Author Topic: Favorite Video Game Genres  (Read 2885 times)

Favorite Video Game Genres
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:27:03 pm »
Just wondering what everyone's favorite genres are and maybe suggest some other games to chek out.

#1- 2D fighting games, I dont know what it is but I love 2D fighting games, they're so different, yet share a common element... to kick some ass =] and I love em. My favorites would be The King of fighters series, Samurai shodown and X-men vs Street Fighter.
#2- Run n' Gun games, overhead and sidescrollling, Obviously the contra series and Metal Slug series are my favorite but I also love to play Alien Hominid, Commando and Shock troopers.
#3- Adventure/Platforming games, What more needs to be said I mean we all know the classics, Mario, Kid Icarus, Metroid but there is also some underrated ones, at least in my opinion, such as Blaster Master, and Blues Journey.

scott

Re: Favorite Video Game Genres
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:01:48 pm »
Lets see, my top 3 genres would be something like this:

1: Shmups: vertical and horziontal scrolling shooters. The classics like Gradius, Raiden and 194x series get some decent play, but I have a huge love for bullet hell shmups. Something to do with the extreme difficulty and the feeling accomplishment when I make it further than I had previously on a credit. My mame cabinet was built for vertical shmups and I named it "Shmup" in honor of them.

2: RPGs: I'm a rpg gamer from why back. I've played a P&P on Saturday nights with my cousins and some friends forever. As far as video gaming goes, I'm mostly about JRPGs, like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. I also enjoy the games like BGII: Shadows of Amn, Dragon Age, Fallout etc. But like many others I grew up on the JRPG so they hold a special place in my gaming history.

3: Platforming: honestly, I don't know how you can't have this in a top 3. There's just something about a solid 2D platformer. Of course it's on my list thanks to Castlevania, Mario, Metroid and Bionic Commando. :)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:18 pm »
#1- Good games
#2- Hilariously bad games (such as ET, Superman 64, Shaq Fu)

.... Does that count?

Favorite genres? I can barely choose, since I like anything as long as it isn't boring to play (or, if it sucks, it has to suck in a funny way).
Platformers are probably at the top, but otherwise... I like variety :P

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:41:40 pm »
@Scott I find that really cool how you like shmups so much and JRPG's as well cause they are quite different, not that that is a bad thing,  I dont know I have to really be in the mood for an RPG but I do prefer JRPG's as well, espeially on the SNES, I cant really get into newer ones even in the playstation era, I guess I just like em 2D.
How about you?

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:32:24 pm »
3: Platforming: honestly, I don't know how you can't have this in a top 3.

I've *always* been terrible with platformers.  Definitely not in my top 3 :P
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:32:59 pm »
@kingrat101 My first RPG was Dragon Warrior, I played the crap out of that game as a kid. But, I really didn't get into rpgs until the 16 bit era when I got my hands on FFII, FFIII, Chrono Trigger and Shining Force. I don't focus only on JRPGs though and since I've played D&D and other P&P tabletop games for years I also love games like Baldur's Gate, or dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder. Or pretty much anything that gives me that P&P feel or allows for heavy customization of characters skillsets. The Fallout and Elder Scrolls games are high on my list thanks to the sheer amount of character customization in them. Honestly, the skill up system in those two games is almost like playing a video game version of the current P&P RPG we are playing, which is an old game from the early 80's called RuneQuest. Also, I prefer when an RPG is a bit on the tough side and I'm a loot whore, so grinding levels never bothered me cause usually I'm farming gold for the best available gear at each new town anyway.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:47:03 pm »
@Scott Oh man Shining Force is great I love that game, Yeah I think the only newer RPG I've gotten into is Boarderlands. I just dont think I have enough patience for RPG's in general. But that's great man I can only dream of acually being good at RPG's. The only Dungeon Crawler I got into is Y's book 1 and 2 for the Turbo CD, if that even qualifies. I think I only beat Earthbound, Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger and it took me forever. Obviously though I think I just dig more of the arcade style games that are quick fun games that are pretty easy to beat but are so much more addicting, at least to me, than anything I've ever played.
And to Desocietas, How do you feel about 3D platformers? For me they always felt awkward because of the camera angles, or do you just not like platformers at all whether it be 3D or 2D?

darko

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:26:30 am »
Favorite Genres:

1. Survival Horror - RE2, Silent Hill 2, Alan Wake, Cold Fear, Dead Space
2. JRPG - Chrono Trigger, FFVI, FFXII, Shining Force, Star Ocean, Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, Shadow Hearts, Dark Souls, etc, etc, etc.
3. Action/Adventure - A Link to the Past, Super C, Dual Hearts, Beyond Good and Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of the Colossus, Red Dead Redemption.

The survival horror genre is my favorite. Unfortunately, not many games fall into this category. It is one of the only genres that has gotten better and better with each advance in console generation in my opinion.  JRPGs are plentiful and there are plenty of solid offerings. The Action/Adventure genre is tricky because almost every genre that's not racing, sim, sports, turn-based or puzzle could probably go here.

If I had to pick a single game out of each genre to be my favorite:

Silent Hill 2
FFVI
A Link to the Past

If I had to pick a single series of games out of each genre:

Silent Hill
Shin Megami Tensi
Metal Gear

To complicate things even more...favorite story:

Final Fantasy X

And favorite game:

Chrono Trigger - As a game (regardless of genre) this barely edges it out over FFVI in my book. However, as an RPG specifically, I like FFVI better.

I have a difficult time with questions like this :)

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:02:17 am »
1. Sports - it really doesn't matter what sport it is I just love sports games. NHL 2k9, NBA 2K11, Skate 3, UFC 2012, Table Tennis, WWF No Mercy, NBA Jam, Open Ice
2. Action - Batman Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed 1- 3, Lego Batman
3. JRPG - Dragon Quests(any of them)..... so maybe it's just more Dragon Quest than anything else

scott

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:17:14 am »

3. JRPG - Dragon Quests(any of them)..... so maybe it's just more Dragon Quest than anything else

@jcalder8 Love me some Dragon Quest, pretty much anything DQ related. I made it a point to find a PS2 DQ Slime controller and was on the search for it. When I walked into a GameStop years ago and one had JUST gotten traded in. Really, though a majority of JRPGs are also DQ and FFs for me. I've been wanting to branch out for awhile now though.

tpugmire

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 08:47:03 pm »
1. Platformers
2. Action / Adventure
3. Puzzle (Even though I'm rarely good at them.)
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06:17 pm »
Favorite genres would be.

1 RPG's
2 Shoot'em ups
3 Action/Adventure

Honorable Mention
Fighting

madmax

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 02:12:45 pm »
1 JRPGs (Big surprise)
2 Action/Adventure
3 Racing and RTS

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 04:41:43 pm »
Strategy RPGs are my favorite by far.  Shining Force, Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics, Disgaea etc...

pacpix

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »
1. Platformers
2. Action/Adventure
3. Arcade
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)