Author Topic: The Nintendo "NX"  (Read 26634 times)

Re: The Nintendo "NX"
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 07:52:51 pm »
Rumors are abound to varying degrees of possible legitness.  The Pokemon Sun and Moon reveal lead credence to a leak about it and the idea that the new Zelda will pull a Twilight Princess and release on both Wii U and NX at the end of this year.

A new rumor going around from someone who seems to be considered trustworthy.  It sounds like a huge tech jump for a system if it turns out to be true and it being easy to develop for will certainly work to bring more developers back to the system.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-a-leaker-with-a-great-track-record-revealed-megatons-of-info-about-ni

-It has a wireless HDMI dongle that attaches flush to the back of the device. You can pull it out and insert it into any display with a normal sized HDMI output.

-The device uses an evolved version of the Wii U's streaming tech to display in HD on the TV screen.

-Analog controls for movement have small motors in them for full haptic feedback (e.g. if you control a character and hit a wall, the sticks move away from the wall to simulate hitting it)

-Bluetooth synch with tons of devices is supported, including smartphones and tablets.

-You can answer phone calls and display text messages from your phone onto NX screen(s).

-It is closest to the Xbox One in terms of power.

-All tech involved uses the exact same hardware layout as the PS4 and Xbox One

-Any game that can run on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One can easily run on the NX with almost no modifications required. This is even more true if the game runs on Android OS or Unreal Engine 4. One third-party developer said "it's the easiest device we've ever developed for. You just take your code, compile it and it works."

-We should look to Pokémon GO to get an idea of the type of social features that will be in NX.

-It will take multiplayer, AR, and the StreetPass concept to a whole new level.

-The strengths of the device are its usability and ease of use.

-Devs describe it visually and functionally as "as if Samsung and the Nintendo 2DS had a baby."

-It looks friendly, but unlike what most people believe a Nintendo device to typically look like.

-The operating system, named NintendOS, is very powerful and has many modern features of mobile operating systems.

-Nintendo is trying to be very careful in showing it off for fear that it would be mistaken as running Android.

-Very strong networking functions, as it ties into multiple devices and services. This allows for a very competent and pervasive eco-system designed to constantly involve the consumer's life.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2016, 09:14:24 pm »
They could stamp a pile of shit with a Mario head and I'd buy it.  I'm just glad that Nintendo is going to do something to compete.  I honestly believe they could take over if they built a machine like the Xbone and PS4.  They have the best 1st party of any of the consoles.  The other two are winning on 3rd party support. 

Microsoft and Sony should be very concerned about this news

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 10:43:47 pm »
They could stamp a pile of shit with a Mario head and I'd buy it.  I'm just glad that Nintendo is going to do something to compete.  I honestly believe they could take over if they built a machine like the Xbone and PS4.  They have the best 1st party of any of the consoles.  The other two are winning on 3rd party support. 

Yeah of everything I've bought for the PS4 so far, only one was like amazing good, and that is Bloodborne.  Luckily they have a number of exclusives that look great this year, but I think if the NX makes it out this year, with big third party support and some big first party games that include a brand new Zelda on launch (I could see them doing a similar thing to Star Fox, because why not?), I could see Nintendo making a possible dent, or at the very least, making things look even worse for Microsoft since Sony is in to strong of a place right now.

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 07:10:20 am »

Microsoft perhaps but the PS4 already has a large install base and with some of their biggest exclusives such as Uncharted 4 and Persona 5 on the horizon that's only set to grow. The PS4 could hit 50 million units sold before NX even get's released; and from that position you generally only grow with friends wanting the console their friends have or perhaps people wanting to buy the latest model.

Microsoft though, yeah could be concerned, as Nintendo really could put it up to them in the race to be number 2.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 12:45:43 pm »
Yep, Mario is the best platformer, Zelda the best adventure series, Metroid is so good that it started an entire genre (Metoridvania), people seem to love the building aspect of Mario Maker, and then there's the multiplayer of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. And then you have all the kiddies addicted to Pokemon and Amiibos. Easily the best first-party support. I agree that Sony is good, too, but Nintendo is in a league of it's own with first-party titles.

If Nintendo built a capable machine and could persuade third-party support back to it's console, I agree that they could take back that #1 spot they used to have.

telly

« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 12:58:15 pm »
I know I would really be excited Nintendo's next console if they brought the 3rd party support back! Since only buying one console would be realistically within my budget, I don't go with Nintendo because they don't have outside people making games for it.  :-\
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 12:58:35 pm »
If Nintendo built a capable machine and could persuade third-party support back to it's console, I agree that they could take back that #1 spot they used to have.

Not this generation, I think it's too late for that with Sony, but as long as their sales are good and they stay competitive with them, certainly having the chance to catch up to Microsoft at least, by the next generation with a smarter business model going on, they could give the PS5 a good run for its money for sure.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2016, 01:07:19 pm »
^ I don't know. There really haven't been too many "must-have" games this generation, yet. And a few of the bigger ones, were actually Nintendo titles. I think there's still room for Nintendo to win out, if they could pull off third-party support.

« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 01:26:32 pm »
^ I don't know. There really haven't been too many "must-have" games this generation, yet. And a few of the bigger ones, were actually Nintendo titles. I think there's still room for Nintendo to win out, if they could pull off third-party support.

Well there are a lot coming to the PS4 and the PS4 has already sold insanely well.  Nintendo could have it's greatest lineup ever and still never catch up.  It's too late in the cycle for Nintendo to make a dent like that.  They could fairly easily take the #2 position I think since Microsoft is floundering with many "exclusive" game issues.  I mean there's a chance that not even Halo will stay exclusive to the Xbone, which is kind of a big deal.

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 02:31:52 pm »
Nintendo has the pull to bring people in, but if they can manage solid third party support, they will have a reason for people to stay as well.

I will say however, if Nintendo released the NX this year, and I would buy launch day for sure, even if starting from launch day all multi-platform titles launched simultaneously with NX, I don't know if I'd buy for NX.  It would take something special for me to choose NX over PS4/X1.  Though, I've not chosen a console between PS4/X1, so they could steal it.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 06:50:22 pm »
third party support would be nice as long as they don't botch it like they did on the Wii U and make the NX ports inferior
Watch Dogs, Arkham Origins, injustice anyone...

« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2016, 06:59:22 pm »
Seeing that the rumor says it's on par with the Xbone and it's hardware allows for very easy ports from both the other consoles, I imagine they shouldn't have much trouble with third party support any longer, though they probably have to win back some developers.

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2016, 03:58:03 am »
I think if NX is launching this fall (let's say early November); it's launch month line up needs to be something like this:

First Party Titles:
TBA Zelda Title
Smash Bros NX (port of Wii U version)
New 3D Mario Title
Xenoblade Chronicles X (port of Wii U version)
Entire Wii U Virtual Console Library available at launch (cross-platform)

Third Party Titles:
Call of Duty 2016
Battlefield 5
Fifa 17 (+ NFL, NBA, UFC etc.)
Mass Effect Andromeda
Final Fantasy XV

And some other lesser titles to pad it out that aren't worth me mentioning.

I think with a launch window like that; people will jump on board.

gf78

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2016, 10:27:05 am »
It's too late for Nintendo - even if all the stars aligned - to get anywhere near the sales of the PS4 this generation.  By this upcoming holiday season when the NX could realistically launch, the PS4 will be hovering around 45-48 million units sold.  If Nintendo can release their own games and 3rd party games arrive day & date and match the PS4 and Xbox One games feature-for-feature, they have a realistic chance of catching up to the Xbox One or surpassing it, even with Microsoft's 18 million or whatever lead.  I say whatever because the numbers are bad enough that MS doesn't report them any longer. 

As long as Nintendo continues to use physical media instead of download-only bullshit and some of the rumored features pan out, I see myself buying one.

And who here didn't see a simultaneous Wii U/NX Zelda launch from a mile away?   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2016, 12:44:45 pm »
The N64 was released later than the PS1 and Saturn, and it seemed to hold it's own.