Author Topic: Gaming Hall Of Fame. Who would you put in?  (Read 2355 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Gaming Hall Of Fame. Who would you put in?
« on: June 10, 2015, 10:07:14 am »
So on last nights Podcast, we discussed this article (http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/05/super-mario-bros-pac-man-world-warcraft-world-video-game-hall-fame) and about which games should be in the gaming Hall of Fame. And I thought it could spur interesting convo on here. Also, do you agree with that currently list the article says who made it this year.

So if you had 1 vote for next years HoF, what game would you put into it, and a sentence or two, why it deserves to be in.

Link to the show below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKyGtF_wJO0
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

woahsweetgreyphix

Re: Gaming Hall Of Fame. Who would you put in?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 11:09:40 am »
My thought was maybe Street Fighter II? Seems to me like that game really put 2D fighters/ fighting games in general on the map, and it was pretty influential for its time.

Some other potentials might be Pokemon, MGS, GTA, there are so many to pick from!  :o

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 12:15:10 pm »
Some contenders:
Gradius( Arcade/NES) 1985- Very important shmup for its time, first arcade game to have 3 buttons, and being one of the first shmups with different options to power up, distinct stage variety.etc. The stage variety and graphics are also really good because of the Konami Bubble system, which was one of the first 16 bit arcade systems of its day.

Daytona USA ( Arcade/Saturn/Dreamcast) 1993/1994- This is the highest grossing arcade game of all time. As the first game of Sega's Model 2 system w/ texture mapping technology, it's probably the first  3D racing game to capture a realistic racing feel, and has a simple but hard to master drifting system that would continue to influence many racing games for years to come.

Batsugun( Arcade/Saturn) - 1993 This runs on Toplan/Cave 68000 hardware  Not as noted as other influential games, but it's considered the first bullet hell shmup, and continues to primarily influence the genre today, thanks to smaller hitboxes and patterns that can not be dodged most of the time thanks to the amount of bullets on screen compared to previous games.

Virtua Fighter( Aracde/Saturn/32X) 1993- This runs on Sega Model 1 hardware. One of the earliest 3D fighters and kept things simple with its rock-paper-scissors style system with traditional martial arts moves, and the foundations of the game influenced the template of other 3D fighters for the next decade. This game hasn't aged very well, especially compared to the sequels, but it is still an iconic game that brought true 3-D fighters into the industry spotlight.

Super Mario 64( N64) 1996- This game pretty much nailed the transition to 3D and was the first 3D platformer games to provide freedom of movement along with smooth controls. Pretty much influenced every 3D platformer to this day( I think.)

Final Fantasy VII( PS1/PC) -1997- This game really helped move PS1 units due to the visuals with seemless FMV to game engine transitions, a distinctly modern setting, along with its story/characters. Hasn't aged as well either.

Dragon Quest( NES. Japanese PC's) 1986- Probably the first commerical JRPG for consoles, it has a streamlined gameplay system, and its setting and influenced other JRPGS. It formed the backbone of turn-based RPGS and has influenced the basic aspects of JRPG's today.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:58:24 pm by maximo310 »

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 12:27:13 pm »
Final Fantasy VII( PS1/PC) -1997- This game really helped move PS1 units due to the visuals with seemless FMV to game engine transitions, a distinctly modern setting, along with its story/characters.

Ohh yeah I forgot about Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest! One of those games would be a good addition

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 12:58:33 pm »
Final Fantasy VII( PS1/PC) -1997- This game really helped move PS1 units due to the visuals with seemless FMV to game engine transitions, a distinctly modern setting, along with its story/characters.

Ohh yeah I forgot about Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest! One of those games would be a good addition
Yeah, thanks for reminding me. Dragon Quest I is considered to be one of the most infuential console games, even though it didn't have as much success in the western market as the Japanese market.

doafan

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 01:09:00 pm »
I got some of them but the ones that I decided at this moment should be the following ones  ;)

* Silent Hill - (PS1) : Even when there are a lot of Survival Horror titles and a lot from this franchise this one at least for me it's the best of all of them, the whole experience of just playing it, the good use of the atmosphere also the excellent use of the fear and how to make the player feel it has made this game the right to be here.

* Soul Calibur - (Arcade / Dreamcast ) : Maybe it's only me but the addition and use of weapons I'm talking of the good ones in the fighting genre became a legend also a reference for the future titles not only of this franchise but in general.

* Contra - (Arcade / Nes) : Maybe not the first Run and gun game but for a lot of people the one that have started the genre and the evolution of this one, even today this is a game that everybody still play it, definitely need to be here.

* God of War - (PS2) : The mythology and the history that nobody wants to ear well implemented in a scenario surrounded with blood and boobs, do I have to say more ?, damn put this one on the Hall of Fame already.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:10:54 pm by doafan »

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 01:25:53 pm »
Grand Theft Auto III or maybe San Andreas instead

Grand Theft Auto V

The Last of Us

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 02:34:27 pm »
I think Shenmue deserves a credit for mixing together a cinematic experience with combat arcade gameplay, persistent open world and for starting the active QTE fashion - not the best thing in the world but in that game that was pretty well made :D
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

argyle

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 03:01:40 pm »
Listened to the show through where you guys talked about the hall of fame. Was surprised that so many of you were saying Zelda didn't deserve it. Not only did it put in place a formula that is STILL being copied today (no, I don't just mean by the other Zelda games :P) but from a technology standpoint it was the first game w/ a save battery.

If I had to vote for one next year, and only one, I'd second the Street Fighter II suggestion. I'm not one of these people that thinks the VERY first game in a genre deserves the most merit (Adventure on the 2600? REALLY guys? ??? :P) so even tho SFII wasn't the first fighting game, it was the one that put the genre on the map.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

yancakes

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 01:50:33 am »
Street Fighter II, Legend of Zelda, Pitfall, Half-Life.

They were all game changers. None of them necessarily created a genre but they all took genres to new levels. They may focus on creators instead of game changers for the first while (I mean, Doom wasn't the first FPS but, you know what? It may as well have been) but I think all of those games will be in the HoF before too long.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 03:50:14 am »
Space Invaders
Hydelide
Wolfenstein 3D
Super Mario 64
Tetris
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

rayne315

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 01:35:20 pm »
Shadow of the Colossas.

For a game that had so little story to it and still having the ability to make such a impact that it did, amazing gameplay with beautiful backgrounds, the rediculous AI mechanics that it had, the large map with the intentional felling of isolation (desolation?), and many other things.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

abe

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 11:21:20 pm »
I'd put my vote in for Xevious. It's not the first shmup or what started it all, but it's where a lot of changes were introduced that help define what the genre is today.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 04:14:38 am »
Street Fighter II, as it's hard to deny how influential that was in the early nineties. To this day, the formula has not been improved upon (by much).

Mario 64, don't want to explain this one too much, it's was a perfect game at the time and a template for how 3D polygonal games should be like for years to come.

Quake, I know Doom is already in the Hall of Fame, but Quake was the first truly 3D first person shooter and basically ignited the online multiplayer craze (Doom was IPX LAN only). To this day there's leftover quake netcode in games like CoD and the Source games. It made WASD + mouse control viable (wasn't really needed before) in FPS games, which is still the optimal control scheme today. It made modding mainstream (wasn't the first moddable game, but it was the first truly mainstream at the time).

Super Mario Kart, it was the perfect multiplayer game and spawned a very good franchise, not to mention all manner of clones. But the main reason I'd have this in the Hall of Fame is it's impeccable gameplay, which allowed for an almost zen-like mastery at the highest levels of play.

There's just so many other games that deserve it too, I hope they don't limit the number of entries to retain a feeling of exclusivity. I want Half-Life in there, I want Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, Gran Turismo, Virtua Fighter and Tekken, Supreme Commander (the first one), Command & Conquer, and so on, and on, and on ...

maximo310

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 05:06:30 pm »
I'd put my vote in for Xevious. It's not the first shmup or what started it all, but it's where a lot of changes were introduced that help define what the genre is today.
Yep, it created the basic mechanics of the shmup format like checkpoints, different enemy types/patterns,scoring secrets, and it's basic weapon system inspired the weapon systems multiple games like Twinbee, Dragon Spirit, Ray series, etc. It's also interesting to note that the music in this game was complied and released as the first commerically released video game soundtrack along with a few other songs from other games( as a vinyl 12') in 1984.