Author Topic: What game are you really good at?  (Read 5064 times)

kashell

Re: What game are you really good at?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 08:45:32 am »
Mega Man X3
Mega Man X4
Super Smash Bros.
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

And more recently, Aragami.

I would throw in some RPGs, but LeJason made a good point about them being more about knowledge of the games instead of skill.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:53:32 am by kashell »

telly

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 08:53:40 am »
I wouldn't say I'm really good, but I'm pretty good at Call of Duty games, particularly the first Black Ops
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), DaGeDar (DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 06:57:05 pm »
A few multiplayer titles:
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo Reach
Doom 2016
Cod Black Ops 1
Star Wars Battlefront (2004)
Star Wars Republic Commando

azure

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 10:55:25 pm »
I'm not phenomenal at games really, but I really like to pose challenges with the Mega Man titles. Doing buster only runs, no upgrade runs etc. Proud owner of the bragging rights for completing Mega Man X, X4, and X5 without getting hit. I guess I can throw Doom & Doom 2 in there as well, played the hell out of those games.

rayne315

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 11:02:00 am »
Im really good at Shadow of the Colossus. in fact if I had known about speed running back when I played it religiously I would have been a speed runner for it I was that good and efficient at it. in fact I know a bunch of exploits for the game like being able to get on top of the first colossus during the cut scene where he falls for the first time. I even know about how to get through no-mans-land on the final colossus without going through the underground and I figured it out myself too.

I need to go back to the ps3 version and platinum it...
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 11:45:16 am »
Bomberman games.. super bomberman 3 is probably my best, although I just started playing online with Bomberman Blast (WiiWare aka wii shop) and my record is 20 - 3 with those losses due to lag  ;)

also NBA hangtime / Jam T.E.       

Super Final Match Tennis (AKA Smash Tennis in Europe...)

I can give a pretty good competition on Mario Kart 8

for single player games, the most difficult one (IMHO) that I am decent at is probably Sin and  Punishment Star Successor
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

tripredacus

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 12:11:32 pm »
If I think about it, I have been really good at two games.

The first was Starcraft/BW. When I first joined battle.net, I had known a guy in a clan... I think it was [WS] or something. They were ok and I was an average player. Then that clan merged with another clan that was from South Korea and their leader was in the top 10 of the Korean Ladder. We then had some training games and he shows us how to play Protoss. So we worked that way for awhile but since there was such a time difference, we didn't end up playing with them very much. Also then everyone (the US people) left the clan or stopped playing Starcraft. I was then on my own and decided to play on the NA Ladder. I went 35-0 and then quit.

The second was Quake 3, which I played for much longer. I had mastered the strafe jump fairly quickly and then the rocket jump. Also a different way to aim, where you put your mouse sensitivity all the way up. Then you can look around very quickly. And you can time it in such a way that where you can do a 360 (or less, whatever) very fast by lifting the mouse off the desk slightly and then put it down to stop the turn. I kind of learned this by accident when I went from using ball to optical mouse around 2002. This trick can only be used with an optical mouse, it does not work for a ball mouse.

So this way you end up moving much faster than everyone else, but then you also get blamed for botting. Needing more challenge I left the normal arenas (and Urban Terror) to play on rail servers. Then I moved entirely to jump maps, or what became known as parkour servers, which were all about using the speed tricks where I then finally figured out how to do plasma walking. These types of servers all had maps where you needed to use the tricks to move around, the platforms and jumps were in some range outside of a normal jump. It was popular for a short time, but the amount of people playing Q3 was falling and most people who joined those servers did not know how to do this, so they camped a lot. I then ended up moving to speed servers like Vogon. This type of server was modified to make the game run faster than normal. This is the end of the story, having gone to this type of server, you cannot go back because normal speed is too slow. My best achievement was playing in the tournament that lasted for many hours. I made it to the final match and lost vs Russian (his name, he was from Russia).

Since having those experiences, and the amount of time it took of my life playing. Especially Quake 3 where you can get "rusty" from not playing daily, I have not had the motivation to be "good" or competitive in any other game. Now I just play them for fun.

necrosexual

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 01:50:18 am »
pokemon OTL
once you learn the mechanics to a fault, you never, ever forget them.

tetris attack... is a game i was really good at. i almost attempted the speed run challenge, but the run of the game is like 10 minutes or less, so i didn't bother, haha. it's bad enough seeing those coloured blocks behind your eyes when you just play casually... playing for a month or more straight... i might go mad. everything might be a collection of coloured blocks if i do that. hats off to the guy who probably dreams coloured blocks to this day.

i have yet to meet anyone who can beat me irl in a game of mario kart double dash, provided i'm given an opportunity to reacquaint with the controls~ mirror mode, standard mode, 16 crash course, doesn't matter. i'm really fucking good at MKDD.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 01:59:46 am »
I realize it's probably considered to be an easy game, but Super Punchout! After about 10 years of not playing, I picked it up and had a flawless run through. Punchout! on NES? Completely different story.

tpugmire

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 09:56:13 am »
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I've beaten this game so many times without dying and I know where every single item is by heart.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

tripredacus

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 10:04:34 am »
I realize it's probably considered to be an easy game, but Super Punchout! After about 10 years of not playing, I picked it up and had a flawless run through. Punchout! on NES? Completely different story.

The arcade game?

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2016, 11:17:36 am »
Ace combat 4, 5 and zero (ps2)

tony hawk (n64)
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

Warmsignal

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »

The arcade game?

Nah, I didn't realize there was an arcade one.

alkaid

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2016, 03:21:24 pm »
Does co-op Super Smah TV with my older brother count? We've played through it multiple times, getting all they keys and question marks, and then again in turbo mode.

I've had the high score on two local Galaga machines for a while now, but compared to people online I'm a total noob.
No, really.

tripredacus

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2016, 10:48:44 am »

The arcade game?

Nah, I didn't realize there was an arcade one.

I was going to say. Super Punchout!! arcade game is really tough.