Author Topic: What are your thoughts on PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio? Will you buy one?  (Read 2960 times)

PS has announced their full line of new stuff for the holiday season, A slim ps4, a ps4 pro and a VR that will come out pretty much all at once this fall/holiday season. Xbox's release date is still up in the air but is rumored for next year. 

Do you feel PS has rushed their mid point console and do you think it was risky trying to beat Xbox to the punch while having speculated worst specs. Do you feel Xbox will deliver on their promise for full native 4k gaming and quote on quote "Most powerful console ever made" and do you think it will reach the projected 6 TFLOPs compared to sony's 4.2?     

Also how do you feel about Xbox One S and Xbox Scorpio both supporting UHD 4k Blu Ray while Sony PS4 Slim and Pro both not supporting full HD Blu Ray even though it is their own patent.  It doesn't make sense to me.

Do you think these consoles are unnecessary?  Do you think sony's move and press conference was a bad idea?

Will you be buying either new console or will you keep using your current console until next gen comes  NX/PS5/XB? :D

Re: What are your thoughts on PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio? Will you buy one?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:06:02 pm »
Not against a mid-way console, but while I was initially interested in the PS4 Pro, I've looked at it abit more objectively and haven't seen a lot of reasons to get it anytime soon.  It's also weird that it doesn't support 4K Blu-Ray's, Sony's own product, but the Scorpio will.  I wonder if there will be a big price difference, as perhaps Sony did as a cost cutting measure.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 02:15:20 am »
I will try to be an early adopter this time and try to replace my PS4 with the PS4 Pro as quickly as possible. My rationale for doing this is that I'm hoping to see increased framerates in a lot of games that currently sees massive framedips from time to time (BF4, GTA V etc etc)

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 02:27:23 am »
I will try to be an early adopter this time and try to replace my PS4 with the PS4 Pro as quickly as possible. My rationale for doing this is that I'm hoping to see increased framerates in a lot of games that currently sees massive framedips from time to time (BF4, GTA V etc etc)

The only problem with that is that older games running better are dependent on the devs applying patches to update their games and utilize the new hardware.  I don't expect EA will spend the time on BF4 when BF1 is about to come out as an example.  I'm gonna wait to see what improvements game actually get and see if they are worthwhile.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 02:33:19 am »
No, I won't be buying one because I don't plan on getting a 4K T.V. anytime soon.

Which about sums up my thoughts on it: I see little incentive to buy them, if you already own a current-gen system and have no plans on upgrading your TV to 4K.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 03:32:23 am »

The only problem with that is that older games running better are dependent on the devs applying patches to update their games and utilize the new hardware.  I don't expect EA will spend the time on BF4 when BF1 is about to come out as an example.  I'm gonna wait to see what improvements game actually get and see if they are worthwhile.

I don't think they need to apply patches to just increase FPS. Everything is the same in the two PS4, the only difference is the clock speed of CPU/GPU/Memory, so there should be some noticeable (or un-noticable) FPS increases regardless of patches or not. Essentially it will be like upgrading a PC from say, 2.8 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz. Of course, if they apply patches, the patches has the potential to really increase FPS as the game would then be optimized for the new HW

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:21:07 am »
Having just bought a PS4 less than a year ago I am a little pissed they've already announced a new and improved version. With that said, no I will not be buying one, probably for a very long time. Even though it isn't technically superior, the original PS4 is still capable of playing all the same games with just about the same seemless experience. I don't have a 4k TV and do not plan on getting one for a very long time. The framerate bump would be nice, but honestly I have not played a PS4 game yet where the framerate was noticably bad.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 04:37:04 pm »
No, I won't be buying one because I don't plan on getting a 4K T.V. anytime soon.

Which about sums up my thoughts on it: I see little incentive to buy them, if you already own a current-gen system and have no plans on upgrading your TV to 4K.

Pretty much my same line of thought. I can only see myself buying a scorpio before a 4K TV if my current One breaks and the Scorpio has non-resolution related advantages (e.g. massively decreased load times).

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:23:53 pm »
I don't see a point in upgrading my Ps4 atm as i don't have a 4k television and i don't think i'll be getting one anytime soon, however maybe if Psvr lasts longer than a year after launch i may consider upgrading for it, but it really just seems like an expensive fad right now, ill wait for a sale.

kashell

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:12:22 am »
I'm not interested in either of them. I'm content with my PS4 as it is, and my Xbone continues to collect more dust than an abandoned library book. I'm seriously considering trading it in towards a Wii U.

argyle

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 10:37:40 am »
I'm more interested in the VR than the Pro, but I don't plan on picking up either this year. I'll probably end up with a Pro once they come out with a console bundle/color that I really like (I've said it before, but a FF7 SE system to go along with the release of the first part of the Remake would get me, no doubt).

As for their strategy vs MS', I think the price point is right. I can't imagine MS hitting the $400 mark with the system they're promising, even a year from now - but even if they somehow do Sony will still be in a position to drop the price on the Pro by then. That year of having the more powerful system will be tough on MS as well I imagine, and the general public knows jack all about specs anyway. Setup a demo unit on a 4k TV and they'll go for it - DEPENDING on the adoption rate of 4k TVs. This holiday season will be telling, because the price of the 4k sets has finally gotten very affordable. If there's a big boost in sales of them, then people will want something to take advantage of them.

The lack of the 4k blu-ray drive is baffling. Doesn't make a lot of sense. That said, 4k blu's are insanely expensive right now so for me personally I'm not sure that I really care. Still, it's very weird.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 11:46:35 pm »
I am tempted to go with a PS4 Pro for the VR experience, but I will wait until the price point comes down. I also want to wait and see if the VR succeeds or bombs.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 09:53:19 am »
No desire.

If they made physical versions of PC games still, I'd be tempted to switch over to the master race for modern games. 

I like the convenience of being able to plug my PS4/Xbone in and playing PS4/XBone games on it.  I don't want to worry about model numbers and specs to play my games. 

Iterations are just going to cause problems and splinter the user base.  It's going to push more people to PC gaming.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 11:46:43 am »
my Xbone continues to collect more dust than an abandoned library book. I'm seriously considering trading it in towards a Wii U.

I won't tell you to sell your XBone as I really don't know if it's a good or bad platform but I own a Wii U and I spent a good trade of great gameplay hours on this console.

Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 are wonderfully crafted games that offer great polished gameplay. Bayonetta 2 is as well a hit, I personnally don't like the artistic direction of the series so I skipped it but I know Platinum Games always deliver on their main franchises.

Playing those games with a Pro Controller was really worth buying the console, for sure.

And back on topic, yes I preordered a PS4 pro because, you know, playing Bloodborne with better framerate is my wet dream.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

kashell

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 12:28:16 pm »
my Xbone continues to collect more dust than an abandoned library book. I'm seriously considering trading it in towards a Wii U.

I won't tell you to sell your XBone as I really don't know if it's a good or bad platform but I own a Wii U and I spent a good trade of great gameplay hours on this console.

Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 are wonderfully crafted games that offer great polished gameplay. Bayonetta 2 is as well a hit, I personnally don't like the artistic direction of the series so I skipped it but I know Platinum Games always deliver on their main franchises.

Playing those games with a Pro Controller was really worth buying the console, for sure.

And back on topic, yes I preordered a PS4 pro because, you know, playing Bloodborne with better framerate is my wet dream.

Yeah, one of the reasons that I want a Wii U is so I can play Smash Bros. with my brother who a couple of states away. That, plus I can finally play Kirby.