Author Topic: Disk vs Disc  (Read 1010 times)

Disk vs Disc
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:55:20 am »
This is a nitpick.  It doesn't actually bother me or anything, but I figured since I notice it everytime, I would bring it up.

When you add an item to your collection the first checkbox is cart/disk/item.
Disk is (generally) the term for magnetic media such as 3 1/4" floppy while Disc is optical media such as CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray.  I was wondering if given the prevalence of Optical vs Magnetic media, this should be reflected on the checkbox.

Like I said, it's a nitpick.  Just figured I would bring it up.

davifus

Re: Disk vs Disc
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:19:16 am »
I never noticed the difference between disk and disc. Man, I feel stupid.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 11:18:12 am »
Since "disc" is missing, then "item" is the correct choice. In an ideal world, you would choose what type of media the game includes and how many.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 03:04:52 pm »
Since "disc" is missing, then "item" is the correct choice. In an ideal world, you would choose what type of media the game includes and how many.

Yeah, I've thought about being nitpicky about it as well, but "item" covers most bases. The more difficult part is when you have an item that has several parts (a collector's edition, for example), and you might be missing something there.  But that's what the personal notes field is for.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 07:17:17 pm »
This definitely popped out at me upon first view. I promptly ignored it in fear of being a "nitpicker"

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 03:22:40 am »
And remember: never ever mix the two of these up while talking to Apple technical support or else they will hang up on you. joke