Author Topic: Secret Santa 2016  (Read 29377 times)

kashell

Re: Interest for Secret Santa 2016
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2016, 08:11:33 am »
I should have mine sent in within a few hours.

I'll also add my own two cents to this, after reading through the thread.

I've done a few SS events elsewhere before, and just want to mention a couple things. One - I think a good wishlist should be comprised only of items that you would be stoked to find under your tree on Xmas day. I think most people probably realize this, but you probably shouldn't put anything on there that is merely just padding a collection, or something you don't care a whole lot about. Granted, it needs to be reasonable and not too tough on your Santa, but don't set them up to underwhelm you with what you might consider to be just a so-so surprise. Two - While I agree to the spending guideline and I think it's a good way to discourage effortless or thoughtless gifts, let's not forget that SS isn't about money, but rather about spreading holiday cheer. I would hope that nobody is counting dollars and change on Xmas day, and that we can trust that good effort was put into each gift, and that everyone should be delighted with what their Santa brought them, given the wishlist they have turned in.

Well said.

There are only a few people left that need to send wish lists. I'm super excited for this!

« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2016, 08:15:31 am »

I've done a few SS events elsewhere before, and just want to mention a couple things. One - I think a good wishlist should be comprised only of items that you would be stoked to find under your tree on Xmas day. I think most people probably realize this, but you probably shouldn't put anything on there that is merely just padding a collection, or something you don't care a whole lot about. Granted, it needs to be reasonable and not too tough on your Santa, but don't set them up to underwhelm you with what you might consider to be just a so-so surprise. Two - While I agree to the spending guideline and I think it's a good way to discourage effortless or thoughtless gifts, let's not forget that SS isn't about money, but rather about spreading holiday cheer. I would hope that nobody is counting dollars and change on Xmas day, and that we can trust that good effort was put into each gift, and that everyone should be delighted with what their Santa brought them, given the wishlist they have turned in.
So I'm gonna throw my mindset out here, because I'm weird.  If I get anything on my wishlist, I'm probably not going to be "stoked".  I'll be glad and appreciative, but I highly doubt "stoked".  If I were to get something Kashell 2014 style, sure I'd lose my mind, which I read as levels higher than stoked, but that can't and shouldn't be expected.  For me, I think the only reasonable way I could come out of this anywhere near surprised is if my SS saw my wishlist, looked at my collection, and saw that their favorite game isn't in my collection and thinks it is a travesty and puts a copy in my SS box.  Chances are, if I don't own it or it's not on my wishlist, it is a game I've not really heard of or never really gave a second thought.  And for certain, if this happens, this game will likely be Game #1 of 52 Game Challenge 2017.

And as much as I agree with your sentiment on #2, I've received a lot of thoughtless SS gifts in my experience.  Shoot, one year, my SS sent out an empty box and then deleted their account.  Another year USPS lost the package and it was never replaced.  That last one actually happened twice.  This year I think is the first year that I'm only taking part in one SS event.  And most years, I wind up signing up twice at places so my wife can get her own SS box and I just wind up sending out 2 SS boxes, but that's fine because I enjoy the hunt.  Some people just don't care, and that is just tragic.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2016, 10:47:22 pm »

So I'm gonna throw my mindset out here, because I'm weird.  If I get anything on my wishlist, I'm probably not going to be "stoked".  I'll be glad and appreciative, but I highly doubt "stoked".  If I were to get something Kashell 2014 style, sure I'd lose my mind, which I read as levels higher than stoked, but that can't and shouldn't be expected.  For me, I think the only reasonable way I could come out of this anywhere near surprised is if my SS saw my wishlist, looked at my collection, and saw that their favorite game isn't in my collection and thinks it is a travesty and puts a copy in my SS box.  Chances are, if I don't own it or it's not on my wishlist, it is a game I've not really heard of or never really gave a second thought.  And for certain, if this happens, this game will likely be Game #1 of 52 Game Challenge 2017.

And as much as I agree with your sentiment on #2, I've received a lot of thoughtless SS gifts in my experience.  Shoot, one year, my SS sent out an empty box and then deleted their account.  Another year USPS lost the package and it was never replaced.  That last one actually happened twice.  This year I think is the first year that I'm only taking part in one SS event.  And most years, I wind up signing up twice at places so my wife can get her own SS box and I just wind up sending out 2 SS boxes, but that's fine because I enjoy the hunt.  Some people just don't care, and that is just tragic.

Dude... worst luck. Ever!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Secret Santa 2016
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2016, 02:32:48 pm »
I skimmed through the first post, and didn't see this. So forgive me if I missed it.

Anyways...Do we have an ETA on getting our Secret Santa's wishlist so we can start shopping?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2016, 02:34:06 pm »
Another question in addition to the post above:

Does anyone care about waiting until Christmas? Being a collector, I know I'm a hard guy to shop for. So I planned on opening mine as soon as I got it so my wife or someone else didn't buy me something my Secret Santa got me.

Does anyone have an issue with that?

« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2016, 02:44:31 pm »
Personally, If they aren't wrapped, I may let my wife open the gift and wrap them for me, so she knows what I'm getting and can pass that along to anyone who needs to know.

soera

« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2016, 02:46:12 pm »
I skimmed through the first post, and didn't see this. So forgive me if I missed it.

Anyways...Do we have an ETA on getting our Secret Santa's wishlist so we can start shopping?

Heh copy/paste from page 9 : Friday, I will give a week for wish lists. If you do not send in a wish list in that week, I will remove you from the list. I do not want to deal with the hassle Ive had before of people trying to get in late and having to rearrange everything. I will send out emails to everyone once that week is over giving everyone their recipient. You will have 3-4 weeks to buy and an additional 3-4 weeks to send. Basically 8 or so weeks to buy a gift and send it out to get it there by Christmas

soera

« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2016, 02:46:43 pm »
And today is the last day. Still waiting on some wishlists.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2016, 02:48:02 pm »
Thanks.

desocietas

« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2016, 02:48:34 pm »

Don't I know it! I just have to double-check that I don't actually own anything on my wishlist when I get home tonight. But you'll get it soon!

As for when people open it, that's up to them. I personally like to wait until Christmas morning, but I know other folks can't stand the wait :D
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2016, 03:05:21 pm »
So we will probably get the lists next week?

I'm more wondering if I'll be able to start searching this weekend.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2016, 03:13:36 pm »
Hyped!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

desocietas

« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2016, 03:16:25 pm »

Last year he had the PMs sent out the same day as when he got them. Hopefully I'm not the last one for him to wait for  :-[
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2016, 03:45:47 pm »

Last year he had the PMs sent out the same day as when he got them. Hopefully I'm not the last one for him to wait for  :-[

ya dun fucked up A-A-Ron
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

soera

« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2016, 04:02:30 pm »
I will have the lists out to people starting tomorrow. My daughter's birthday is tomorrow so that is precedence atm but they will be done by the beginning of next week for sure.