Author Topic: Is the hobby starting to finally die down?  (Read 7015 times)

kashell

Re: Is the hobby starting to finally die down?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »
I don't buy a lot of games, and I make a effort to play/beat every game that I buy: by and large I will really only buy games that I want to play. I guess that makes me less of a collector per say and more someone who only likes to play games for entertainment. (That's not a knock against people who do that, though).

This is something I want to echo. One of the reasons the hobby has remained the same for me is because I don't pick a bunch of random games during my outings. There have been instances when I see a stack of games or an old console, but I don't bother with them unless there's something I have an interest in playing.

Everyone has their own method of collecting, which is great. My method results in a smaller collection, but in that collection, close to 100% of the games have been played until the end. Some of them have been played to 100% completion.

gf78

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 12:57:29 pm »
This is something I want to echo. One of the reasons the hobby has remained the same for me is because I don't pick a bunch of random games during my outings. There have been instances when I see a stack of games or an old console, but I don't bother with them unless there's something I have an interest in playing.

Everyone has their own method of collecting, which is great. My method results in a smaller collection, but in that collection, close to 100% of the games have been played until the end. Some of them have been played to 100% completion.

While in no way do I complete every game I buy and some I have never even slid the disc into the tray (or cart into a slot), my personal collecting habits revolve around genres or series that I enjoy.  That is to say, I wouldn't buy Dora games because I am trying to collect Gameboy Advance games. 

I see games all the time when I'm out perusing, but if it's not something I want, complete and in good condition I won't bother with it.  A few exceptions over the many years of gaming for something like Rugrats for the PlayStation, still sealed for a dollar.  Why not?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 01:02:27 pm »
Condition doesn't seem to matter to these jokers either.  I would be willing to pay up to $30 for a complete copy of ActRaiser for the SNES in pretty decent condition.  But asshats are trying to charge that for a cartridge only with a torn off label and ratty-ass Blockbuster stickers & goo stuck all over it.  No thank you.

Oh, this one I have to gripe about. Gotta love the double standard many sellers go by, knowing that most of their clientele collect these things, but not considering that condition even matters? If it's just the game, people would download it. It's the item as well, so condition matters. Cosmetic issues = less value than average. My local game store stopped considering condition, ugh. They have $35 on a Streets of Rage 3 cart that looks like it's been through the streets of rage. It's no wonder they don't care anymore, go online and you'll see a good cart for one price, and then another beat up cart for even more?? Nobody evaluates condition anymore.

Im looking forward to the bubble bursting because that just means that I can go out and buy more games for cheaper and hopefully get those Great games that I have never been able to play because they are $100+. I don't know about you guys but whatever the price of a new game is is my absolute limit for buying something.

Pretty much. $60 most of the time was MSRP and games like anything else depreciate after launch. So the equation becomes how in demand or popular is the game? Is it being snapped up like it's new? Are there not enough to meet the demand? If so, $60 seems fair, maybe a bit more if the game is truly rare. About $80 is my usual limit, give or take a little. Otherwise, it goes on my list of repro carts I plan to buy.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:04:40 pm by Warmsignal »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 01:12:15 pm »
^ I'm that guy that buys that blockbuster-covered cartridge because I buy to play, not to fill a shelf. And I'm gonna find the cheapest copy to play.

gf78

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 01:43:59 pm »
^ I'm that guy that buys that blockbuster-covered cartridge because I buy to play, not to fill a shelf. And I'm gonna find the cheapest copy to play.

Everyone has their own methods, criteria or whatever for collecting.  If you are fine buying a crusty cart for cheap because you just want to play the game, there is nothing at all wrong with that.  As a collector, I have my own set of criteria for the games I buy and if it is going to cost me more than a McMeal Deal, I'm going for quality. 

At this very moment, I have probably 20-30 games that are disc-only copies.  I don't list them in my collection because they don't meet the criteria I have set out for myself with my personal collection.  I also will not buy a PlayStation game that does not include the manual.  Mainly because the manual doubles for the cover art.  The only acception is if it is a cheaper, dual-jewel case that the manual sits in the middle of and is not used for the cover art.  I have one or two of those, but am always on the lookout for the manual.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 01:45:12 pm »

If it's just purely to play, why not emulate? Most of the original developers aren't going to make a cent on these anymore, if it's not on eShop or PSN. So if you can't go that route, why not? If it's the feel of the original hardware, why not go with an everdrive, or some repro carts or something that gives you more for your money?

I carry the same philosophy not just for game carts, but everything, shelves too. When I went to get a bookshelf, I keep checking the condition of the parts and some were pretty beat up. I didn't want the beat up ones. I wanted the good one. When I start looking for another car, I don't want the scratched and dented one even if it runs well, I want one that is in good shape. But I'm crazy.

gf78

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 02:06:05 pm »
If it's just purely to play, why not emulate? Most of the original developers aren't going to make a cent on these anymore, if it's not on eShop or PSN. So if you can't go that route, why not? If it's the feel of the original hardware, why not go with an everdrive, or some repro carts or something that gives you more for your money?

I carry the same philosophy not just for game carts, but everything, shelves too. When I went to get a bookshelf, I keep checking the condition of the parts and some were pretty beat up. I didn't want the beat up ones. I wanted the good one. When I start looking for another car, I don't want the scratched and dented one even if it runs well, I want one that is in good shape. But I'm crazy.

