Author Topic: very ineficiant  (Read 3480 times)

gf78

Re: very ineficiant
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 11:02:45 am »
Yeah, folks, please be more courteous.  It's possible that the OP wrote that after much frustration and seeing a response like that will not encourage new folks to chat more in the forums.

There is no simple "help" or "support" link from the main collection site, so it's reasonable for people to come by to the forum to ask for help, whether it be from other users or the admin.

Using the search and figuring out the best way to add items to your collection can be a little clunky currently, but the site is still being tweaked and worked on.  karyann made some excellent suggestions, and that's usually where I'd say to start for new users... the "browse" feature is the easiest for bulk additions, though it doesn't give you the benefits, necessarily, of the detailed info you can include with adding items individually.

Feel free to voice your concerns or issues in the "site feedback" section of the forum as well :)

I guess I put the  ::) because it seems to me that this site-while it has it's rough edges-does what almost no other site out there does:  It gives us a comprehensive way to catalog our gaming collections with personal descriptors and for free.  It also provides a forum and the mods listen and actively ask what changes we would like to see.

When reading the OP, it seemed like a bitchfest.  Just my two cents.  There is constructive criticism and technical questions, and then you can come of snarky. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

desocietas

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 03:56:16 pm »

I guess I put the  ::) because it seems to me that this site-while it has it's rough edges-does what almost no other site out there does:  It gives us a comprehensive way to catalog our gaming collections with personal descriptors and for free.  It also provides a forum and the mods listen and actively ask what changes we would like to see.

When reading the OP, it seemed like a bitchfest.  Just my two cents.  There is constructive criticism and technical questions, and then you can come of snarky. 

Ah, I wasn't giving you a hard time for your emote usage  :P

I just don't want folks to be afraid to post their questions or concerns for fear of someone calling them a whiner or pointing out spelling mistakes.  Tone is often lost in text-based communication, and we have folks from all backgrounds coming to join the site.  The last thing we should do is put someone down for bringing up valid issues.

But you're absolutely right about how great of a site it still is at its root - that's what brings many of us back to it time and time again as our means of cataloguing our collections.  It's not always for everyone, of course, as Backloggery is most certainly not for me  :-X
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 04:06:04 pm »

Ah, I wasn't giving you a hard time for your emote usage  :P

I just don't want folks to be afraid to post their questions or concerns for fear of someone calling them a whiner or pointing out spelling mistakes.  Tone is often lost in text-based communication, and we have folks from all backgrounds coming to join the site.  The last thing we should do is put someone down for bringing up valid issues.

But you're absolutely right about how great of a site it still is at its root - that's what brings many of us back to it time and time again as our means of cataloguing our collections.  It's not always for everyone, of course, as Backloggery is most certainly not for me  :-X

I was using RFGeneration before this. And that site got to the point that it was down every other day.

telly

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 04:11:57 pm »

I definitely agree with this. I'm personally wondering if maybe he was even posting it outside on a laptop or something. I know I can never spell right/ use capitalization when I'm on my cell for example and I can't see the screen :O. Or he/she may not feel the need to have perfect spelling, which personally doesn't bother me as much haha.

That said, I feel like there should be a non-official list of things you can do to make forum posts appear less "bitchy" I can think of quotes, bold/italics, emotes, asterisks, etc.
Like how "This site totally sucks! I'm outta here." appears completely different than "This site "totally" sucks!  :'( I'm outta here. *slams door on the way out. Like Deso said, it's easy to take things the wrong way when it's only text without the non-verbals.

Also, I'm really curious if the OP got his issues resolved? I'd hate for us to blow up this post and have his issues not addressed properly.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:19:09 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery

foxhack

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 04:13:09 pm »
I can tell you that he hasn't returned to the forum since he made that post (last active time / date in his profile.) He's probably unaware of the comments we've made.

telly

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 04:17:20 pm »
I can tell you that he hasn't returned to the forum since he made that post (last active time / date in his profile.) He's probably unaware of the comments we've made.

Ah ok, good to know, thanks! Kind of sad though, guess we weren't able to help him :( Or he just hasn't found the time to return...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:25:41 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery

docsarcastic

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »
ok i joined this site cause i thought it would be a great way to track my game collection. i use an app on my phone and was going to convert my list to the site.
then i saw the horrendous way it does it. it would be nice if there was options to set up standard search's.

don't always take me away from adding a game to the list. when i search a game put a thumbnail of it then the text beside it with a check box. this will allow me to add it and not be taken away from the main page.

have a deeper extended game list. i was trying to add assassins creed. not found. this game has been around for nearly 10 years.

ability to add by platform. allow me to check a box to search by platform by default. i have lots of xbox and ps3 games. and i not wish to scroll down and find it everytime. thats way more involved then it needs to be.

Wow, I haven't done one of these analytical approaches in a while, I'm not even going to bother with the niceties because it seems people have already done that, now, before I begin, I just want to put a disclaimer, I'm an awful person, but not to you lot, you're mostly a nice bunch who I respect individually, so...here we go.

Now, let's analyse the title; "very ineficiant", much like your spelling.

Your use of slang, while considerably flamboyant in a way it gives you a personality is applauded, your lack of capitalisation on the starting's of sentences, the letter "I" and your frustratingly poor incoherence just gives an overall "Oh God please no."

Standards search? It would be nice if you brought some context into the situation at hand.

I...I honestly couldn't make out the "English" babble that was produced in the next sentence or two, so I'll skip ahead a bit.

"and i not wish"...to use proper grammar? To use a system that works for pretty much everyone else on the site?

If you're going to complain, then use literate English, please, it makes the process a lot easier and it saves me being a bitch about the whole thing.
I write books, collect games and achievements and so on. Considered pure, molten evil by many.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
- Everything

VGCollect stuff: https://vgcollect.com/about/DocSarcastic

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 05:26:32 pm »
Fox can you just lock the thread? I think everyone is done here...

desocietas

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 05:52:58 pm »
Fox can you just lock the thread? I think everyone is done here...

Good call.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 05:58:04 pm »
If you're going to complain, then use literate English, please, it makes the process a lot easier and it saves me being a bitch about the whole thing.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

*ka-chunk*

;_;