Author Topic: Is the hobby starting to finally die down?  (Read 6894 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Is the hobby starting to finally die down?
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2015, 01:14:06 am »

I don't emulate for moral reasons. I'm a Christian and stealing is one of the 10 commandment ones. That and I still enjoy the collecting aspect of it.

So then I assume if I were to peruse your collection I'd find no violent or supernatural titles eh. All puzzle games, sports games and family friendly games I'd assume ;)

Christian or not, is it really that unreasonable to try and have morals? (It is still illegal) Just because someone doesn't see you doing it, doesn't make it any less wrong. A kid shoplifts a candy bar at a store; the company really won't miss that $1, and no one is hurt by it, but it's still stealing. Like I said, personal decision.

And the Bible is one of the most violent books in human history. Reading (or playing) something is a lot different than doing that thing for real.

Just having a bit of fun, hence the ;)

Canadians. Always causing trouble. ;)

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2015, 02:03:59 pm »
What the hell happened to my thread?!

abe

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »

Unnecessary drama.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2015, 02:41:50 pm »

I don't emulate for moral reasons. I'm a Christian and stealing is one of the 10 commandment ones. That and I still enjoy the collecting aspect of it.

So then I assume if I were to peruse your collection I'd find no violent or supernatural titles eh. All puzzle games, sports games and family friendly games I'd assume ;)

Christian or not, is it really that unreasonable to try and have morals? (It is still illegal) Just because someone doesn't see you doing it, doesn't make it any less wrong. A kid shoplifts a candy bar at a store; the company really won't miss that $1, and no one is hurt by it, but it's still stealing. Like I said, personal decision.

And the Bible is one of the most violent books in human history. Reading (or playing) something is a lot different than doing that thing for real.

Just having a bit of fun, hence the ;)

Canadians. Always causing trouble. ;)

I try :D

davifus

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2015, 08:09:10 pm »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2015, 09:39:38 pm »

Also, Getting us back on topic, I don't think collecting is dying out but I am noticing that by and large the mom and pops here in the Bay Area are closing up shop. Inventory is getting too expensive for them as more and more yard salers,  ebayers, and craigslisters start going for the jugular pricing wise. Turf pointed out on our show inventory is at an all time high. But demand and rarity is still pushing prices north.

I saw an eBay post the other day for a "Vintage" PS3.

It's madness!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:43:29 pm by dashv »

Warmsignal

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2015, 10:42:56 pm »
There's bound to be drama surrounding this kind of topic anyway, because stuff is getting so ridiculous. There's a lot of reasons why a hobby like this might 'die down'. If you couldn't tell, we're about all sick of the ridiculosity of vintage PS3s and shovelware NES titles fetching a small fortune, opportunist sellers with lazy methods and poor service, and the overall floodgate of late comers making competition for scraps quite fierce.

If things are dying down it is not because its gotten stale, or because it's not a cool thing to do anymore. If it's not as fun anymore, its because it has been made that way as of the past several years it seems.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2015, 02:47:44 pm »
Its more the feel of topic starter. This topic pops up every few months.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2015, 04:21:08 pm »
I skipped to the current page after reading the first. I'd love to read the start of the drama, but I think that'd make it less fun. You guys are weird. :P

IMO, I think every collector goes through burnout at least once. I know I have. The internet makes things a lot easier to find, but it also tends to drive prices up because so many more people are exposed to online auctions and sales. LPs and streams are also giving exposure to a number of games and making them more valuable due to increased demand. It's great that good games are getting some attention, but that can mean trouble for collectors like us. /first world problems

For me, I tend to avoid burnout by thinking of my game collection as more of a series of small collections. I've got individual collections for games or series I love and a larger separate collection for games I just like to play. If I get bored with one, I can switch my attention to another. I can see the value in owning every game for a given console, but I think I would get bored with that very quickly. It also helps that a lot of the stuff I'm seeking isn't readily available or outright impossible to find in my home country, so I can still have fun surfing the internet for an item or seven.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

gf78

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2015, 09:23:22 am »

Also, Getting us back on topic, I don't think collecting is dying out but I am noticing that by and large the mom and pops here in the Bay Area are closing up shop. Inventory is getting too expensive for them as more and more yard salers,  ebayers, and craigslisters start going for the jugular pricing wise. Turf pointed out on our show inventory is at an all time high. But demand and rarity is still pushing prices north.

I saw an eBay post the other day for a "Vintage" PS3.

It's madness!

Vintage...LOL. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2015, 09:34:41 am »
For cart based stuff I want a decent looking cart with a manual that's still intact. I don't care too much about a fragile box.

Those universal game cases with a nice color printout look super nice.  I get the covers printed at OfficeMax on their color laser printer with cardstock paper.  Unless you look at them with a magnifying glass, they look pretty much just like the original retail boxes.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us