Author Topic: Should the New Nintendo 3DS be considered a new system?  (Read 2899 times)

silversyx

Should the New Nintendo 3DS be considered a new system?
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:34:01 pm »
I doesn't seem to be an add on like the Sega CD, Sega 32x, or Xbox Kinnect. I does play 3DS games but it does have it's own exclusive games (or game rather). Just wondering thoughts and opinions.

Re: Should the New Nintendo 3DS be considered a new system?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:54:44 pm »
New System? I would say no, mostly because I feel the changes are generally pretty small.

*EDIT*
Rewrote what I had as the comparison I've found that works the best would probably be the DSi.  That had some changes and hardware improvements, but wasn't considered a new system.  That's basically what the New 3DS is.  Not enough to consider it a brand new system for them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:58:39 pm by kamikazekeeg »

theflea

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:59:29 pm »
to me it's like the DS/DS lite vs. the DSi
There was a game that you had to have a DSi to play because of the camera.
Unless I see an explosion of games that are exclusive to the New 3DS, I look at it as just part of the 3DS, 3DSXL and now N3DSXL collection.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

silversyx

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 09:44:16 pm »
I didn't realize the DSi had exclusives too. Nintendo's handhelds continue to confuse me.

So we have the NEW Nintendo 3DS that is Nintendo's newest handheld, not to be confused with the Nintendo 3DS because that is old. (Both of which play New Super Mario Bros.) Then we have the Nintendo 2DS which plays Nintendo 3DS games without the 3D effect and neither the Nintendo 2DS, nor the (OLD) Nintendo 3DS will play NEW Nintendo 3DS exclusive games. Oh and there are XL versions of the (OLD) 3DS and New 3DS. But there is only a regular version of the (old) model... squint emoticon For once, I feel bad for Gamestop employees...

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:55:43 pm »
For once, I feel bad for Gamestop employees...

My bf works at GS, and he says it's difficult enough now asking people if they want a "new" 3DS XL (not pre-owned) or "new New 3DS XL"... -___- poor casual buyers/parents out there
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 10:52:58 pm »

My bf works at GS, and he says it's difficult enough now asking people if they want a "new" 3DS XL (not pre-owned) or "new New 3DS XL"... -___- poor casual buyers/parents out there

Nintendo needs to forever stop naming their things "New".  It's such a terrible idea.  Call it the Super 3DS XL or the 3DS XL Plus or the 3DS XL Ultra or just about anything else other than this!

silversyx

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 11:29:45 pm »
Super Ultra Nintendo 3DS Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha

silversyx

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 11:33:15 pm »
Thank god Capcom doesn't make handhelds...

soera

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 01:12:48 am »
It should be the 3D boy!

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 02:42:57 am »
:-\

Added a small thumbstick and better 3D features.  Plus, older models can't play "New" games, my answer will have to be yes.

Not saying I approve of Nintendo for doing this, but it is what it is.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 03:24:22 am »
We don't have the DSis in its own hardware category, so I'm ok with the New 3DS XL being lumped together with the regular 3DS.  As others have said, it's unclear how many (or how few) games exclusive for the N3DSXL will come out.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 03:39:30 am »
:-\

Added a small thumbstick and better 3D features.  Plus, older models can't play "New" games, my answer will have to be yes.

Not saying I approve of Nintendo for doing this, but it is what it is.

All they did was integrate what the circle pad pro was, which should've been there from the start (Another debacle on Nintendo's part, it's the Motion Plus all over again) and just made the 3D more properly functional.  As hardware, it isn't significantly different.  The new games that will come out are simply benefiting from the altered features and I'm curious if we'll even truly be able to notice the difference when more come out.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 12:18:27 pm »
Amiibos seem like a money trap. I hope that they don't start requiring them for all Nintendo games. Because that will make me make the switch to PS Vita.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 12:40:58 pm »
Amiibos seem like a money trap. I hope that they don't start requiring them for all Nintendo games. Because that will make me make the switch to PS Vita.

This, the whole amiibos thing pisses me off. I dont have the room nor the wiliness to want them/collect them.... It almost like DLCs you need to buy. Nickle and Dime us to death.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 07:40:38 pm »

Nintendo needs to forever stop naming their things "New".  It's such a terrible idea.  Call it the Super 3DS XL or the 3DS XL Plus or the 3DS XL Ultra or just about anything else other than this!

Which is why I tend to write/say 3DS+ when talking about it. Like others have said not enough to call it separate from the 3DS even though it will have it's own games. It's definitely an upgrade, but not as much as going from Gameboy to Gameboy Color more in line with DS to DSi.