Author Topic: Return of the Plastic Instruments (Guitar Hero/Rock Band)  (Read 4256 times)

Return of the Plastic Instruments (Guitar Hero/Rock Band)
« on: February 24, 2015, 02:53:44 pm »
I know the plastic instrument rhythm genre wasn't always the most well regarded thing when it was out and it had problems due to Activision milking the shit out of Guitar Hero, but I loved both Guitar Hero and Rock Band.  I put so much time into them both from the very start.  Well it looks like we are about to see them return. 

Rock Band started to release brand new DLC for the series after dropping it and they've been testing the waters with surveys, leading to the likely return of it.

Guitar Hero seems to be doing the same with something more definite, as it is being said that Guitar Hero will be shown off at E3 and released later in the year.

http://www.destructoid.com/reunion-tour-new-guitar-hero-reportedly-in-development-288131.phtml

I still think these are crazy fun and it would be nice to make a return.  My only issue might end up being they'll make these games only for the PS4 and Xbone.  I don't own either right now and I'm sure Wii U will be the odd console out if they are focused on just current gen systems.  I also worry about whether Activision will handle the series better or not.  Keep the releases to one a year, have a robust DLC schedule, and it'll be just fine.

scott

Re: Return of the Plastic Instruments (Guitar Hero/Rock Band)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:04:57 pm »
I would love to see Rock Band return. I still play the shit out of Rock Band 2 and have been on the look out for a decently priced copy of 3 and a Keyboard. If they released a new Rock Band and made it compatible with the old instruments, I'd buy it. Hell, I might even spring for an updated Drum Kit if they come out with a new one.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:13 pm »
I would love to see Rock Band return. I still play the shit out of Rock Band 2 and have been on the look out for a decently priced copy of 3 and a Keyboard. If they released a new Rock Band and made it compatible with the old instruments, I'd buy it. Hell, I might even spring for an updated Drum Kit if they come out with a new one.

I can't imagine how they'd make the old ones compatible.  The last one was wireless to the 360 and I don't believe 360 controllers work on the Xbone, do they? Same for the PS3 to the PS4, I'm pretty sure those don't work either.

And I still pop in Guitar Hero and Rock Band every so often.  Got two guitars and a drumset still.

Also this opens the possibility of me finally getting that Guitar Hero: Megadeth I always wanted :D

argyle

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 03:19:26 pm »
PS4 would be possible, since they ran off of those usb wireless dongles - would just have to have drivers for them. Whether or not they'll do that is another question.

At any rate - my body is ready. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

retroone

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:27:35 pm »
I am all up for this. I love Guitar Hero and is probably one of the best party games ever (Alongside Mario Party). I feel that a dedicated Guitar Hero: Rush is needed

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 03:31:34 pm »
I am all up for this. I love Guitar Hero and is probably one of the best party games ever (Alongside Mario Party). I feel that a dedicated Guitar Hero: Rush is needed

Rush has some great old songs that would be perfect for it.  Very partial to their 70's material.  Less about their 80's material aside from Moving Pictures.

My top band selection for a game would be Megadeth, Judas Priest, and probably Dio.  Years ago on the Scorehero website, I worked up setlists for all three games I think lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 03:48:08 pm »
Also this opens the possibility of me finally getting that Guitar Hero: Megadeth I always wanted :D

Day 1 pre-order, right here!

I like the music games, too. I just picked up Rock Band 2, for cheap. And I own every single Guitar Hero except Aerosmith (never was big on them). So I welcome this.

scott

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 05:30:00 pm »
.. Ya know.. I forgot all about the switch in console generations... Ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

abe

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 05:42:38 pm »
As others have mentioned, I'd love if they could somehow be compatible with the old Guitar Hero and Rock Band "instruments". I don't really want to end up having to buy more of those silly plastic guitars that take up more space in addition to the silly plastic guitars I already have.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 05:50:37 pm »
Rock Band is the only reason I still have my 360 still hooked up.  I really would hope they have a 360/PS3 option as I switched from PS3 to 360 with Rock Band 2.  Nearly all my DLC is on the 360 and I don't see how they could come up with a system to allow for not only having DLC authenticated across generational hardware but across different companies platforms as well.  I'd actually be OK with having to buy new instruments as most of mine have been put through their paces anyways.  But the DLC is kind of a deal breaker and I don't see how they can pull it off.

I think their best bet is to do what others have suggested and do another specialized version.  I think it would alleviate the feeling that all my DLC should be included.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:52:13 pm by krelyan »

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 06:02:19 pm »
Rock Band is the only reason I still have my 360 still hooked up.  I really would hope they have a 360/PS3 option as I switched from PS3 to 360 with Rock Band 2.  Nearly all my DLC is on the 360 and I don't see how they could come up with a system to allow for not only having DLC authenticated across generational hardware but across different companies platforms as well.  I'd actually be OK with having to buy new instruments as most of mine have been put through their paces anyways.  But the DLC is kind of a deal breaker and I don't see how they can pull it off.

I think their best bet is to do what others have suggested and do another specialized version.  I think it would alleviate the feeling that all my DLC should be included.

This is the exact reason I still have my 360 hooked up too due to all the Rock Band and Guitar Hero DLC and Exports I have.  But yeah, there's no way they'd be able to do something like bringing DLC from the 360 or PS3 onto the new hardware.  A bummer, but that's not something I'd expect to happen anyways.  I'm fine with getting a new guitar though.  It's been almost 5 years since I bought my last one with Warriors of Rock, so getting another isn't a big deal at all.  I'd like to see if they could further improve on the guitars also.  In particular, Rock Band always had the most garbage guitars.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 09:09:25 pm »

This is the exact reason I still have my 360 hooked up too due to all the Rock Band and Guitar Hero DLC and Exports I have.  But yeah, there's no way they'd be able to do something like bringing DLC from the 360 or PS3 onto the new hardware.  A bummer, but that's not something I'd expect to happen anyways.  I'm fine with getting a new guitar though.  It's been almost 5 years since I bought my last one with Warriors of Rock, so getting another isn't a big deal at all.  I'd like to see if they could further improve on the guitars also.  In particular, Rock Band always had the most garbage guitars.

I filed out that survey they emailed out. Would love to see a new version. Still play Rockband 3 when company comes over.

I too would hate to have to buy all new songs again. Must have bought a couple hundred songs plus all the expansion discs. Hopefully some kind of song transfer is available. The problem with DLC...

I forgot about the Rockband guitar  :-\ I was always using the Guitar Hero control.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 10:20:51 pm »
Ive been wanting to rebuy rock band for ps3.... but dont have the room for all that
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

amauriel

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 10:55:03 am »
Regarding compatibility with instruments, I'd love to see Harmonix release something compatible with the Ion Drum Rocker. That thing is huge but Ronalopolis won't get rid of it because it's collectible and those other drum sets are a bit flimsy for someone who has actually played drums in the past. If we could just get another brain for it, that would be awesome. (They sold it with the ability to get brains for other consoles back when it was originally released, so I think it would be possible, if not cost effective.)

I'd also love to see a way to play my Beatles guitars on a new system, but I think that's much less possible, since there were 360 and PS3 versions originally.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

retroone

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 04:01:22 pm »

Rush has some great old songs that would be perfect for it.  Very partial to their 70's material.  Less about their 80's material aside from Moving Pictures.

My top band selection for a game would be Megadeth, Judas Priest, and probably Dio.  Years ago on the Scorehero website, I worked up setlists for all three games I think lol
Guitar Hero Dio? Day 1 Edition Preorder immediately!