Author Topic: I don't know how to Craigslist >:(  (Read 2238 times)

indenton

I don't know how to Craigslist >:(
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:00:23 pm »
I'm sorry about this in advance, I just need to vent my frustration, maybe someone here has had a similar experience or a good laugh at my stupidity:  So I finally decided that I needed to pick up a PS4 console, ready for the end of college.  I decided to look on Craigslist to see if I could find a good deal for a standalone console (... oh goodie).  Dammit I feel so stupid, there were so many warning signs fixed to the listing I decided to contact.  To be fair, Craiglist has a whole list of rules to follow when identifying scams ... yep!

1. There were five, I repeat, FIVE listings using the exact same photo

2. The listing mentions 5 games, but only a sealed copy of Fifa 16 can be seen in the photo

3. A second controller can be seen in the photo, but was NEVER mentioned, those things ain't cheap

4. The 'dumbass' wanted me to do a bank transfer because 5% would be deducted from a PayPal payment.  This is incorrect since the cut only applies when dealing with different currencies. 

5. I asked about the other 4 games, one of them was 'UFC 2016' (This isn't a game)

6. I assumed the other games had been downloaded rather than asking to see an image

So I have officially been scammed out of £110, I could of given that to save the penguins or something, but no... I was completely blind to EVERY SINGLE SIGN in front of my bloody face. 

FF Type-0, Tomb Raider, Senran Kagura, DOA5, Overwatch, Gravity Rush... you're gonna have to wait a little while longer
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:03:10 pm by indenton »

maximo310

Re: I don't know how to Craigslist >:(
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 11:29:32 pm »
Wait, so the seller couldn't met in person at a secure location as well as accept cash? If they don't do those two things, I immeditately stop the deal.

You've always got to double check and ask a ton of questions to the seller; you can sometimes tell from their replies if they're more likely to be a scammer or not. Craigslist is a place for good deals, but its a marketplace where you have to exercise more caution since the liability is in your hands.

ffxik

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 11:30:00 pm »
I never transfer when dealing with CL.  I always ask to meet in a public place, like the local PD.  Cash only.

Patience grasshopper.  Impulsiveness is the bane of Craigslist buyers.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 12:09:27 am »
I don't even trust Craigslist in the best of circumstances with meeting people in very public areas with simple cash, then again I'm abit paranoid about this kind of stuff these days.

indenton

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 02:44:42 am »
Wait, so the seller couldn't met in person at a secure location as well as accept cash? If they don't do those two things, I immediately stop the deal.

You've always got to double check and ask a ton of questions to the seller; you can sometimes tell from their replies if they're more likely to be a scammer or not. Craigslist is a place for good deals, but its a marketplace where you have to exercise more caution since the liability is in your hands.

Basically, I learnt about the actual advantage of Craigslist, the only reason why people might suggest it, after the damage was done.  I don't have a car and I can't drive yet, so craigslist is pretty much worthless to me.  It is now anyway

indenton

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 02:51:55 am »
I never transfer when dealing with CL.  I always ask to meet in a public place, like the local PD.  Cash only.

Patience grasshopper.  Impulsiveness is the bane of Craigslist buyers.

Despite all of his stupiderrors, I failed to recognise as a warning that he may be stupid. 

Grasshopper!  That cheered me up a bit ;)

indenton

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 03:00:24 am »
I don't even trust Craigslist in the best of circumstances with meeting people in very public areas with simple cash, then again I'm abit paranoid about this kind of stuff these days.

After sleeping on it, I'm feeling a bit better after the matter.  There's a silver lining to be found here, you quickly develop a sharp eye against this happening in the future.  Learn from a bad experience I guess.  :P  Because when they slip up, then it's time to paint the town red!

kashell

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:54:21 am »
Lessons learned. It could have been worse. Try not to beat yourself up about it.

azure

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 10:54:37 am »
Everyone has learned a lesson the hard way, just brush it off. Karma keeps everything in check, scammers get whats coming to them.

rayne315

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 12:43:09 pm »
just a general rule of thumb never give any money without having the product in hand. one of my friends fell for a much worse scam.

they are an avid outdoor person and had been wanting to buy one of those old polished steel/chrome aerostreams. found a listing on craigslist for 8 grand under its actual value and got in touch with the guy. he kept on sending pictures of whatever my friend asked about. inside, outside, what the bathroom looks like, all the integrated storage areas, ect. but they never met up in real life. their was always something that came up on planned meeting days that caused him not to make it. instead of just backing out of the deal my friend decided to pay the man and just meet him at his house to pick up the aerosteam.

The guy said he would only accept payment in the form of those $500 walmart credit cards (which is a MAJOR MAJOR red flag) and got the guys "Address" and when my friend went to the house the occupants of the house didn't know him, tried to call the guy and his phone was disconnected, and afterword when we searched the pictures they were all pulled offline from a past ebay auction.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 01:01:25 pm »
Ouch, I'm surprised your friend went through all that with the giftcards and everything...

That is a common scam on CL, unfortunately, advertising something that's not actually yours. People will take photos from other listings and pretend it's theirs to get people to put down a security deposit for an apartment or what not. You have to be really careful when dealing with people, especially if there's no good way to get your money back should anything happen.

I'm personally terrified of doing a transaction on CL that's potentially worth a lot of money as there are always the awful stories of people being killed or robbed when meeting up with someone for a purchase or a sale.

If anything, I'm glad you're safe!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 01:11:54 pm »
Ive only ever done craigslist 3 times and all 3 times have taken place inside a local bank. they are 100% fine with the transactions so long as its not for anything illegal, isn't weaponry (guns, bow-and-arrows, knifes, swords, etc) you have an account their, or get the money out of their inside atm, and for anything large that cant take place inside for a $20 fee they will send out an employee to handle the transactions.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 01:13:14 pm »
Ive only ever done craigslist 3 times and all 3 times have taken place inside a local bank. they are 100% fine with the transactions so long as its not for anything illegal, isn't weaponry (guns, bow-and-arrows, knifes, swords, etc) you have an account their, or get the money out of their inside atm, and for anything large that cant take place inside for a $20 fee they will send out an employee to handle the transactions.

Oh, that's really nice to know! I've heard about the police station suggestion, but sometimes the police stations in my area are in iffy neighborhoods already...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 01:37:41 pm »
I generally just try to meet somewhere very public that preferably has cameras, most places have parking lot cameras.

Worst I've had with CL is folks who never show up.

indenton

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 07:01:30 pm »
I was too humiliated to tell anyone about this in person, but the VGCollect community came through and got me out of my slump.  Thank you all so much, I'm feeling much better now!