming systems that were just...well, Pong.  And now these guys were releasing consoles where you could swap out hundreds of games.  It was like the wild west.  These companies were like settlers, staking their claim.  Unfortunately, none of them were very good. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 01:24:07 pm »
I've mentioned this book a hundred times over on this site, but I'm gonna mention it again:

High Score! The Illustrated History of Electronic Gaming

http://www.amazon.com/Score-Illustrated-History-Electronic-Games/dp/0072224282/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423765264&sr=8-3&keywords=history+of+electronic

It covers the history of gaming from the pre-Pinball up to the 360/PS3/Wii era. Very high production value and chock-full of great information. Big, color, glossy photos, lots of interviews and such. Very well made. And so interesting to read.

I mention it because it has so much on this era of gaming. It covers the U.S. crash, but also goes in to computer and Japanese gaming at the time, which didn't suffer the crash.

My only complaint is the cheap binding. It's basically glued together. Mine is starting to come apart. But well worth reading, regardless.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 01:43:29 pm »
I've mentioned this book a hundred times over on this site, but I'm gonna mention it again:

http://www.amazon.com/Score-Illustrated-History-Electronic-Games/dp/0072224282/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423765264&sr=8-3&keywords=history+of+electronic

It covers the history of gaming from the pre-Pinball up to the 360/PS3/Wii era. Very high production value and chock-full of great information. Big, color, glossy photos, lots of interviews and such. Very well made. And so interesting to read.

I mention it because it has so much on this era of gaming. It covers the U.S. crash, but also goes in to computer and Japanese gaming at the time, which didn't suffer the crash.

My only complaint is the cheap binding. It's basically glued together. Mine is starting to come apart. But well worth reading, regardless.

thanks, i am gonna order me a copy
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 02:36:18 pm »

Thanks!  I remembered you posting that before but my scattered, feeble old mind forgot.  I'm writing it down now and I'm going to check it out as soon as I get home.

indenton

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 03:50:26 pm »
Regardless of whether the market is saturated with poor quality games or not, even the biggest franchises and high profile developers / publishers can throw out a complete mess of a game if they make just one bad decision.  With the ever increasing standards of practically every aspect of our lives, bad games will stand out like a sore thumb. 

As long as just a few people can voice there opinion, with the internet at our finger tips, the rest of the world will find out, and they will rip the game apart. 

amauriel

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 04:33:31 pm »
Here's something I've always wondered...why didn't we have another game crash in the mid 90's? There were SO MANY consoles out at the same time. Was it just because the 3DO, CD-i, Jaguar, and TurboGrafx systems couldn't crack into the market the PlayStation, Saturn, and Super Nintendo had?
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:59:55 pm »
Here's something I've always wondered...why didn't we have another game crash in the mid 90's? There were SO MANY consoles out at the same time. Was it just because the 3DO, CD-i, Jaguar, and TurboGrafx systems couldn't crack into the market the PlayStation, Saturn, and Super Nintendo had?

Because while the other companies were questionable, Nintendo and Sega were arguably at their best during that era.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 12:39:52 am »

It was easy to snooker consumers into buying a Star Wars or Spider-Man game that had a cool looking box art, only for them to find the game iside was complete garbage. 

Capcom did this on their older NES games as well. They put the arcade picture on the back of the box and "state-of-the-art" "High Resolution Graphics" on the front.

maximo310

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 02:16:16 am »

Because while the other companies were questionable, Nintendo and Sega were arguably at their best during that era.
This is pretty much it. The majority of the secondary consoles released in 1991-1995 didn't offer much incentives to consumers that most people would have to enjoy on a Nintendo/Sega ( and eventually Sony) system, and they all had a huge flaw/flaws that gave the console low sales and made sure they didn't last long in most markets. The only exception is the TurboGrafx ( PC Engine) in Japan, because they got a lot of third party publishers to make games for their system, and the multimedia capabilities like the first cd add on prolonged the systems life in Japan to 1994. However, that was the reason why its successor, the PC-FX failed terribly because NEC lost sight of market trends and tried to release a system built on 1992 hardware that specialized in great FMV capabilities, which was something consumers didn't really want in 1994.
Most of those secondary companies didn't recover from those failures. Phillips lost $1 billion thanks to the CDi.

gf78

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:00:13 am »

It was easy to snooker consumers into buying a Star Wars or Spider-Man game that had a cool looking box art, only for them to find the game iside was complete garbage. 

Capcom did this on their older NES games as well. They put the arcade picture on the back of the box and "state-of-the-art" "High Resolution Graphics" on the front.

Very true.  Except Mega Man.  That....that....just...where to begin?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 10:54:11 am »
I've only heard bits and pieces of the whole 'Ninty screwed Sony' thing...

...anyone knowledgeable about it feel like breaking down the who did what to who and why of it?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"