Author Topic: How do you organize your games?  (Read 1546 times)

jcalder8

How do you organize your games?
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:44:08 am »
I organize by system, genre(but only after I pass a couple hundred games) and then alphabet.

Just wondering how other people organize. I have heard that some people go by date which seems like a heck of a lot of work to me.

soera

Re: How do you organize your games?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:12:37 am »
My biggest collection of games is loose NES carts. They are just alphabetized on a shelf. My PS1 collection is done the same way. As for the rest, they are just all stuck together height wise on a 3rd shelf.

scott

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:46:34 am »
I organize by console then alphabet. But if there are series in there I order them by release order.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:37:14 am »
Im the same in organizing by console and alphabet, except for genesis and turbografx games, because the boxes have different color variants and I organize those by color and alphabet.

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 03:10:25 am »
any thing that i can find

madmax

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 04:07:15 am »
For normal games, Alphabet

For Final Fantasy, Order in series.

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 12:14:43 pm »
My good NES games are on a different shelf than my not as good ones (though some average-to-good ones are on the "bad shelf" it's because the "good shelf" has really limited space). I do put the Konami and Capcom games next to each other, but that's about the only organization I have there.

On the SNES side, I have a stack full of RPGs, a stack full of shooters (shmup or run n' gun), and then stacks of "whatever, these are good". The "not that good" games are in a separate shelf, with all the "not that good" Genesis games. The good Genesis games are above the SNES ones, one side with the loose carts, one side with the boxed carts.

Everything else is by console, placed at random.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »
Grouped by console, then alphabetized.

amauriel

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:00 am »
I don't really have the luxury of proper shelving. All my stuff is organized in plastic totes, games with the systems, hookups, and accessories and clearly labeled. Then the systems that I have a lot of games for, like the NES and the SNES, have totes for their games separately. In those totes, they are pretty much by genre.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

blipcs76

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 02:30:00 pm »
I don't really have a system for organizing my collection.  They're grouped together by system and the only ones I really organize further are NES games, where I have them sorted by publisher.

jcalder8

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 03:00:27 pm »
@blicps76, that sounds like it could get confusing if you are looking for a certain game to play. Do you have a good idea of which publishers published each game?

scott

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 03:21:58 pm »
Jobocan, your system would drive me crazy. Ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 03:59:55 pm »
Jobocan, your system would drive me crazy. Ha

It's really not that complicated :P
I do have some sort of minor organization within my stuff (series are generally stacked together, for example all the Mega Man games on NES are next to each other), but really I think it works well to have an area for "good games" and an area for games that shouldn't be bothered with. That way it's pretty easy for people to find what to play since the good stuff tends to be bunched together. And on the off chance that something they want to play is elsewhere... well, they can just ask me, since I know where everything is :P

I may change some things around soon, but it's gonna be the same concept overall.

blipcs76

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 10:56:49 am »
@blicps76, that sounds like it could get confusing if you are looking for a certain game to play. Do you have a good idea of which publishers published each game?

Yeah.  My favorite publishers on the NES are Nintendo, Konami and Capcom, so it's easy to pick those out in a hurry (all of those gray Konami boxes lined up look cool too).  If it's something more obscure like a game by Koei I have to search a little more, but I can find what I'm looking for in a minute or two most of the time.