Author Topic: What is your list of rules in the gaming world?  (Read 2674 times)

What is your list of rules in the gaming world?
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:31:45 pm »
What are some of the deadly sins or actions that should never be done in the realm of gaming? :D   Things that are either extremely blasphemous or disrespectful or outright stupid that should be avoided for the sake of the gaming community? :) 

Here are some of the bad things I see a lot :)

Eating Cheetos or Doritos then using someones controller without cleaning your hands leaving a layer of orange sticky greasy cheese slime on their paddle.

Putting a disc on the table face down instead of placing it back in its case allowing dust and scratches to appear on it.

Grabbing a disc by placing your thumbs on the bottom layer leaving thumb prints instead of lifting it by its hole.

Unplugging some ones console mid boss for the heck of it. Cruel pranks of that nature.

Not passing the controller after a death, taking 2 turns, or refusing to give a turn due to a technicality that the whole group did not agree upon.

Borrowing a game without returning it, borrowing a game and returning it in worst condition then received, borrowing a game and selling it/losing it.   

Making fun of someone's favorite genre of game. Or ridiculing a game someone is playing constantly killing their mood or the fun of their favorite game.

Spoiling the end of a game someone is playing or telling them key parts of what will happen ruining the game for them.

Calling Link Zelda

What are some other cardinal rules that should never be broken? :D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What is your list of rules in the gaming world?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:53:53 pm »
I can't stand store stickers or price-stickers. Even at the risk of leaving the sticky goop behind, I have to get rid of them. It's my little corner of OCD.

kevininja

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:57:15 pm »
I always hated it when a friend wanted to be Player 1. No, you're in my house so you'll be Player 2 if you want it or not.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:21:14 pm »
People putting price stickers on the labels of games or directly on boxes

People writing their names on games

Online pickups posts where people are obviously fishing for compliments (aka "Did I do good?")

Posting pickups online, particularly locally, and people hounding you about where you found them.

Game stores charging well over ebay

Fanboyism

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:15:17 am by bikingjahuty »

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:59:33 pm »
Pretty much everything you said. I had a friend who played my Wii with Cheetoh fingers, took more effort than I care to say to get that orange color off of it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:27:44 pm »
No resetting the game because you got a "Bad Start". YOU HEAR THAT WALTER

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:04:42 pm »
Lol my Dad resets NES and Intellivision games all the time. You can't really reset modern games

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 07:43:50 pm »
Lol my Dad resets NES and Intellivision games all the time. You can't really reset modern games
I hate when people do it especially in smash Bros if fact my friend was so bad with it I told him if he resets the game i was allowed to punch him as punishment. Still didn't learn his lesson

azure

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:33 pm »
Mostly everything you said. Screen cheaters come to mind with certain split screen games.

kashell

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 09:48:54 am »
Everything that has been mentioned so far is true. Also...

*Calling Samus Metroid

*Constantly asking to make a trade

That's all I got for now.

doafan

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 10:50:26 am »
If I play by myself there are no rules but if I play with my friends there are only two fucking rules and it's no Pause for anything that means if they have to go to the bathroom they will have to wait until the end of the match/fight/race and the second is that the first one that receive a phone call will pay all the food,snacks, soda and beer that we want during the day so at every game session we always need to have money in our wallets  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

aliensstudios

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 04:08:19 pm »
I hate when people do it especially in smash Bros if fact my friend was so bad with it I told him if he resets the game i was allowed to punch him as punishment. Still didn't learn his lesson
lol my brother would just turn the GameCube off and throw the controller.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 11:09:34 pm »
How much time do you have?

- Not sharing the game, or offering to let others play when someone is there with them.
- Throwing over-the-top rage filled tantrums over the fact that you are doing poorly in the game (a game is supposed to be fun, you're making it not fun).
- Bashing consoles, games, or companies because it doesn't happen to be your personal preference.
- Reading a walk-through to get by every part of the game, instead of trying to figure anything out for yourself.
- Using cheat codes to beat a game (excluding games that are "NES hard" or hard because the controls are bad).
- Having the tendency to say that many games are "the worst game ever", basically for every game that you don't like.
- Asking people if they play games, or just collect them.
- When anyone, like a GS employee, tries to talk you out of buying something that you wanted to buy.
- Video game resellers, and the buying of games solely for the purpose of profit. Especially those who won't even haggle or deal.
- Video game scalpers, those who buy up many copies of new games or systems to resell for a higher price (there's a special place in Hell for these people).
- Grouchy old men who used to run rental stores and are in the possession of a ton of classic games.
- Putting price stickers directly on labels, or cover art.
- Game companies releasing ugly value designated artwork variations like "Greatest Hits".
- Game companies withholding content and releasing as downloadable to gouge people, or recoup overblown development costs.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:12:06 pm by Warmsignal »

kashell

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 08:28:49 am »
What is it you don't like about using guides and walkthroughs? For some games, they're needed (a case of "Guide Dang-it") if you want to not get an abrupt game over or continue on with the game. Many of the RPGs I've played were made much more fun thanks to the assistance of a guide.

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 10:41:09 am »
What is it you don't like about using guides and walkthroughs? For some games, they're needed (a case of "Guide Dang-it") if you want to not get an abrupt game over or continue on with the game. Many of the RPGs I've played were made much more fun thanks to the assistance of a guide.

It's more of a personal rule that I follow. I can totally see using a guide when you get stuck, but I fail to see the point of using a guide through the entire game without trying to do any of it yourself. It seems to take all of the discovery and adventure out of it if you know what you're going to do and how to do it before you even get there. Playing a game normally you might miss some things along the way, that should be okay. I could see playing through again using a guide to get 100% because maybe you like the game that much, but the first time you play would be spoil after spoil. Being hand-held all the way through takes the fun out of it for me.   :-\