Author Topic: PS Vita...Wow  (Read 2527 times)

richvgs

PS Vita...Wow
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:20:32 pm »
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a PS Vita for a bit because they have some cool looking JRPG titles.  I started looking at pricing and it blows my mind how much the Vita memory cards cost.  $79.99 for a 32GB memory card?  Are you kidding me?  I just bought a 128GB microSD card for $40.  No wonder the Vita never caught on.  I can't believe Sony is still charging such a high price for this.

maximo310

Re: PS Vita...Wow
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:16:05 am »
Yeah, every vita game needs memory card space, but their pricing is terrible for their memory card pricing, especially if you want a 16gb card or higher. Even with the discounts on amazon, its still pretty pricey, and its one of the biggest flaws in the system. Sony just doesn't seem to care about this, seeing as they've pretty much given up on the Vita in Europe and the Americas. I don't have a vita yet, but I'm really hoping that some of these accessories will get cheaper over time, but I'd doubt it. Just look for good deals by comparing different retailers on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:18:02 am by maximo310 »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:25:19 am »
I am a sony fan, but they piss me off when it comes to the vita, I want to buy one, but there is so much wrong with it, I can't bring myself to buy one.....

Like said above, Sony pretty much given up on it. Shame
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:47:10 am »
Try Ebay if you haven't. Got my Vita with a game and some memory for a very nice price.  :)

It's definitely not a bad system, but (no matter what people say) I think it still has a pretty under-developed library. There's definitely titles worth buying... if you're into those titles.

But yeah. Sony's attempts at making sure their handhelds/games aren't hacked, edited, etc. have only ever hindered their sales, and I don't know WHY they can't see that. The memory is priced in a ridiculous fashion. Same for the PSP (at the time, at least)... plus, the whole UMD thing.

And it's a shame. I actually like my PSP and Vita better than my DS and 3DS, in general, and I won't be very happy if Nintendo ends up having a monopoly on the mobile gaming part of the industry (well, minus tablets and such, but I'm talking dedicated handheld gaming platforms). I don't really care for 1st party Nintendo titles, so that'd really put a bee in my bonnet, especially considering that I do more handheld gaming than console gaming. :/

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 01:51:37 am »
Get yourself one of these and go back to enjoying the affordability and standard universality of micro SD. :)

http://www.amazon.com/MicroSD-Memory-adapter-microSD-microSDHC/dp/B004GXKI04

I got one of these to use in my PSP and never looked back.

It will take 2 32 gig cards at once for up to 64gig.

The only catch is you need to add both cards _before_ you format it and you have to keep them in afterwards.

You can't add one now then another later.

abe

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:01:10 am »
Get yourself one of these and go back to enjoying the affordability and standard universality of micro SD. :)

The only catch is you need to add both cards _before_ you format it and you have to keep them in afterwards.

Why would OP get one of those if he's complaining about Vita memory card prices? The problem is with Vita memory card prices because there are no alternatives like there are with the PSP.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 08:01:19 am »
if you're mainly interested in jrpgs - since most all of them seem to be Vita/PSTV compatible - pick one up instead of a Vita, make do with smaller & cheaper memory cards, and gain the convenience of playing games on your tv & using a bigger controller FTW, baby!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

gf78

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 11:36:46 am »
The memory card prices are ludicrous.  There is no denying that.

If you want a Vita, buy a bundle version that includes the 8GB memory card.  You can connect to your PS4 or PS3 (I believe it works on both) and store your games you aren't currently playing.  I have a 16GB card in mine and it does ok for me.  But it becomes a real problem when most games for the thing are download-only.  It can fill up pretty quickly.

And ^ right there is the real rub for me.  Download-only games.  The only game Sony seems bothered to put out this year is MLB the Show for physical release.  There are the obligatory Lego games and some really niche Japanese RPG's, but if you aren't into that you are pretty much beat on buying a new game physically.  It looks like Tecmo may release the Toukiden sequel so there is that. 

Sony doesn't advertise the system or release games to retail for it.  It's like they are just saying "We don't give a f*ck." so the retailers say "Oh yea, well we don't give a f*ck either." 

And I have no problem with indie games.  A lot of them are pretty damn fun.  But for the most part, indie releases are stylized after the 8/16-bit era or at best, don't push the graphics envelope.  And it's a shame to see a system with the power to pump out graphics the caliber of Uncharted Golden Abyss and Killzone Mercenary being relegated to old-school graphics.  Again, no problem with those types of games, but sad not to see the system get pushed with heavy hitters.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 12:18:33 pm »

Why would OP get one of those if he's complaining about Vita memory card prices? The problem is with Vita memory card prices because there are no alternatives like there are with the PSP.

Because for 2 dollars he can use cheap sd cards in his vita... ?

gf78

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 12:33:31 pm »

I believe the adapter in the Amazon listing is only for a PSP where you can use a MicroSD card in place of the Memory Stick Pro.  I think the MicroSD cards are all larger than the Vita's proprietary format and therefore, there is no adapter.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

abe

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:39:30 pm »

You linked to a listing for a PSP memory card (pro duo) adapter. The PS Vita uses a completely different memory card than the PSP. There are no adapters for for Vita memory cards and there probably never will be, since Vita memory cards are only barely larger than micro SD cards. That's why we're forced to buy Sony's horribly priced proprietary memory cards.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 04:00:08 pm »

You linked to a listing for a PSP memory card (pro duo) adapter. The PS Vita uses a completely different memory card than the PSP. There are no adapters for for Vita memory cards and there probably never will be, since Vita memory cards are only barely larger than micro SD cards. That's why we're forced to buy Sony's horribly priced proprietary memory cards.

My bad. For some reason I thought it also used memory stick.

Thanks for the correction. :)

gf78

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 06:23:44 pm »
Just a bit of info for those interested. I have a 16GB Vita memory card. I have the icons/basic startup files for 14 retail games. I also have the following games & apps installed.

Best of Board Games
CounterSpy
Deathmatch Village
Dokuro
Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition
Escape Plan
Fat Princess Piece of Cake
Final Horizon
Get off my Lawn!
The Hungry Horde
Joe Danger
Kick and Fennick
Lone Survivor
Luftrausers
Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD
Mutant Mudds Deluxe
No Heroes Allowed:  No Puzzles Either!
OlliOlli 2
Rogue Legacy
Shake Spears!
Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate
Stealth Inc.
The Swapper
Terraria
Titan Attacks!
Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
Velocity Ultra
Woah Dave!
YouTube
Netflix
Facebook
Tunein
Crunchy Roll

With all of that, I still have 2.6 gigs free.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 08:25:33 pm »
Yeah they've only slightly gotten cheaper as time goes on...

If anything, try to catch it when it's on sale.  During Christmas, Gamestop had vita memory cards for 50% off.  I got a 16gb for under $20 and should've gone back to get the 32gb for $40.

It's crazy that the proprietary stuff costs that much. It's one of the things I'm grateful for with Nintendo - the new 3DS takes microSD cards, and I picked up a 32gb one for something around $10.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 01:44:00 pm »
Yeah they've only slightly gotten cheaper as time goes on...

If anything, try to catch it when it's on sale.  During Christmas, Gamestop had vita memory cards for 50% off.  I got a 16gb for under $20 and should've gone back to get the 32gb for $40.

See above. One year I got the 16GB for $20, the next I got the 32GB for $40. I kick myself for not getting two of the 32Gb but I can wait til this  year's sale.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.