I'm in the same mindset as you.  I guess we are both crazy.   :P  I prefer to fill my shelves with "Cadillac-quality" games that are complete instead of crusty turds.  If it's just a game I want to play and don't care about it's physical quality, I emulate it. 

Like you, I follow the same method for everything I purchase.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 02:12:28 pm »
Well obviously if I can get better for the same price, I'm going to (or if it's barely a difference). But when I have Contra for $10 because it's cart-only and has a rental sticker, vs. a complete boxed copy for nearly $100, I'm going for that $10 cartridge. (A car is hardly the same thing as a game. A car is something you rely on.)

I don't emulate for moral reasons. I'm a Christian and stealing is one of the 10 commandment ones. That and I still enjoy the collecting aspect of it.

And where did I call anyone crazy? I just said I'm that guy buying the sticker covered cart.

kashell

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 02:31:29 pm »
I guess we are both crazy.

Nah, not at all. I'm right there with y'all. All of the games I buy need to be complete, which is probably another reason why the hobby hasn't died down for me. I always ensure that I buy things complete. Aesthetics are very important to me in nearly aspect of my life, and my video game collection is no exception. Shoes? All lined up by color. Watches? All lined up by color?

Video game collection? All lined up in a specific way that would be thrown out of whack without boxes, manuals, etc.

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 02:40:49 pm »
Well obviously if I can get better for the same price, I'm going to (or if it's barely a difference). But when I have Contra for $10 because it's cart-only and has a rental sticker, vs. a complete boxed copy for nearly $100, I'm going for that $10 cartridge. (A car is hardly the same thing as a game. A car is something you rely on.)

I don't emulate for moral reasons. I'm a Christian and stealing is one of the 10 commandment ones. That and I still enjoy the collecting aspect of it.

And where did I call anyone crazy? I just said I'm that guy buying the sticker covered cart.

I'm just saying I'm crazy, so don't go by me.  :P

If a car has some nasty cosmetic damage, it doesn't necessarily mean you can't rely on it. It could still run well, and be dependable. But I still wouldn't want that one, I want the one that is in good shape overall, including the stuff that shouldn't matter, like the body and the paint.

As for emulation, I don't understand who you would be stealing from if the game in question is no longer on the market, the developers no longer attempting to gain anything from their work and they're the only ones entitled to reap the rewards. I don't quite grasp the concept of victimless crimes.

Ah, the collecting aspect. So it's not purely just to play the game. ;) I get it, sometimes price influences a purchase, but, if it's effed up I'll just pass and look for another opportunity.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:43:23 pm by Warmsignal »

gf78

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 02:48:43 pm »
I don't emulate for moral reasons. I'm a Christian and stealing is one of the 10 commandment ones.

Masturbation is a sin too.  The bible says you should not spill your seed, better to fill the belly of a whore.   :P

insektmute

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 02:51:49 pm »
I don't think it's dying, but a lot of people have slowed down. There are a mixture of reasons, but I'd point mainly to a lot of people getting older and completing certain collection goals, high prices on certain items forcing people to pace themselves more, and general tightening of the belt due to economic factors outside of gaming.

In my case, I'm 35. Plenty of stuff I still want out there, but I have to take into consideration that my cost of living has been going up, a lot of the high priority stuff I want is in the $100-200 range now, etc. I'm still enthusiastic, but I'm also trying to PLAY the games I have and not worry so much about what I don't have, and I've never been the type to collect games I don't want to play or have any specific affection for.

TLDR: Quality over quantity!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 03:01:02 pm »
I don't emulate for moral reasons. I'm a Christian and stealing is one of the 10 commandment ones.

Masturbation is a sin too.  The bible says you should not spill your seed, better to fill the belly of a whore.   :P

Stop it before it starts.  No religion talk.

gf78

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 03:01:45 pm »
Stop it before it starts.  No religion talk.

Party pooper.   :P

BTW turf...aren't you down to needing 21 NES games now?  Gotta change your tagline.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:04:39 pm by gf78 »

telly

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 03:16:17 pm »

Oh, certainly I would rather play the actual game as it was released as much as the next guy. That's a part of the gaming experience that I miss out on when I do play emulated games. And I really do enjoy searching for a game that I want to play even though I don't do it that often. That part of me is very much rooted in the collector's mindset.

Otherwise I will definitely never buy a game that I have no interest in playing. I just can't do it, even if it's the bottom of the bargain bin. Unless it's free, I will never bite, no matter what the price, because those things add up over time. And come to think of it, I'm not even someone who is pressed to find a complete pristine copy of a game either. It highly depends on the medium (CD vs Cart), among others, but other than making sure it has the CD case it came in, it's not something that I'm too dedicated towards. It's interesting how those things are different for different people, and no one way is better than the other. :)

At at the same time, you have a point that I'm not someone who will shy away from a digital copy of a game given the circumstances. I have no regrets buying Suikoden II on the PSN for $10 compared to the physical release for $150; for me I'm willing to make that sacrifice if it means I can play the game and enjoy it at least somewhat authentically. That's probably a double standard, but that's just how I like to play games.  :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:31:48 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery