Author Topic: Looking for special games  (Read 1674 times)

Looking for special games
« on: February 12, 2015, 11:07:09 pm »
Hey guys,

Let me start by saying how much I like this site and easy it made for me to catalog my collection, even though I have about 300 items left to put in. Anywaaaaaayys...

These days, I'm looking for games that are interesting mostly for their covers. I don't really care how good or bad the game actually is, I just want it to look interesting (yeah I know that's stupid). So has anyone got any suggestions for me ? I went went for Catherine, Deadly Premonitions (european cover) and Afro Samurai lately, but I'm out of ideas right now. I collect from 2nd to 8th generations BTW.

PS: Sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language.

Omelette du fromage.

Re: Looking for special games
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:24:58 am »
Hey guys,

Let me start by saying how much I like this site and easy it made for me to catalog my collection, even though I have about 300 items left to put in. Anywaaaaaayys...

These days, I'm looking for games that are interesting mostly for their covers. I don't really care how good or bad the game actually is, I just want it to look interesting (yeah I know that's stupid). So has anyone got any suggestions for me ? I went went for Catherine, Deadly Premonitions (european cover) and Afro Samurai lately, but I'm out of ideas right now. I collect from 2nd to 8th generations BTW.

PS: Sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language.

Nah dude, that isn't stupid! A game doesn't have to be good in order to appreciate what it has to offer. There's a lot more to a game than just gameplay. :D

Definitely Catherine! Personally, I like the cover for Bayonetta 2. These may not be what you're looking for, but, if you need ideas...

1. WET
2. LA Noire
3. 999/Virtue's Last Reward (if you're into anime-ish stuff)
4. Hyperdimension Neptunia
5. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Killer is Dead (special edition is like $15 or $20 and comes with cool stuff, I'm not a hack-and-slash guy but idk why it's got such a bad rep)
7. Akai Katana
8.Daedalian Opus
9. Dragon Age
10. Legacy of the Wizard
11. Popolocrois
12. The Saboteur
13. Stranglehold
14. Tactics Ogre
15. Wizards and Warriors
16. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
17. The Third Birthday
18. Persona/Persona 2 (JP)

Idk if these are what you have in mind (maybe you're looking for more 'artistic' covers?), and really, these are just some games from my collection. xD But there's a decent variety to give you some ideas, and most of the actual games are very cheap nowadays.

I would recommend checking out NES/Atari 2600 games, and keeping an eye on handhelds. There's a lot of cool artwork for the former, and I think the latter tends to have more 'different', perhaps playful, artwork. When your box is smaller, I reckon you have to use your real estate more efficiently. XD

If you find some great covers, share 'em with us!  ;D

argyle

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 01:22:25 am »
Checking your collection, I see you already have the game with one of my all-time favorite covers - Kingdom Hearts (the original). I'm not even that big of a KH fan, but I adore that cover - even have a poster of it up in my game room. :) One of my other favorites that I don't see is Dark Cloud 2. Xenoblade is another fantastic one, and I'm also a fan of the original Castlevania on NES but getting that boxed is pretty pricey.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 08:20:00 am »
Here's some of my favorites from my collection, hopefully I won't end up listing a bunch you already have or a bunch other people have already listed.
-Cross Edge (PS3)
-Fantasy Life (3DS)
-The Hatsune Miku franchise of rhythm games has some pretty awesome box art
-Metal Slug XX (PSP)
-Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) - The launch edition bundle with the nice big box looks really cool
-Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (PS2)
-Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
-The Tales of series - I really like the box art for most of the games in the Tales of series
-The Witch and the Hundred Knight (PS3) - This one has a cool looking reversible cover

Also, if you're interested in games mainly for their box art I'd recommend importing some cool looking Japanese games. A lot of Japanese games have better box art than their North American versions, and sometimes they can even be cheaper too.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 11:12:18 am »
doesn't sound crazy to me  ;D

then again - I've bought (yes, as in paid money for!) games that I knew absolutely nothing about, based on nothing more than a whim, cash in my pocket, and art work that I liked.

surprisingly, i've never gotten 'stuck' by this (ended up hating any of the games that I've bought this way) *and* it's why & how I bought my 1st shadow hearts (covenant) & disgaea (the 1st one on the PS2) games...now 2 of my all time favorite games and series 8)

no worries w/ your english - and, there's plenty of others here from where you are who's 1st language wasn't english and/or english isn't the only language that they speak; if you ever need any help...many of us here are (at least) bilingual & cunning linguists :P

welcome to the site, too!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:46:07 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys ! And thank you for those suggestions, I'll definitely take note of those :)

Omelette du fromage.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »
I'll give some "interesting" suggestions. Not sure if these are quite what you are looking for, but at least they may be fun to look at:

Doala de Wii

Romancia

Awesome Pink Cartridge too

Fighters History Dynamite
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 05:34:55 pm »
Love the first one. XD

indenton

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 10:15:36 pm »
I remember a while ago I was searching for some Game Boy games, and I came across this: 

I dunno, it looked interesting enough at the time

indenton

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:31:12 pm »
Also, if you're a fan of ratchet and clank, they have some pretty nice Japanese box art for most of the games.  I especially like the HD trilogy box art.  Might be of an acquired taste though. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:35:50 pm by indenton »

gf78

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 10:38:11 am »
Don't know if you do imports, but the box art for the Japanese Final Fantasy I, II, III and VI are fantastic.  Painted art by Amano who does all the Final Fantasy designs. 

As someone else already said, old Atari 2600 games have really cool box art which were completely non-representative of the game inside.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 02:57:15 pm »
Don't forget about reversible game covers :)

I wish there were a better gallery of all the reversible covers, but here's a list at least:

http://www.giantbomb.com/reversible-cover-art/3015-3983/games/
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas