Author Topic: Official E3 Announcement/Discussion thread  (Read 27958 times)

gf78

Re: Official E3 Announcement/Discussion thread
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2015, 02:48:21 pm »
I...can't friggin' believe it. Backwards compatibility on the Xbone? That means Tales of Vesperia can be played on a modern system. I still have a low opinion of M$, but that is insanely surprising.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.  This is selective backwards compatibility.  Expect your Halo's, Gears', Fable's and other big-name, big-seller titles.  More games will get added over time, but if this plays out anything like the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility, many of my favorite original Xbox games didn't make the cut.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2015, 02:54:19 pm »
I never thought I'd have interest in getting an Xbone, or caring about Microsoft's E3 conference, but they're showing some interesting stuff.

+Backwards compatibility on the Xbone with the 360 is a plus, I just hope Sony will announce that they'll finally add backwards compatibility to the PS4.
+Fallout 4 mods on PC working on the Xbone is a pretty big deal.
+ReCore looks pretty cool.
+Rare Replay has Banjo Kazooie, automatically making it awesome.

Sony could easily implement something like this.  You are basically downloading a game from the compatible title list.  If you have the retail 360 disc, you have to have it in the drive for authentication while you play the game.  Sony could let you play any PSNow title that you have the retail disc in the PS4's drive to authenticate you own the game.

Whether they do something like that is an entirely different matter....
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2015, 02:56:31 pm »
I...can't friggin' believe it. Backwards compatibility on the Xbone? That means Tales of Vesperia can be played on a modern system. I still have a low opinion of M$, but that is insanely surprising.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.  This is selective backwards compatibility.  Expect your Halo's, Gears', Fable's and other big-name, big-seller titles.  More games will get added over time, but if this plays out anything like the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility, many of my favorite original Xbox games didn't make the cut.

This sounds different though as it seems to not require any extra effort on the part of the original developers/publishers to make it playable, they just need to say it's okay.  I think we just need to hear more about the process, because it could be cool to have if its as open game wise as it was made out to be.  Would make things easier than having to bring out the 360 if I had an Xbone, which I don't plan to get anytime soon.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2015, 03:05:05 pm »
Well we will see guys haha, and IIRC, Sony said before, PS4 will be able to run mods before.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

argyle

« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2015, 03:06:42 pm »

This sounds different though as it seems to not require any extra effort on the part of the original developers/publishers to make it playable, they just need to say it's okay.  I think we just need to hear more about the process, because it could be cool to have if its as open game wise as it was made out to be.  Would make things easier than having to bring out the 360 if I had an Xbone, which I don't plan to get anytime soon.

This part makes no sense to me. When the PS2 was bc w/ the PSOne, there's no way Sony asked every single dev if it was ok for every single game. Ditto for the Wii / GC, or Wii U / Wii. My guess is MS themselves are having to modify the code somehow and that's what they're having to get permission for. So it's no extra work for the dev, but it is for *someone*.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

gf78

« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2015, 03:16:28 pm »

This part makes no sense to me. When the PS2 was bc w/ the PSOne, there's no way Sony asked every single dev if it was ok for every single game. Ditto for the Wii / GC, or Wii U / Wii. My guess is MS themselves are having to modify the code somehow and that's what they're having to get permission for. So it's no extra work for the dev, but it is for *someone*.

The PS2 was fully backwards compatible (except I believe one Monster Rancher title) with PS1 games because it actually contained the original PS1 processor.  The original PS3 units were fully backwards compatible with PS2 the same, as the OG PS3 contained the PS2's processor. 

Microsoft is modifying software as they go.  That's why there is a limited batch of titles available from the outset and why you have to download them irregardless if you have the disc.  The disc has to be in the drive if you have a physical copy of the original 360 game for authentication purposes or you have to have downloaded the game from Xbox Live previously and there is a record of it.  Same as how Call of Duty Ghosts for PS3 got the cheap PS4 version upgrade, but you still had to leave the disc in the drive.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:18:16 pm by gf78 »

gf78

« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2015, 03:23:40 pm »

Going through everything they announced and leaving off the multiplatform stuff (yes-including Rise of Tomb Raider), there are a few games that interest me.  Rare Replay is probably the most enticing, but in reality it's a $30 compilation of games I (mostly) already own.  I was stoked for Sea of Thieves until I started seeing more about it being an MMO.  Don't have time for those.

Hololens looks interesting, but nothing I would invest major dollars into.  The fact that they didn't give a release date or any indication on price says it's going to be A)  Awhile before it comes out and B)  Pretty damn expensive.  I'm also not a huge fan of Minecraft so while the implications of what they were doing are cool, I have no interest in the game they showed. 

Recore looks pretty cool and the Elite controller looks nifty.  I'm sure it will be $100 retail though which will limit it's appeal, much like expensive force feedback wheels are niche. 

At this point and having played these series to death, I really have no more interest in Gears, Fable or Forza.  I love the lore of Halo and the Bungie games, but Halo 4 left a really bad taste in my mouth and from what I have seen of Halo 5, it looks to follow it's  predecessor's footsteps. 

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2015, 03:27:02 pm »
EA goes live in 34 minutes.
http://www.twitch.tv/ea

Also the OP has been updated with links to already shown stuff.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:28:47 pm by fighterpilot562 »

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2015, 04:04:04 pm »
Mass Effect: Andromeda confirmed for Holiday 2016.
New Need for Speed, just called Need for Speed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:08:18 pm by kamikazekeeg »

argyle

« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2015, 04:10:34 pm »
Wonder if they're going to announce the rumored PS4/XBone port of the Mass Effect Trilogy?
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2015, 04:15:25 pm »
Wonder if they're going to announce the rumored PS4/XBone port of the Mass Effect Trilogy?

It's possible, though it would only be worth it if the original Mass Effect was redone.  I tried to go back and play that when i got interested in Mass Effect 2 and it was so awful lol

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2015, 04:22:59 pm »
the guy presenting unraveled is kinda creeping me out

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2015, 04:24:56 pm »
He seemed nervous.

1049-2600-8730

argyle

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2015, 04:25:45 pm »
Crap, the title thing they showed of Unravel looked interesting, then my internet crapped out. Guess I'll have to look that one up in a bit.

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2015, 04:26:50 pm »
Unravel looks really cute.  Like Little Big Planet mixed with Yoshi's Wooly World lol

And then it got awkward with the Zombie mascot costume out of nowhere lol

Hockey time, pee break.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:35:05 pm by kamikazekeeg »