Author Topic: New Dreamcast...Really?!  (Read 9789 times)

Re: New Dreamcast...Really?!
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 09:32:14 pm »
there isn't much financial gain for Sega to release a modernized retro console.

And that thing probably costs 50 bucks to make.  What that new Dreamcast is being asked to be would cost much more than that.

aliensstudios

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 11:11:31 pm »
I really wish this was happening but most of me thinks it never will
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 03:13:49 am »
SEGA is certainly not developing a new hardware to enter a competition against 8th gen in their current state, it's strictly impossible. Even if they wanted to create a new hardware it would never be a "Dreamcast 2", it would be a new name with a new concept, the golden age of SEGA in the arcades is long gone.

Then let's say a real limited edition DC console ? You realize that building a Dreamcast console that can launch DC games require a GD-ROM drive unit that has been discontinued by Yamaha 10 years ago, right ? Unless this Tennessee guy has made a special contract with Samsung to rebuild those antiquated drives you won't be reading a retail DC game in his console.

What would that be then, a "retro-modern" console ala Neo-Geo X with a NAOMI emulator that can't actualy properly work and output horribly upscaled games to HDMI ? A KallistiOS machine that can only play homebrews ?

I love the Dreamcast, I REALLY DO, but please let it rest in the SEGA pantheon now and go on...
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

kashell

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 09:15:50 am »
This doesn't seem legit. Just based on a click to the website, clearly something is amiss.

The Dreamcast can only live in our memories. It's a shame, but that's the way thing go in the video game world.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 01:30:56 pm »
My guess is that this may be some sort of Dreamcast clone system that is endorsed by Sega, similar to that Genesis they sell that plays the carts and also has like 50-games built in. I honestly think this would be awesome if they did it right. The hardware would be ultra cheap to produce now as well. It would be nice too since the disk drive on the Dreamcast seems to crap out frequently (I've gone through three of them).

This is certainly not a "Dreamcast 2" that will be competing with the PS4 or XB1.

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 06:34:18 pm »
I'm not seeing anything on this at all when I search for projectdream on the web, except for an unlicensed Super Nintendo game.

So I don't know if this is the real deal or what?

And besides, what's wrong with the old Dreamcast?
It has some awesome games.  People are still making games, mods and hacks for it.
It's easy to access ISO files, burn them to a disc and play them.
It still has online support with servers still existing for the hardcore community.

...I don't get it.

What makes this so special anyway?

gf78

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 12:00:22 pm »
there isn't much financial gain for Sega to release a modernized retro console.

Sega didn't release that any more than Atari or Coleco released new consoles. That's a third party who licensed the rights.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 12:49:58 pm »
^ Which is how this would work, I'm sure, if it happens.

The new Genesis is officially licensed by Sega, though, and they do get a piece of that profit.

gf78

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 02:16:38 pm »
The Sega of our memories is just that:  A memory. Aside from Atlus games, Sega doesn't release much and 99% of what they DO release is crap. There's been what - one good Sonic game out of the last 20? 

Yakuza has a niche following, but Sega has shown they don't care for making great games any longer and have disbanded most of their in-house talent. Alien Isolation by the Creative Assembly was their only great game in years and they basically contracted to have a outside developer make that. They are only even making Alien games because they have the rights for them right now.

A new Sega system would either be a retro style like the Genesis shown or...well, nothing.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 04:39:00 pm »
This thing is making the rounds on all the newsites. Today it seems to be becoming a hotly debated subject. Much of it revolving around basically the same discussion we had here: Is this for real? Or is this just another internet hoax?

As many of pointed out, this seems like there's more to it this time around. But as many of the Sega fans are pointing out: This wouldn't be the first time we've had the wool pulled over our eyes regarding a new Sega system (anyone remember the Ring Edge-based console patents Sega filed a few years back that never turned into anything?).

What's more interesting, is I've even heard people point out Zach Morris as possibly being a part of this. While his name was never officially mentioned, people are pointing to the fact that a lot of the same behaviors are being exhibited by one of the team members. If you don't know, Zach Morris is a guy that has perpetuated more than one online rumor of a Dreamcast 2 over the years.

Like I said before, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'd rather hope a new console can come out, than give up on the idea as soon as I see it. But all this debate and speculation around the gaming world will at least hopefully open Sega's eyes to the fact that they still have console fans out there that would pay for something new.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 06:47:19 pm »
What's more interesting, is I've even heard people point out Zach Morris as possibly being a part of this. While his name was never officially mentioned, people are pointing to the fact that a lot of the same behaviors are being exhibited by one of the team members. If you don't know, Zach Morris is a guy that has perpetuated more than one online rumor of a Dreamcast 2 over the years.

??? ??? ???
I can tell you I got absolutely nothing to do with this and have never made a rumor about the Dreamcast 2

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 07:46:11 pm »

??? ??? ???
I can tell you I got absolutely nothing to do with this and have never made a rumor about the Dreamcast 2

lol, when I read the name this is what I thought of:

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 08:31:17 pm »

??? ??? ???

lol, when I read the name this is what I thought of:

[img]

and people wonder why I hate that Show. I just found out recently that my dad got the idea for my first name from the Actor John Zacherley

spac316

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 12:25:57 am »
I am getting so sick of seeing this crap.
The golden age of Sega is gone and people need to get over it. This is just click bait and it will never happen.

turom

PRO Supporter

BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE