Author Topic: Wii U Ceases Production This Week  (Read 3650 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Wii U Ceases Production This Week
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 01:43:50 pm »
Expected, though still a little sad.  Probably my favorite Nintendo system since the N64.

azure

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 01:51:25 pm »
Not surprised, I really enjoy the system for what it is. Here's hoping the Switch is even better.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 01:59:38 pm »
Not surprised, I really enjoy the system for what it is. Here's hoping the Switch is even better.

My sentiments exactly.

Wii U was great hardware, and the Wii U Pad really did add to the experience (unlike the annoying waggle wands on Wii). The Nintendo-made games were fantastic, too.

But the real problem with it was that it simply needed more games. The 3rd-party support was non-existent.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:33:38 pm by burningdoom »

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 02:02:22 pm »
That's quicker than I expected. I guess with Nintendo going full steam ahead with the Switch, it makes sense. Now I wonder how long games will continue to be printed.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 02:19:17 pm »
It's just a rumor.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 02:32:40 pm »
Shame the console didn't manage more, but sharing the same sentiment as others on here already, here's hoping the Switch will be the success Nintendo is looking for. I really have enjoyed what I've played on the Wii U, though admittedly that's been mostly Mario Maker and Monster Hunter. As long as they can figure out their online component and hopefully just give us a Nintendo account that lets us carry all of our virtual console games forward from there, vs. the shitty rebuy everything each console cycle they are on now, it'll be a hit in my eyes.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 02:46:57 pm »
It's just a rumor.

But one that makes sense for a failed console, with almost no real releases coming up other than Breath of the Wild (Which is more of a formality at this point), that's about to have its successor release in about 5 months.  With the small order of the last ones, it'll likely last them into next year sometime where they'll fade away eventually from store shelves.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 03:01:27 pm »
It's being reported as fact, not heresay:

Nintendo is ending production on Wii U consoles Friday, Nov. 4, several sources have told Eurogamer. That would mark the end of the oft-troubled console’s lifespan, which saw dramatically slowed sales over the course of its four years on the market.

Eurogamer reports that the deadline for retailers to place orders for the console was Oct. 31; “a small number” were placed, sources say. Those will be the final new shipments sent to stores.

realpoketendonl

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 05:49:38 pm »
A real shame, it's a great system. Then again, I have to be honest, I only got it a few weeks ago, and a used one as well. Back when the 3DS and Wii U came out, I simply couldn't afford both consoles, and Smash 3DS and Pokémon drove me to the 3DS. I only recently managed to pick one up used (still really good condition though) solely for Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros. Still a great system (definitely with some flaws, but still really good), and it's a shame it wasn't picked up by the masses.
Let's hope the Switch fares better!
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 06:40:29 pm »
Oh well, there isn't all but four or five titles still coming out for it before it's completely phased out by the switch, so rumor or not the Wii U is done.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 08:10:45 pm »
Doesn't sound right that they would cease production before the other console is on the market.

If true, it might legitamtely create some kind of a scalper/collector mania where all of the games, especially the final few, see an overnight spike in prices. I was thinking of holding off until Xmas to get Paper Mario Color Splash, but that might be a bad idea.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 08:22:49 pm »
Maybe they're planning on making a slim model?

telly

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 09:18:14 pm »
Doesn't sound right that they would cease production before the other console is on the market.

If true, it might legitamtely create some kind of a scalper/collector mania where all of the games, especially the final few, see an overnight spike in prices. I was thinking of holding off until Xmas to get Paper Mario Color Splash, but that might be a bad idea.

I hope that's not the case either; I was planning on buying a WiiU on Black Friday this year D:
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

doafan

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 09:19:34 pm »
Maybe they're planning on making a slim model?

This is a possible idea after all the Wii had a Slim version but didn't liked the fact that with that release they removed the GameCube compatibility  :'(

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy