Author Topic: Category/Platform Requests (Archive)  (Read 49066 times)

telly

Re: Category/Platform Requests
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2016, 11:33:56 am »
Request for Xbox [KR]. We have one game that needs to be moved there from the [JP] category
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2016, 12:12:06 pm »
Concerning digital download, I don't think there should be a region specific category at all.
Names and availability do vary region to region.

The generic category is such a pain because it doesn't say where the game comes from. For example, Fatal Labyrinth:
http://vgcollect.com/item/86992
Which is on Steam, a Steam entry already exists
However you could have bought it on Amazon, as there is a listing there. And there are other sites where you could buy "the Genesis version" which means it was a rom. I tried to find where you can buy and download this PC version now and I come up empty. So this puts a bad taste in my mouth for this category, it doesn't mean anything without knowing where it comes from. We even have games in the db that are free-to-play MMOs, and they are in the digital category.

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2016, 01:26:07 pm »
Concerning digital download, I don't think there should be a region specific category at all.
Names and availability do vary region to region.

The generic category is such a pain because it doesn't say where the game comes from. For example, Fatal Labyrinth:
http://vgcollect.com/item/86992
Which is on Steam, a Steam entry already exists
However you could have bought it on Amazon, as there is a listing there. And there are other sites where you could buy "the Genesis version" which means it was a rom. I tried to find where you can buy and download this PC version now and I come up empty. So this puts a bad taste in my mouth for this category, it doesn't mean anything without knowing where it comes from. We even have games in the db that are free-to-play MMOs, and they are in the digital category.
Digital is trash?

tripredacus

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2016, 07:18:53 pm »
Digital is trash?

People want this type of category and that fine. It is not something I personally would track. I have no problem with download only games if that is what you mean.

« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2016, 07:37:34 pm »
Digital is trash?

People want this type of category and that fine. It is not something I personally would track. I have no problem with download only games if that is what you mean.
Oh, you aren't talking about digital downloads in general, but specifically the "Digital Download [NA]" and subsequent other like categories.

I agree.

karyann

« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2016, 09:01:30 pm »
Regarding splitting the PC category as is still under evaluation. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have one category for the floppy disks and one for the optical discs? I mean, there was a time when PC games game delivered both on 3.5 and 5.25 inch disks in the same box (this might also be true for CD/DVD). Would it perhaps be easier/better to structure it something like this:

Split PC [NA] into:
- PC 3.5"/5.25" Floppy Disk [NA]
- PC CD/DVD-ROM [NA]

Split PC [EU] into:
- PC 3.5"/5.25" Floppy Disk [EU]
- PC CD/DVD-ROM [EU]
- PC - Digital Download [EU]

Since the majority of the existing games within the PC [NA] and PC [EU] categories are CD/DVD releases, just rename these categories to PC CD/DVD-ROM [NA] and PC CD/DVD-ROM [EU] and let the users move the floppy versions of games over to the new PC 3.5"/5.25" Floppy Disk categories over time.

I find this idea to be very interesting, especially since you're saying that floppies often came in the same box. That would definitely limit the confusion as to where these items go.

tripredacus

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2016, 12:22:08 pm »
Regarding splitting the PC category as is still under evaluation. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have one category for the floppy disks and one for the optical discs? I mean, there was a time when PC games game delivered both on 3.5 and 5.25 inch disks in the same box (this might also be true for CD/DVD). Would it perhaps be easier/better to structure it something like this:

Split PC [NA] into:
- PC CD/DVD-ROM [NA]

Split PC [EU] into:
- PC CD/DVD-ROM [EU]

Since the majority of the existing games within the PC [NA] and PC [EU] categories are CD/DVD releases, just rename these categories to PC CD/DVD-ROM [NA] and PC CD/DVD-ROM [EU] and let the users move the floppy versions of games over to the new PC 3.5"/5.25" Floppy Disk categories over time.

I find this idea to be very interesting, especially since you're saying that floppies often came in the same box. That would definitely limit the confusion as to where these items go.

Yes/no. Computer games can be like this:
- 5.25" disk
- 3.5" disk
- 3.5" and 5.25" disk
- 3.5" disk and CD-ROM
- CD-ROM and DVD-ROM
- DVD-ROM

For the uncommon instances where a game comes with a CD and 3.5" floppy disk, then we should prioritize it as a CD game, if these categories are adopted.

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2016, 03:48:12 am »

Split PC [NA] into:
- PC CD/DVD-ROM [NA]

Split PC [EU] into:
- PC CD/DVD-ROM [EU]

Yes/no. Computer games can be like this:
- 5.25" disk
- 3.5" disk
- 3.5" and 5.25" disk
- 3.5" disk and CD-ROM
- CD-ROM and DVD-ROM
- DVD-ROM

For the uncommon instances where a game comes with a CD and 3.5" floppy disk, then we should prioritize it as a CD game, if these categories are adopted.

This really is a mess ;D I think the best solution would be to be able to add one or more Formats to an entry in a category, and not have the actual Formats as categories in themselves

tripredacus

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2016, 10:26:14 am »
Yeah, aside from IBM PC/DOS/Windows games, the other computers have similar situations where they can come with formats like this:

5.25" disk
3.5" disk
cassette
whatever this disk is called: http://vgcollect.com/item/100494

Either on their own or in various combinations.

« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2016, 05:13:00 am »
Yeah, aside from IBM PC/DOS/Windows games, the other computers have similar situations where they can come with formats like this:

5.25" disk
3.5" disk
cassette
whatever this disk is called: http://vgcollect.com/item/100494

Either on their own or in various combinations.

Ah yes, the infamous 3" floppy disk. I think this was only ever used with the Amstrad CPC / Spectrum Computers. Maybe the MSX computers also used this

Flashback2012

« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2016, 02:17:17 pm »
Putting this here to see if anything happens.

Interactive Figures and Cards
Amiibo Cards
Amiibo Figures
Disney Infinity Figures/Power Discs/Play Sets
LEGO Dimensions Figures
Nintendo e-Reader Cards
Pokemon Rumble U NFC Figures
Skylanders Figures/Traps/Vehicles

« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2016, 05:17:31 pm »

Amiibo Cards
Amiibo Figures
LEGO Dimensions Figures
Nintendo e-Reader Cards
If we are going to stuff Infinity and Skylanders stuff into a single category, Amiibo should also be a single category.

Flashback2012

« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2016, 02:23:36 am »

Amiibo Cards
Amiibo Figures
LEGO Dimensions Figures
Nintendo e-Reader Cards
If we are going to stuff Infinity and Skylanders stuff into a single category, Amiibo should also be a single category.

You must've been on sabbatical when we were going over this a few months back.  ;) 

I wanna say it was discussed in the thread that I pulled that from and unless I'm mistaken, the consensus was people wanted the figures separate from the cards. I think with 400 cards and however many figures (a couple hundred all combined from the various regions they've been released in I would imagine), it might work better if they were separate but that's just my opinion. I mean we do have categories with scant or no entries in them so it's not like two categories instead of one is going to clutter things up too much.  ;)

One of the reasons I was okay lumping the Skylanders Figures and Vehicles together as well as the Infinity Figures/Power Discs/Play Sets into one category is that in some instances they are packaged together. To the best of my knowledge, Skylanders Traps were not bundled with anything but other traps so I just lumped them in with the Figures/Vehicles for the sake of convenience.

karyann

« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2016, 11:02:31 am »

Amiibo Cards
Amiibo Figures
LEGO Dimensions Figures
Nintendo e-Reader Cards

The script was all complete and ready to roll, and then I moved so I didn't have time, and then my computer crashed and I lost my latest version... I still have a halfway through version that I'm working on finishing again. But it's coming! Thanks for all off you guys' patience on this.

Also yes that was the consensus that most people who participated in the thread agreed on.

telly

« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2016, 11:59:10 am »
Another category, Nintendo 3DS [CN], please!

Sorry for all the platform requests   ;D
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery