Author Topic: very ineficiant  (Read 3481 times)

very ineficiant
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »
ok i joined this site cause i thought it would be a great way to track my game collection. i use an app on my phone and was going to convert my list to the site.
then i saw the horrendous way it does it. it would be nice if there was options to set up standard search's.

don't always take me away from adding a game to the list. when i search a game put a thumbnail of it then the text beside it with a check box. this will allow me to add it and not be taken away from the main page.

have a deeper extended game list. i was trying to add assassins creed. not found. this game has been around for nearly 10 years.

ability to add by platform. allow me to check a box to search by platform by default. i have lots of xbox and ps3 games. and i not wish to scroll down and find it everytime. thats way more involved then it needs to be.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: very ineficiant
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:48:59 pm »
Not sure what u are doing, but as soon as i start typing assa.... i already get alot of hits.

karyann

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 03:15:20 pm »
don't always take me away from adding a game to the list. when i search a game put a thumbnail of it then the text beside it with a check box. this will allow me to add it and not be taken away from the main page.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. When you type a search and press enter (or click the magnifier), you are taken to a list of all results, with a miniature and a checkbox that you can use to either add the game to your collection or wishlist, while staying on the result page.

have a deeper extended game list. i was trying to add assassins creed. not found. this game has been around for nearly 10 years.
Maybe you didn't press enter when you typed a search? Because as mentioned by Fazerco, there are a LOT of results for Assassin's Creed. And when you really don't find an entry after searching for it, you can just add it yourself; this is what makes VGCollect stand out from most other collection sites, the ability to contribute to the database.

ability to add by platform. allow me to check a box to search by platform by default. i have lots of xbox and ps3 games. and i not wish to scroll down and find it everytime. thats way more involved then it needs to be.
When you click "Browse" at the top (between "Sell List" and "Forum"), you can choose a platform and see everything in the database for that particular platform. If you mean that you want to make a search and limit it to a platform, you can hover the search button and click "Advanced" under the typing box. Or you can click here: http://vgcollect.com/search.

I hope that my answer can help you understand a bit more how the site works, and that it will help you enjoy it better!
If you want more tips and help, I strongly suggest reading the Style guide: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html. This will help you find results more easily, as well as improve your own submissions if you end up submitting new ones.  :)

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 04:35:25 pm »
ok i joined this site cause i thought it would be a great way to track my game collection. i use an app on my phone and was going to convert my list to the site.
then i saw the horrendous way it does it. it would be nice if there was options to set up standard search's.

When I saw that you couldn't even spell inefficient correctly, I was more inclined to believe it was probably something you were doing wrong. Also, nobody's going to take you seriously if you don't capitalize anything, just saying. It's easy to sit and criticize a free, easy to use service like this when you have no idea how involved it is to make those changes for the site. Also, why not contact just site support instead of writing this in a forum?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 12:57:34 pm »

::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 01:25:45 pm »

When I saw that you couldn't even spell inefficient correctly, I was more inclined to believe it was probably something you were doing wrong. Also, nobody's going to take you seriously if you don't capitalize anything, just saying. It's easy to sit and criticize a free, easy to use service like this when you have no idea how involved it is to make those changes for the site. Also, why not contact just site support instead of writing this in a forum?

Ill admit it, I laughed at this post, and kinda thought the same thing.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 01:49:01 pm »

Maaan!

After biting my tongue so hard & being on my best behavior;  ::)

Seriously, points taken and all, but ...not a killer 1st impression :-\
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 03:05:45 pm »
Yeah, folks, please be more courteous.  It's possible that the OP wrote that after much frustration and seeing a response like that will not encourage new folks to chat more in the forums.

There is no simple "help" or "support" link from the main collection site, so it's reasonable for people to come by to the forum to ask for help, whether it be from other users or the admin.

Using the search and figuring out the best way to add items to your collection can be a little clunky currently, but the site is still being tweaked and worked on.  karyann made some excellent suggestions, and that's usually where I'd say to start for new users... the "browse" feature is the easiest for bulk additions, though it doesn't give you the benefits, necessarily, of the detailed info you can include with adding items individually.

Feel free to voice your concerns or issues in the "site feedback" section of the forum as well :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:07:27 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 03:36:51 pm »
I will say one thing sort of on his behalf: search isn't particularly friendly in some ways. If I type infection into the search box, I get no results. I should get a result for .hack//INFECTION at the very least. If I type in creed... I get no results. ??? It seems to me that the search box is looking for your text as the very beginning of the game's name.

This is why I use Advanced Search. You can not only select the platform you want to search for, but you can type in any word of the game's name and it will come up. Also, at least on Chrome, you can Ctrl+click the Submit button to open the results in a different tab so that when you're done with those results, you can go right back to the Advanced Search page and still have your same platform selected. It makes searching WAY easier.

I really don't like that standard search box :P

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 03:42:31 pm »

A lot of us don't. It causes a lot of duplicate entries.

But yeah, folks - chill out. The guy is venting his frustrations with the system. Can we please help him without resorting to mocking his spelling?

karyann

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 06:51:57 pm »

Yeah, it's not really obvious that it's possible to press "enter" and have a complete search made instead of just having the few "preview" results  :-\ Seems like a common problem.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 07:13:58 pm »
Does the auto-populate search results work on mobile browsers? That was the first thing I thought about when I read that post. The reason I thought of mobile browsers was because he used the term app.

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 08:02:18 pm »
Does the auto-populate search results work on mobile browsers? That was the first thing I thought about when I read that post. The reason I thought of mobile browsers was because he used the term app.

I was confused about that as well, but I think the OP meant that they currently use an app on their phone to track their collection but want to switch over to our site.  I am curious, however, if they are using the mobile site.  The mobile site is also a little awkward at the moment...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 04:25:38 am »
Shots fired ;D

What I find really annoying with the auto-populate search box is that you loose the dropdown list results instantly when your mouse goes anywhere out of the search widget, it closes and when you open it again you still have what you typed in the input but the results are gone. I often have to delete one letter and type it again to get back the results.

Sometimes you don't want to use the full page results, filtering with the search bar is a very cool feature but it's not very handy. Maybe there should be a timeout so it doesn't close instantly of just let it open till you click elsewhere, it would be way more usable IMO.

I would gladly contribute to the code if I had access BTW :P
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 10:30:47 am »
Searching on the Android App works fine, but the artwork is a little small on newer phones.