Author Topic: Did you ever have "that moment" when you were ashamed to be a gamer?  (Read 12745 times)

desocietas

Re: Did you ever have "that moment" when you were ashamed to be a gamer?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 04:30:08 pm »
I, too, am happy that this thread is helping folks out!

Insektmute, don't let the dating scene get you down.  I had a hard time finding people in my area who shared the same gaming interests (without me going out and working in the gaming industry), but I eventually found some awesome people through this site and Twitch, and now I live with someone who shares a whole bunch of interests with me (he moved from Colorado).

I've always loved that the folks on this site are so open about their love of the hobby, and I've talked to many people of all backgrounds/ages who love gaming and are way nerdier than me, ha.  The fact that they show no shame about it makes me really happy.

It's unfortunate that the people we see IRL often don't share that enthusiasm, but that's what makes the internet great sometimes.

bloodybaron and gf78, I just wanted to say that you should hold on to what you love and don't let anyone stop you from doing what you love.  You're going to always run into folks who disparage your hobby but remember that there are plenty of people who will embrace you and share your same interests.  I think things get better as we get older, too :)

I kind of compare it to how embarrassed I was about the state of my teeth when I was younger.  When I graduated high school and moved on, I found that it really wasn't an issue.  All the pain the other students gave me.. it all disappeared once I left high school and was among other adults.  I realized that it was all petty drama and letting that stuff get to me would be a sign of weakness.  No one outside of school gave a damn ultimately.  So I was able to stop worrying about it and move on and continue to "grow up."
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 04:31:57 pm »
I'm usually ashamed of being a gamer when women are sent rape and death threats for the terrible crime of being women and daring to have an opinion.  Frankly, I would prefer to see more women playing video games.

desocietas

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2015, 04:54:18 pm »
I'm usually ashamed of being a gamer when women are sent rape and death threats for the terrible crime of being women and daring to have an opinion.  Frankly, I would prefer to see more women playing video games.

^^ I thought about bringing this up, too, but honestly I was afraid of bringing it up too much for fear that we'd attract the wrong people to this forum  :'(

It's embarrassing to think that games that do happen to feature strong female characters are now pushed into being condemned for pushing some weird agenda and can't possibly be of quality.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 04:57:44 pm »
There is nothing to be ashamed of. Honestly, I bet the people who always tease gamers/geeks in general deep down wish they were free and open to do what they wanted instead of trying to fit into the public "norm".

I used to feel weird that a guy like myself (pierced, tattooed, harley rider, etc) listened to Celine Dion. But FTW. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 04:58:24 pm »

I didn't get too much into the details of this story. But I thought she was sent those threats because she gave sexual favors for positive game reviews.

desocietas

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 05:11:11 pm »

I didn't get too much into the details of this story. But I thought she was sent those threats because she gave sexual favors for positive game reviews.

I'm not going to get into whether or not those claims are true, but most upsetting is the aftermath of that controversy.  There have been many other women and games that have suffered since.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 05:23:19 pm »
We're not here to discuss Voldemortgate.

I hate to be that guy, but please do not turn this into a discussion about that.

And yes, I am using that name on purpose, because I do not want this forum to become a magnet for THAT.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:24:52 pm by foxhack »

desocietas

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 05:40:14 pm »

I hate to be that guy, but please do not turn this into a discussion about that.

And yes, I am using that name on purpose, because I do not want this forum to become a magnet for THAT.

I agree. I chose not to use any names for that reason as well.  But thanks for stepping in to confirm, Foxhack.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 09:51:47 pm »
Never been ashamed to be a gamer/collector. I've been doing it for 23 years and all my family and friends are fine with it. I don't get bullied, women don't giggle and run, co-workers don't berate me. It's a hobby and that's how I explain it and as such, I don't make it a huge part of my life. It has it's place and it should never overshadow other aspects of your life. If I ever did this and it was pointed out to me, then I'd feel some shame but it hasn't happened.

theflea

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 02:33:52 am »
I can't say I've ever felt "ashamed" of being a gamer, more like felt stupid some times.

Like waiting 6 hours outside a Target in the freezing cold to get a New 3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition and having the cops called on you and have them laugh at you. lol

Going out in a Snowstorm at 6am to wait outside a Target to get a Rosalina Amiibo.

