Author Topic: The Nintendo "NX"  (Read 26978 times)

Re: The Nintendo "NX"
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »
The N64 was released later than the PS1 and Saturn, and it seemed to hold it's own.
PS1 - 102.5m
N64 - 33m

More than 3 times the amount....

Yes it beat the Saturn but that wouldn't be hard.

That said the PS4 is predicted by experts to hit 100m in its life cycle (PS5 predicted for 2019). One would presume the NX's life cycle would be at least till 2020 (in terms of it being the primary console for Nintendo); I'm sure Nintendo will hope it lasts longer but the late entries into the console generation never last as long as those that begin the generation.

So if NX can sell about 35m units in those 4 years, well it would be somewhat of a success in my eyes, however I'm not sure that with the cost of R&D and manufacturing for modern consoles; will 35m be enough to make it a commercial success? I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:46:09 pm by kmacdw »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2016, 02:53:31 pm »
The N64 was released later than the PS1 and Saturn, and it seemed to hold it's own.

They still work.  That's one thing it has going for it.

So if NX can sell about 35m units in those 4 years, well it would be somewhat of a success in my eyes, however I'm not sure that with the cost of R&D and manufacturing for modern consoles; will 35m be enough to make it a commercial success? I don't know.

It'll be a slow burn for the NX.  It's an odd time to be getting into the console game.  If they can make a dent and release the the NX2 the same year as PS5, they'll be right in the hunt. 

If Nintendo can have COD, Madden, (Insert Very Popular Game), and then they're first party line up; watch out world. 

With the popularity of Bayonetta, I can see Nintendo creating more mature type games.

gf78

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2016, 03:07:37 pm »

It'll be a slow burn for the NX.  It's an odd time to be getting into the console game.  If they can make a dent and release the the NX2 the same year as PS5, they'll be right in the hunt. 

If Nintendo can have COD, Madden, (Insert Very Popular Game), and then they're first party line up; watch out world. 

With the popularity of Bayonetta, I can see Nintendo creating more mature type games.

didn't Bayonetta 2 sell like complete ass though?  And not sure about the "they still work" comment if that was inferring that the PlayStation's don't work any longer, but I have five of them and all read and play discs just fine. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2016, 03:16:05 pm »

The N64 was only released a year later than the PlayStation and was absolutely trounced in sales.  The Wii anomaly aside, Nintendo has been on a downhill slide with each subsequent console generation.  I've rounded the numbers up to the nearest "million." 

NES:  62 million
SNES:  50 million
N64:  33 million
Gamecube:  22 million
Wii:  101 million
Wii U:  13 million (in three years)

Comparatively, PlayStation has gained ground each generation with the exception of the PS3 which lost out to bonkers people buying Wii's instead.   :P

PlayStation:  103 million
PlayStation 2:  155 million
PlayStation 3:  80 million (as of December 2013, no newer figures available)
PlayStation 4:  36 million (in two years)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2016, 03:30:52 pm »

If PS5 is coming out in 2019 as predicted. What's the point in bringing out the NX for just 3 years? I can't see that being the case. Fans would lose their heads; I know plenty of Nintendo fans who feel betrayed that the Wii U got so little support and now that support is being cut out. If people were to buy an NX this fall; only for Nintendo to launch a follow up in 2019, well i think that could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

If I was Nintendo I wouldn't be launching a console now. I'd plan a launch of a new system for fall 2018; I'd make it the best it can be and I'd give developers the time to make the best launch line up ever known to man. I'd grab the market before Sony and Microsoft even get to announce their new consoles. I'm sure 3DS and mobile could keep them afloat until then. Obviously that isn't happening but that would probably have been the best plan.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:29 pm »

If PS5 is coming out in 2019 as predicted. What's the point in bringing out the NX for just 3 years? I can't see that being the case. Fans would lose their heads; I know plenty of Nintendo fans who feel betrayed that the Wii U got so little support and now that support is being cut out. If people were to buy an NX this fall; only for Nintendo to launch a follow up in 2019, well i think that could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

If I was Nintendo I wouldn't be launching a console now. I'd plan a launch of a new system for fall 2018; I'd make it the best it can be and I'd give developers the time to make the best launch line up ever known to man. I'd grab the market before Sony and Microsoft even get to announce their new consoles. I'm sure 3DS and mobile could keep them afloat until then. Obviously that isn't happening but that would probably have been the best plan.

That'd probably be the best move.
Will they make the best move?  I doubt it.

rryan60462

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2016, 08:30:10 pm »
I for one do not understand why nintendo still exists. The Wii was a fantastic advance in video games yes, but since its launch, it seems like all they are doing is re-releasing old software and hardware over and over and over again. They have made so many bad choices that it amazes me that they are still around. I really wish they would just take a break on all of thier main franchises and create like 2-5 brand new ones that have good teams involved with them. And for the love of god get some THIRD PARTY SUPPORT!!! Would it kill them to not launch a system with a mario or zelda game haha.

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2016, 08:38:04 pm »
I for one do not understand why nintendo still exists. The Wii was a fantastic advance in video games yes, but since its launch, it seems like all they are doing is re-releasing old software and hardware over and over and over again. They have made so many bad choices that it amazes me that they are still around. I really wish they would just take a break on all of thier main franchises and create like 2-5 brand new ones that have good teams involved with them. And for the love of god get some THIRD PARTY SUPPORT!!! Would it kill them to not launch a system with a mario or zelda game haha.

Mario and Zelda are necessary to Nintendo's survival, not just new IP's. The Wii U hasn't even had it's Zelda yet and it's looking to get it the moment it is dead.  The third party support issue came about because of the systems hardware not being up to snuff, meaning they couldn't port games over easily.  The NX should remedy a lot of this and hopefully after successes like with Splatoon, we can see a few new interesting IP's show up.

rryan60462

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2016, 09:04:20 pm »

Mario and Zelda are necessary to Nintendo's survival, not just new IP's. The Wii U hasn't even had it's Zelda yet and it's looking to get it the moment it is dead.  The third party support issue came about because of the systems hardware not being up to snuff, meaning they couldn't port games over easily.  The NX should remedy a lot of this and hopefully after successes like with Splatoon, we can see a few new interesting IP's show up.

I agree with most of this. Don't get me wrong though, i dont hate nintendo, they are one of the greats. But they just make dumb choices imo. Just like sony with their damn handhelds. Very little support combined with proprietary memory cards that are crazy expensive can only equal failure. I'm just trying to say if they are gonna make a new mario, zelda, metroid, ect. make it right. Make it in todays standards, not just a shiny new version with some updated features. Incorporate online multiplayer in some way like other games and for the love of god change some of the stories haha.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2016, 09:47:55 pm »
Splatoon was kind of a hit.  It was a new IP. 

I think some of the things you want have been addressed by the NX.  They're trying to build 3rd party support.  Hopefully they'll build a good online system.  Why can't they just rip off Xbox Live?  It's a really good example.

gf78

« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:15 am »

That's partially true.  But many games were still made for the PS3 and 360 up until recently.  The reason 3rd parties stopped or didn't even start releasing their games on the Wii U is simply because 3rd party games don't sell on the Wii U.  It's been a progressive trend since the N64.  Fewer and fewer publishers/developers take a chance on releasing their titles on Nintendo systems because they are seeing diminishing returns. 

Nintendo planning to launch a new console three years into the current cycle is tantamount to retail suicide, especially with the PS4 selling as fantastically as it is. 

I'll end up buying the NX or whatever because I do love Nintendo games.  But let's be realistic..I"m going to put it out their right now.  The NX will sell about the same as the Wii U, maybe a little better.  And that's it.  Nintendo hasn't learned from their past mistakes.  Hell, they still can't even get their user accounts on the same page.  I have to download my Super Smash Wii U characters, then enter a stupid code on the 3DS or vice versa to download them there!  It's ridiculous.   ::)

soera

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2016, 09:46:35 am »
I hate to say it but what honestly should happen is that Nintendo and Microshaft should pair up. Nintendo can make the system and MS can make games. It would put some decently popular games on Nintendo's systems and it would get MS out of the console business and back into the software business.

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2016, 09:48:20 am »

That's partially true.  But many games were still made for the PS3 and 360 up until recently.  The reason 3rd parties stopped or didn't even start releasing their games on the Wii U is simply because 3rd party games don't sell on the Wii U.  It's been a progressive trend since the N64.  Fewer and fewer publishers/developers take a chance on releasing their titles on Nintendo systems because they are seeing diminishing returns. 

Nintendo planning to launch a new console three years into the current cycle is tantamount to retail suicide, especially with the PS4 selling as fantastically as it is. 

I'll end up buying the NX or whatever because I do love Nintendo games.  But let's be realistic..I"m going to put it out their right now.  The NX will sell about the same as the Wii U, maybe a little better.  And that's it.  Nintendo hasn't learned from their past mistakes.  Hell, they still can't even get their user accounts on the same page.  I have to download my Super Smash Wii U characters, then enter a stupid code on the 3DS or vice versa to download them there!  It's ridiculous.   ::)
That's most of it.  The other part is the fact that, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, UE is not natively compatible with the Wii U, the folks working on the Bloodstained port are the first people to go all in on trying to get UE running on Wii U.

I'll just throw a similar situation in there.  The Virtual boy was released before the N64, it failed so fast and so hard.  Then they released the N64.  At the time, folks were saying the same thing about Nintendo, talking about how stupid they were to make the [Wii U/Virtual Boy] and that they are going to go out of business doing this stuff like releasing a new console like [NX/N64] so soon.  Will the NX turn things around and put them on top?  Of course not, but it's a step in the right direction.  Despite what Soera will say, the N64 definitely helped Nintendo recover after the Virtual Boy.

It is true though, Nintendo's hardware has been consistently behind the curve for the past 20 years.  But despite what folks are saying, Nintendo is posting profits.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:59:00 am by ctracy87 »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2016, 09:49:05 am »
Nintendo hasn't learned from their past mistakes.

I think they finally have.  That's a big reason that they aren't building an cheaper, under-powered machine this time around.  They are also trying to woo third party support by making the system easier to develop for. 

It may be their Dreamcast, but at least changes are coming.

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2016, 10:02:18 am »
Nintendo hasn't learned from their past mistakes.

I think they finally have.  That's a big reason that they aren't building an cheaper, under-powered machine this time around.  They are also trying to woo third party support by making the system easier to develop for. 

It may be their Dreamcast, but at least changes are coming.
The NX would have to do really bad for it to be Nintendo's Dreamcast.

Sega was posting big losses around the Dreamcast's release.  Nintendo has been profitable lately, they'd have to fuck up pretty hard to hit SEGA lows.