Author Topic: PSP and Vita or 3DS and DS?  (Read 1961 times)

PSP and Vita or 3DS and DS?
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:58:39 pm »
Which portable duo do you like more.  Nintendo's or Sony's?   ;D

Re: PSP and Vita or 3DS and DS?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:14:46 pm »
It's kinda a tough choice since I have all 4. In terms of graphical power Sony hands down. In terms of alot of good games to play gotta give it to Nintendo.

azure

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:24:01 pm »
I like them both for different reasons. Each have their ups and downs, as well as great games.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:26:44 pm »
I'm not a big handheld person, but I've usually been more interested in the Nintendo handhelds.  Sony had the graphical power, but was never really excited by many games for the PSP or VIta, whereas I've regularly gone "I wish I liked playing handhelds more" when it came to Nintendo releases on both lol

anagar

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 07:28:19 pm »
I like all 4 of them. They all have great games.
PSN,Wii U/NID:ANA_GAR XBL:ANAGARXB 3DS/FC:4441-9981-8329

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:38:22 pm »
The 3DS/DS combo wins for the variety of game and easy backwards comptability w/ previous systems. As much as I like some of the jrpgs and platformers on the psp, the ps vita hasn't been too interesting with its library.

necrosexual

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:46:41 pm »
PSP/vita tbh
the ds and 3ds are fine handhelds, but the vita and psp completely demolish them where it matters for me: battery life (vita's sleep mode is god-tier), graphics and dear god its library. it's a JRPG/vis novel wet dream, and also a very top-notch portable ps1 if you so choose to use it that way. it's a shame ps2 classics never hit it, because that would make it even better. it's also an indie dream machine. indie devs love it, because vita owners are loyal as fuck, so if you like indies, well. there you go.

the 3ds is still hindered by nintendo's archaic 'downloads locked to console' bullshit, bad graphics, god-awful battery and while the library is varied and vast in comparison to the vita ('specially physical releases), i don't care for 90% of the variation. i hate mario kart portable games, i hate the entire idea of smash on a handheld (or any fighting game, really, tho vita also has a nice list of fighting games if you want them), i don't really care for mario on handhelds, either. 3ds is mostly, for me, for more 'casual' experiences... story of seasons, animal crossing... then there's monster hunter, it's one real redeeming 'gotta have that' for me. and SMTIV being an exclusive. i'm losing a lot of interest in pokemon (still don't have pokemon go "because of server issues" but tbh, i'm really worn out and drained on pokemon) so i don't even know when i'll bother with sun or moon.

as for DS, i wasn't really old enough to build a DS collection, because i hate buying cart-only. same for PSP, but PSP all still have their cases courtesy of gamestop not chucking them in the bin, so it's much, much easier to collect for. local game shop here has tons of great titles for cheap, too, all complete... when i get more cash, i'll be buying out a lot of it. at the time, though, i still looked at nintendo handhelds as "pokemon playing devices"

and 3DS's bc is fucking trash because screen resolution issues and the D-pad sitting so low on the console. people like to cite it, but imo, it's just as pesky as vita's, just in different ways. i know there's a way to manipulate it to the original resolution, but i forget how every time... and i have a DS lite for that anyway.

i know sony has zero plans of another handheld, but i find that a fucking mad shame.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:49:01 pm by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 08:12:19 pm »
Definitely 3DS/DS for me even though we have all four of the handhelds (5 if you count the PSTV) in my house.

They're all great but just looking at the number of titles I have for all the consoles:

DS: 105
3DS: 43
PSP: 37
PSV: 21

I realize I also have 6 more 3DS titles on their way because of the recent sale at GameStop.

Nintendo has my wallet for sure. Would love to have more PSP games, honestly, and am excited for the Vita love these days.

Graphics aren't as important to me as a game I want to play, and Nintendo has some excellent titles and exclusives for their handhelds. PSV has some good games, but when the same game is available for PS4, I usually end up getting it for the PS4.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:46:10 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

stealthrush

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:42:10 pm »
Which portable duo do you like more.  Nintendo's or Sony's?   ;D

Nintendo DS.

Best selection of games, genre variation and high quality games for on the go. Never cared for PSP long loading times, and RPG games I would have preferred on a home console instead of a portable. PSVita and 3DS has their share of unique quality titles but not as many as DS did.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 01:19:15 am »
I'm going to answer this differently.

Nintendo 3DS>Nintendo DS>>>>>PSP>>>>>>>>>>PSVITA

kashell

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 09:10:37 am »
PSP is my favorite. It was always my go to on road trips, breaks, etc. There are so many great games and with CFW, you can make your PSP into a portable powerhouse. Also, it's not region locked and there are some fantastic games from Japan and Europe that are worth owning.

The Vita isn't far behind since it has every RPG you can imagine.

Despite all of this praise, the 3DS is also enjoyable. I'm currently playing Conception II on it and it's great with the 3D feature turned on. Some really great games are on that, too. Plus, puzzle pieces. The DS is the same way, despite all of its shovel ware.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 10:48:44 am »
PSP & Vita for me.  When judging a system, the quantity of games available takes a backseat to there being enough quality games I want to play.  The DS and 3DS have the great Nintendo-made titles, but also a ton of shovelware.  Even with the "New" 3DS, the resolution on the screens is ass so all of the games appear jagged.

I prefer the PSP the most since it has a huge variety of games on it.  Everyone praises Nintendo for their innovation, but I'd argue that Sony's offering like Patapon and Loco Roco are a lot more innovative and interesting than Nintendo's fare.  It also doesn't hurt that the PSP has better graphics & sound.  The only downside for me is the UMD drive which eats up battery.  But in all fairness, I get more playtime out of a single charge on a PSP than I do on the Wii U tablet.  So I can't complain much about that. 

The Vita seemed poised to be everything the PSP was and more.  Better graphics, better sound.  Better network, better storage medium.  Unfortunately, Sony pretty much left the little handheld that could for dead.  It still has a great existing library and receives quirky & obscure Japanese RPG's.  There is also a steady flow of digital games to keep it on life support. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 12:22:16 pm »
Never cared for PSP long loading times, and RPG games I would have preferred on a home console instead of a portable.

Sounds exactly like the NDS for me, it's so frustrating so many great games that deserved a home console release were ported to NDS to reduce development costs, resulting in a bunch of cult franchises running on a very limited hardware because, you know, niche games.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

kashell

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:13 pm »
Best selection of games, genre variation and high quality games for on the go. Never cared for PSP long loading times, and RPG games I would have preferred on a home console instead of a portable. PSVita and 3DS has their share of unique quality titles but not as many as DS did.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 04:45:35 pm »
I only own a psp and 3ds(and i guess technically ds too, cause back compat), but i'd have to go with nintendo. There's just more that i want to play there that i can only play there. I've considered getting a vita but any time i do i remember the excessively overpriced memory cards and get a bit turned off. Not only that but the vita is a bit heavy on ports/multiplats, many of which are inferior(visuals, performance, image quality, etc) to the original version on other platforms. And in those cases, why play it there?