Waiting over night outside a Toy R Us to get a PS3 at launch, then they become common afterwards. lol

Buying a game you think is a good deal (before smart phones or don't have it on me) til you look it up later and see it goes for cheaper online. lol

And most often, Buying a game you swear you don't have then find out you do own it once you get home.
This happens to me the most when I forget my smart phone or can't get a signal (some Sales are in the middle of nowhere) and can't use VGCollect's app. This happens the most with games on multi-platforms, I know I've played the game but I'll think it was on Xbox then find out I own the Xbox version but missing the PS2 version.  :P   
"Happy game hunting!!!"

mrnikon

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 11:27:24 am »
I can't say I've ever felt "ashamed" of being a gamer, more like felt stupid some times.

Like waiting 6 hours outside a Target in the freezing cold to get a New 3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition and having the cops called on you and have them laugh at you. lol

Going out in a Snowstorm at 6am to wait outside a Target to get a Rosalina Amiibo.

Waiting over night outside a Toy R Us to get a PS3 at launch, then they become common afterwards. lol

Buying a game you think is a good deal (before smart phones or don't have it on me) til you look it up later and see it goes for cheaper online. lol

And most often, Buying a game you swear you don't have then find out you do own it once you get home.
This happens to me the most when I forget my smart phone or can't get a signal (some Sales are in the middle of nowhere) and can't use VGCollect's app. This happens the most with games on multi-platforms, I know I've played the game but I'll think it was on Xbox then find out I own the Xbox version but missing the PS2 version.  :P
Were you the only one in line at Target when the cops got called on you?

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 01:41:23 pm »

I would agree. When my gun forum brought it up. I told them to shut down the thread. We don't need a bunch of stupid crap happening because of it.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 03:07:46 pm »
I personally don't understand waiting for hours or camping overnight or going out in bad/dangerous weather for a video game (or a movie, or a concert, or Black Friday etc). I'm also one to not wait in a line 12 cars deep, idling for a half hour to get gas because it's going up 10 cents that night. People used to wait in bread lines for food because they were starving and couldn't afford anything, it just seems dumb to voluntarily do the same thing a few decades later for something as immaterial as a video game.

It seems to be a societal thing that transcends just video games so I'm sorry if this insults some people because I am a big gamer and collector but even I don't understand it.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 09:09:11 pm »
I used to feel silly, childish, immature etc. at work and church. Until I realised how sad all the people sound who talk about how they are too busy for that kind of thing.

By sad I mean I pity them. They fill their lives with so much stuff they seriously have no time for pure recreation?

I still get moments where I feel those things. Then I remind myself it's ok to do something just for me. That's relaxing or stress relieving.

I'm many things. Gamer is just one of them. I wear the badge with honor!

Balance, not an endless todo list, is the key to a happy life.

The More You Know...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:10:45 pm by dashv »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 03:16:39 am »
I personally don't understand waiting for hours or camping overnight or going out in bad/dangerous weather for a video game (or a movie, or a concert, or Black Friday etc). I'm also one to not wait in a line 12 cars deep, idling for a half hour to get gas because it's going up 10 cents that night. People used to wait in bread lines for food because they were starving and couldn't afford anything, it just seems dumb to voluntarily do the same thing a few decades later for something as immaterial as a video game.

It seems to be a societal thing that transcends just video games so I'm sorry if this insults some people because I am a big gamer and collector but even I don't understand it.

On launch night for PS4. I had a friend ask me if I wanted to go to Best Buy early and wait in line all day... And I was like I guess(i wasnt working) and he was like cool, you wait in line for me(he was buying a ps4) and ill come along in the evening time and join you... And I was like woo woo wait... Aren't you gonna be out there with me? He was like naw man, I am gonna go to Disneyland with my girlfriend, but don't worry, Ill join you in the evening... And i was like hell no, I am not gonna wait in line all day for you. Just so you can buy a ps4. If you want it that bad, you will go wait in line and ill join you.

I told him, but if you really want me to wait in line all day while you at Dland... Cool. you buy me a ps4 too and ill do it... He said no haha
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730