Author Topic: What do you prefer retro or modern games?  (Read 4009 times)

dreama1

What do you prefer retro or modern games?
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:29:38 am »
What do you prefer retro or modern games? Why? And what what do you mostly buy retro or modern. For the skeptics it means anything up to the dreamcast as retro. And anything modern as PS2 and beyond. That's the goal post as of 2015.

telly

Re: What do you prefer retro or modern games?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:40:14 am »
I'm personally pretty biased since I don't have a ton of retro experience, but for me I tend to lean towards more modern gaming, mostly because I grew up with modern games, and so going back to retro games without being present in that time period can leave them a little quaint and hard to enjoy.  :-\ For me, my ability to enjoy a retro game goes down as the game gets older. I can barely play anything Atari, I like some NES stuff, and I like more SNES/GEN stuff.

That being said, I definitely enjoy a lot of retro games. I love Castlevania IV, Actraiser, Chrono Trigger, Bubble Bobble, LttP, Star Fox, and I have enjoyed the two Mega Man games I've played. In addition, my favorite two generations would be the 5th and 6th gen, which technically is the split between modern/ retro.

So while I can definitely enjoy and appreciate retro stuff for what they've done at the time, I prefer modern right now because it's a more consistently enjoyable experience, at least for me.  :) Totally understand if someone feels the opposite of me haha.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:45:40 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Monkey Ball (GC), Tunic (Switch), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:41:45 am »
I'm going with retro.  That's not saying I don't enjoy modern games.  (Which reminds me I need to add one to the collection)

For my lifestyle as a single dad, I don't get much time to game.  I like the games I can play in short bursts and walk away from.  If I play something very long, my son wants the controller.  So, there I've lost. 

retrogemcollector

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 11:29:30 am »
I have a mixt feeling about it. I enjoy retro games more because for the majority the are pretty FUN. However I do collect more modern games as the are more entertaining. They feel just like movies and I love movies. Also, being very picky, collecting retro is at a way slower pace than modern because of the overinflated value of the retro market. I however love retro consoles and enjoy collecting old hardwares.

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:23:11 pm »
It just depends on my mood. With my Wii U I've pretty much enjoyed everything I've played on it, but I still enjoy playing classic games on the classic systems. In terms of FPS games and the like I really don't go to in for them unless they are really unique.
Shoot, me and my Dad have been playing a season of World Championship Baseball for Intellivision against one another because it holds up so well now and it's a ton of fun. I don't really have a preference I guess. If the game is fun, I'll play it. I'm not going to limit myself.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:51:57 pm by aliensstudios »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 12:45:11 pm »
I would have to go with modern.  For me, modern gaming brought out better production values.  By that, I mean better writing, better graphics, better sound, etc. 

For example, the Mass Effect series causes this huge stir of emotions in me as I play them.  Happiness, sadness, regret, relief, anger, hopelessness, hope....anyone who has played through those three games will testify to what I am saying.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 01:57:35 pm »
Why not both?

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 02:09:02 pm »
Retro for me. I like modern games as well, but with modern gaming there's so much that I don't give a crap about. Of course there's still plenty of retro stuff that I'm not interested in, but the percentage of stuff I'm likely to enjoy is much higher.

thewelshman

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 02:21:25 pm »
I have to agree with thedarkpersian, as I'm a big fan of both. Though, I'll happily sacrifice graphics for storyline. I think sometimes modern games tend to go overkill with making a game pretty and forget to make sure its a solid story and has replayability.

All too often I read about new, blockbuster, games being released that are graphical juggernauts, but are only 4 hours long, or the story is thin, and has little depth. Of course, I'm a huge fan of Japanese niche games, so I enjoy strange storylines. =P

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 03:38:53 pm »
I prefer classic. Retro is something new that is like the old.  ;D

But old school for a multitude of reasons. I'm pretty disgusted with the current state of gaming, I'm old (at heart), and I'm not adapting. I grew up playing games that were very different. No internet, now downloads, no DLC, no HDD, no cinematic nonsense, no games are art, no frills. Just gaming in it's purest form.

I do like 6th gen, and even 7th somewhat. But stuff is changing, games are outgrowing me, enthusiasm is waning. That's why I'm not picking up any more new consoles. There's enough gaming history for a lifetime. I prefer the classics.

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 04:34:16 pm »
Modern Hands down.

stealthrush

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:24:27 pm »
Retro for me.

When I play a video game it is for the challenge, not the visuals, engaging story, over-the-top theatrics, or online/offline multiplayer. I come from a generation of arcade games, where the concept of a video game is derived from a individual challenge.

I would consider the new generation of gaming more of a ponzi scheme; recycled game play with content deliberately removed so the consumer is forced to shell out more cash for it. The whole Download content, micro-transactions, pay-as-you-play method is atrocious - more or less the elephant in the room for contemporary gamers. Although I consider myself a video-game fan I have very little interest in the seventh, and current generation of systems and games. The last console I bought was the Microsoft Xbox 360 solely for arcade ports of my favorite series. 

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 06:13:26 pm »
I prefer retro for sure however some genres I prefer modern. A good example is racing games. I love Enduro on the 2600 or Rad Racer on the NES but if I want to play a racing game I'll gravitate toward something like NFS Hot Pursuit or Split Second on the PS3

abe

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 09:31:45 pm »
I like both. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. More of my collection may consist of modern games, but that's really only because it was much cheaper than the "retro" stuff when I started to get into collecting. If I really had to choose a side, I'd probably lean more towards retro gaming, mainly because of the SNES/SFC.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

deftommo

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 10:21:01 am »
It depends. There are a few classic games I'll play once in a while (mostly NES/SNES stuff), but I really have to be in the mood for it. The nostalgia is there, but there are a lot of more modern series/games I spend more time playing now. PS2/Xbox to PS3 era games make up ~90% of what I play to this day.