Author Topic: Console Peasants versus PC Master Race: Why the Peasants Win!  (Read 10225 times)

gf78

Console Peasants versus PC Master Race: Why the Peasants Win!
« on: November 13, 2015, 02:49:42 pm »
I just wanted to share my thoughts on a topic that comes up (inevitably) on nearly every other posting site besides our little community.  And I will say up front, I have nothing against PC gaming and in fact - own PC games myself.  Setting all other considerations aside such as preference between couch or desk gaming and controller preferences, these are the facts as I see it.

A PC can absolutely be the most powerful gaming rig on the planet.  PC elitists are keen to point out how their keyboard/mouse combo is so much more precise and how they can run games in 4K resolution at a bajillion frames per second and that you can download and/or create your own mods for games, extending their lives beyond the scope the developers originally envisioned.  And all of that is true, if you are willing to pay the price.  That price ranges from (and correct me if I am wrong) $600 for a mid-range system you build yourself to over $2000 for a custom built PC.  And sure, you can do a lot of other things with your PC besides just gaming.

On the flip-side, I can buy a PS4, Xbox One and Wii U for under $1000, complete with three games (one bundled with each minimum these days) and the controllers.  PC Gamers are keen to show you where they get the best deals at, and if you wait until Black Friday sales begin, you can snag all three of these consoles for around $800.  Sure, these systems don't run at 4K resolution.  They don't let you do your word processing, though popular uses such as web browsing, Facebook, YouTube and others are readily available to you.  They don't allow you to mod your games, though this feature is being implemented in Fallout 4, existed on the PS3 with Unreal Tournament III and more games are sure to follow. 

So why do I think that console gaming is fantastic and the best way to go?  Because of the games.  PC gamers claim that "all the best games come to PC."  This is completely false.  Taste aside, where are the critically-acclaimed, award-winning games like Mario or Zelda on the PC?  Last time I checked, Nintendo doesn't make PC games.  So you have an entire consoles worth (not literally, but close to it looking at the Wii U's library) of fantastic exclusives that PC-exclusive gamers will never get to play.  What about all the great Sony-exclusive games?  Last of Us, LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, etc.?  They have never and will never make the jump to PC.  Microsoft who also makes PC games, has a slew of titles that aren't available on the PC.  PC-exclusive gamers will never get to play many of these games. 

And setting a few cross-platform greats like Fallout 4 aside, I just don't see how being a PC-exclusive elitist snob even works since the bulk of their library is made up of games that are on the consoles or just aren't that great to begin with.  Most PC games don't even see a physical release any longer which means you cannot even trade or sell your games.  Not to mention the need to upgrade components every couple of years in your PC whereas consoles never need to be upgraded. 

For me, playing the best games is a far more important factor than having the absolutely best cutting-edge hardware.  I may not be able to play my games at 1000000fps @ 4K resolution with to-the-pixel laser accuracy with a mouse, but PC-exclusive gamers will never know the joy of Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros., Uncharted, Destiny, Gran Turismo, Mario Kart and literally thousands of other console-exclusive titles. 

I'll take that trade-off any day.  Thoughts?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Console Peasants versus PC Master Race: Why the Peasants Win!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 03:38:28 pm »
It's just what I know and what I'm used to. I grew up on console gaming, and I continue to game on consoles because it's what I'm comfortable and familiar with. I don't think I'm any better than PC gamers for it, though.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 03:51:21 pm »
Thoughts?

What an obnoxious thread title.

gf78

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:04:44 pm »
Thoughts?

It is obnoxious, but I only used it because that is the type of elitist attitude that I run into daily online and the very titles that are applied.  I see that your games collection are from Europe and Japan so I assume you live in one of those areas.  Forgive me if I am incorrect.  But "PC Master Race" and "Console Peasant" are terms often used in the US to show the (supposed) superiority of PC gamers and gaming.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:06:53 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 04:09:07 pm »
It's just what I know and what I'm used to. I grew up on console gaming, and I continue to game on consoles because it's what I'm comfortable and familiar with. I don't think I'm any better than PC gamers for it, though.

I don't think I am any better than a PC-exclusive gamer either, nor do I think because my primary gaming is on the PS4 that I am somehow better than you for primarily gaming on an Xbox One.  That's just preference. 

I just find it strange how the PC guys claim to be superior and ignore the sheer amount of console-exclusive titles that they will never have access to.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 04:10:38 pm »

You must not be familiar with the playful memes used on the internet to describe the faction of PC gamers.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »
How dare you defy the glory and majesty of the PC Master Race, Peasant!

But nah, I console game and PC game.  I've heavily switched more to PC in recent years because I do think it tends to be the better experience usually, outside of some exceptions from bad PC ports (Looking at you Batman), but I also enjoy the ease of convenience with console game as I own a PS3, 360, and Wii U right now.  Primarily I play shooters on PC, cause keyboard/mouse is way better once you get to use to it, I play it for mods which have added countless hours of enjoyment across a number of games (STALKER, Fallout, Skyrim).  It does miss out on some of the console exclusives, but much of the console exclusives aren't a super huge miss, especially with a PC.  Killer Instinct is coming to PC, Halo 5 has been loosely talked about maybe coming to PC, and a lot of games are just multi-system nowadays.  Dragon Quest Heroes is coming to PC for instance.  For me, I think the best mix is a PC with a Nintendo system right now since Nintendo has a lot more exclusive titles that'll never show up on PC.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 04:30:58 pm »
I don't really like PC gaming. One of my good friends is a die hard PC gamer now, after having grown up on consoles. He loves to show off what Batman or Far Cry looks like with the highest settings turned on, but to me it's not mind blowingly better than anything you'd get on PS4 or XB1. The lengths he'll go to fumble around and get a GameCube emulator working is just unbelievable. Though I suppose I can't throw too many stones, since I also go to crazy lengths to get consoles looking great with a Framemeister.  ;D

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 04:45:39 pm »
Does it really matter?  PC Master Race doesn't need to be uttered on this site.  It's the general attitude here that you play what you like.  If you like PC games, good for you. If you're a console guy, do your thing.

That stuff is on the internet.  Let's be better than that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 04:56:13 pm »

Oh, so you're a VGCollect elitist now?  ;)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 04:59:19 pm »

Oh, so you're a VGCollect elitist now?  ;)

Yeah... Aren't you?

rayne315

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 05:01:08 pm »
Does it really matter?  PC Master Race doesn't need to be uttered on this site.  It's the general attitude here that you play what you like.  If you like PC games, good for you. If you're a console guy, do your thing.

yeah me personally I believe this conversation material is almost the same as talking religion or politics. It will only lead to arguments. This site to me is about the games not the platforms used to play them (unless conversing on such maters of the RROD, YB, ect.). So I ask; please do not let this conversation get out of hand.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 05:05:40 pm »

I was starting a conversation turf.  It's the general gaming discussion thread so I didn't see any harm in it. 

gf78

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 05:13:25 pm »
yeah me personally I believe this conversation material is almost the same as talking religion or politics. It will only lead to arguments. This site to me is about the games not the platforms used to play them (unless conversing on such maters of the RROD, YB, ect.). So I ask; please do not let this conversation get out of hand.

That wasn't my intention at all to start a war or argument.  Just bringing up and discussing a topic that gets thrown around constantly online.  I don't partake in those "flame wars" and this is the only site I post at.  I was just curious what others thought.  If anyone finds this thread offensive, please delete it.

tpugmire

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 06:01:32 pm »
No harm done, nobody has done any name calling, so I'm good. Just keep it civil folks.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com