Author Topic: What is a game that everyone hates but you love?  (Read 4610 times)

What is a game that everyone hates but you love?
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:18:02 pm »
Mine is Fracture, such an underated game. I played through it 3 times and got almost every achievement lol. A game that got a 5.9 from IGN that my friend gave me because he said its unplayable lol.  for some reason I always loved it  :)

also
virtual boy as a whole and secret agent clank lol

robertoman

Re: What is a game that everyone hates but you love?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 08:50:09 pm »
Mine would have to be Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith for the original Xbox. I always loved it as a kid and I don't understand why it got such low ratings from critics and gamers alike. It could be that it was just a "mindless button masher" but I still enjoyed it nevertheless.

jupiter

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:25:35 pm »
Buddy of mine has Fracture, maybe I should borrow it....

I think I'd go with Destrega on ps1. Got a 5/10 or something from ign but my brother and I absolutely adore that game. We used it as a sort of faux Dragonball Z game when we were younger and didn't have access to good Dragonball games.

shepard11

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:30:45 pm »
Batman Forever for the Sega Genesis. Not a fan of the movie but as a kid I loved this game and played the crap out of it. Just recently got it for the SNES and surprisingly enjoyed it just as much as I did as a kid. I did mention the movie is crap right?

hexen

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:20:12 am »
So, once upon a time there was a hidden grove where all the hate... nah, no story this time, I'll give a legitimate answer.

Two Worlds. Never has there been such an underrated game... and it's not even because it's that good, it's because outside of Elder Scrolls and Fallout, no such other games exist! It's not as polished as it's Bethesda overlords, but god-dammit, it is an open world RPG with lots to do and many systems of power progression I can't get enough of. This is personal, but the horrible quality of the writing just gave it so much charm with the hero constantly saying ridiculous campy one liners using excessive amounts of medieval talk. Foorsoth! Why can't more companies go for the Bethesda Western RPG formula? The skill reset system was also quite amazing and simple, yet not really ever replicated.

In the end it's a poor-man's Elder Scrolls, but when there are only 5 coins in the world, you still do pretty good getting the silver instead of the gold. Also, it was way better than Witcher 3, which sucks because of it's crap controls and combat ;)
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

gf78

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:31:01 am »
Duke Nukem Forever.  It was unapologetically retro 90's throwback gameplay.  Sure if you try to compare it side-by-side with modern shooters, it falls flat on many fronts.   But taken for what it is (see above), it's just a lot of fun.  I giggled like a little kid who heard a dirty joke a couple of times and was proud to earn that "turd burglar" trophy for picking a deuce up out of a john.   :P
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

jupiter

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 11:33:55 am »
Also, it was way better than Witcher 3, which sucks because of it's crap controls and combat ;)

You...You take that back right now!

Two Worlds wasn't that bad though, I'll agree.

kashell

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 04:06:19 pm »
For something more contemporary, I'll go with Star Ocean V.

But some older titles include Ephemeral Fantasia, Tsuginai: Atonement, and Stella Deus.

rayne315

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 04:18:19 pm »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 06:49:39 pm »
this is already a thread

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5115.0.html

The thread is over 2 years old... On most sites replying on something so old would be considered grave digging. Why not just let the current conversation go without bringing up an old post unless it's a relevant sticky. ._.

maximo310

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 12:46:00 am »
18th Wheeler for Dreamcast/ Gamecube and Wartech: Senko no Ronde for X360 when it comes to general reviews.

Now if this were critic reviews, there's a ton of games, especially arcade, that fit the criteria.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 03:11:29 am »
Duke Nukem Forever.  It was unapologetically retro 90's throwback gameplay.  Sure if you try to compare it side-by-side with modern shooters, it falls flat on many fronts.   But taken for what it is (see above), it's just a lot of fun.  I giggled like a little kid who heard a dirty joke a couple of times and was proud to earn that "turd burglar" trophy for picking a deuce up out of a john.   :P
This. The game has some... things you have to get past. But besides that I had a fun and laughable time playing the game!

Also, some people dislike the Guitar Hero franchise. I personally love it. So many memories playing Van Halen and Metallica songs.

necrosexual

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 07:11:55 am »
ohhhh i finally mentioned it in another post and it brought me here. OMEGA QUINTET. i think it is a really cute game, and idk, i liked it. the dialogue stretches ON AND ON but whatever. i like magical girls and i like idols and i like turn-based jrpgs. so... yeah. game was right up my alley. i guess i also liked the circumstances in which i bought it. i paid $30, but i reunited with an older friend of mine for a time... only one day, but she and i have quite the history, and we had a nice chat. nothing came of it. but yeah.
anyway, i liked it a lot. it has a 4/10 almost universally.
(i haven't beat it tho, but i rarely beat a game now)
i may or may not be an idea factory whore though, so...

back when tales of the abyss came out it got a 6/10 in game informer... the magazine that is notorious for "anything under 7 is shit". it is in my top 5 list for ps2 games.

speaking of GI, they gave pokemon mystery dungeon blue rescue team a 3/10. liked that one too.

the hyperdimension neptunia series as a whole is trashed on. i love it.

i adore animal crossing happy home designer... i NEVER was going to pick it up, mind you. i thought, why would i want that?? it's not a REAL animal crossing. well, i caved one day. REALLY glad i did. it's so cute. the game doesn't reward you, but it is cuteness overloaded. i love playing it when i do. i was addicted for a couple days. i was playing it nearly constantly. heheh. i think if you go into it expecting a reward, you're probably not playing it 'correctly'. i don't think it's meant to be rewarding. i think it's just meant to be there for those who like decorating houses in animal crossing. and it accomplishes that really well. it's almost enough to make me want to buy a stupid card reader, then jump on ebay and buy the full deck of cards (just skip that random card pull shit). almost.

i can't think of any that were really, universally shit on tho that i like. i guess that i've not experienced enough, and i shy away from really notoriously awful games.
i'm actually really surprised not to see bound by flame in these threads, though. it was scored pretty damn low, but i know i see it pop up a fucking lot in 8chan threads with identical titles such as this, or "uncovered gems" threads. i mean to grab it often, but i want to just go ahead and get the ps4 version (because why not),, but every copy i see at gamestop is damaged to all shit.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:14:08 am by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 08:45:26 am »
this is already a thread

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5115.0.html

The thread is over 2 years old... On most sites replying on something so old would be considered grave digging. Why not just let the current conversation go without bringing up an old post unless it's a relevant sticky. ._.
Last reply was only a few months ago though.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 09:21:26 am »
I wouldn't say I loooooooved it, but I really liked the 2010 Splatterhouse.  It didn't get great reviews.  I saw more than one place say that the inclusion of the older games was the only reason to buy this game. 

It was silly and repetitive, but I had a good time playing it.  It's one of the few games I played through more than once last generation.