Author Topic: Secret Santa 2016  (Read 29716 times)

desocietas

Re: Interest for Secret Santa 2016
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2016, 02:04:13 pm »
Tomorrow is the last day to sign up. Friday, I will give a week for wish lists. If you do not send in a wish list in that week, I will remove you from the list. I do not want to deal with the hassle Ive had before of people trying to get in late and having to rearrange everything. I will send out emails to everyone once that week is over giving everyone their recipient. You will have 3-4 weeks to buy and an additional 3-4 weeks to send. Basically 8 or so weeks to buy a gift and send it out to get it there by Christmas.

Thanks, Soera, for all your hard work! I'll start working on my wish list :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2016, 02:50:25 pm »
So we do send wishlists? I thought people were saying we use the wishlist feature here, at VGCollect.

I've have pruned games from my VGCollect wishlist, added games, and added notes to games just for this Secret Santa.

« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2016, 03:03:19 pm »
So we do send wishlists? I thought people were saying we use the wishlist feature here, at VGCollect.

I've have pruned games from my VGCollect wishlist, added games, and added notes to games just for this Secret Santa.
It's your choice, I think most people are using their VGC wishlist for simplicity.

kashell

« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2016, 03:06:42 pm »
Tomorrow is the last day to sign up. Friday, I will give a week for wish lists. If you do not send in a wish list in that week, I will remove you from the list. I do not want to deal with the hassle Ive had before of people trying to get in late and having to rearrange everything. I will send out emails to everyone once that week is over giving everyone their recipient. You will have 3-4 weeks to buy and an additional 3-4 weeks to send. Basically 8 or so weeks to buy a gift and send it out to get it there by Christmas.

I'm excited! I don't have that many presents to buy this year, so the chance to spread some holiday happiness (giggidy) and give someone a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Crazy Kwanza and/or Dignified Ramadan brings me joy.

Getting cool stuff from one of you darlings is nice, too. ^.~ My wish list is about complete.

desocietas

« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2016, 03:08:28 pm »
I personally like to write mine out because I like to mention things that I'm generally interested in rather than just a bullet list of items. Also, I'll include things that aren't normally listed in this database. I'll have the bullet list, too, but want to give folks some freedom :) For instance, last year, I added a DVD and mentioned little game-related danglers for my Christmas tree to use as ornaments, and I can't list those in the VGC wishlist :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2016, 03:19:51 pm »
Excellent idea. I'll still have the wish list, but when I send my PM to soe-soe I can include some addendums and such.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2016, 04:05:11 pm »
My wishlist here is 7 pages long, even after pruning it.

You think that's too much for people to want to look through? Should I send a list instead?

desocietas

« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2016, 04:12:21 pm »

You think that's too much for people to want to look through? Should I send a list instead?

Do you know if there's a way to export it? Might be easier for your SS to view if it's a list or something. I know I go to my local stores with my phone or a print out of the person's wishlist. Otherwise, the number of items seems fine to me. Some shoppers might prefer to aim for the retro stuff while other shoppers might prefer for the more current items. Gives some range for whoever your SS might be.

Also, I assume there's no way to sort by priority?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2016, 04:22:29 pm »
IMO, anything under 10 pages is perfectly fine.

I'll look at someone's wishlist and have an idea in my mind which titles I'm planning on getting.  If I'm in a situation where I'm going to flip through all pages of someone's wishlist on a whim, 10 pages would be about my limit I would bother to look through.

Of course, if I'm looking at someone's wishlist on a whim, I probably have an idea of what platform I'm considering, so I'll just look at their wishlist for a specific platform.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2016, 04:26:08 pm »

Do you know if there's a way to export it? Might be easier for your SS to view if it's a list or something. I know I go to my local stores with my phone or a print out of the person's wishlist. Otherwise, the number of items seems fine to me. Some shoppers might prefer to aim for the retro stuff while other shoppers might prefer for the more current items. Gives some range for whoever your SS might be.

Also, I assume there's no way to sort by priority?

You can add a priority to each item, I've been doing that for my higher-wanted items. But I don't think you can sort it by priority.

telly

« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2016, 04:32:55 pm »
It's too bad wishlists don't export the priority field to Excel, otherwise you could sort it there.
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2016, 04:55:03 pm »
I don't think I can export it, anyways. I don't have Microsoft Office, which Excel is on. I don't want to pay $100+ for an office package. I just use Wordpad for making documents.

« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2016, 05:00:27 pm »
OpenOffice and LibreOffice both do the same things that Microsoft Office does, but for free.

kashell

« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2016, 05:04:43 pm »
Interesting, I didn't even know you could set priorities in the Wish List.

azure

« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2016, 05:18:16 pm »
I too pruned the wishlist, added notes, and priorities. It's still very long though, need to finishing adding to it soon.