Author Topic: Will Nintendo Switch be limited like the NES Classic?  (Read 2540 times)

Will Nintendo Switch be limited like the NES Classic?
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:22:55 pm »
I am extremely excited for the Switch :D. It's such a beautiful and also fairly affordable console. and I want to get one on launch week and I have saved up for it but I haven't put it on pre order yet. If I preorder it, will all the dirty resellers get them all first like what happened to the Mini NES?  Will it be a first come first serve limited run again? 

I am really nervous because I don't want to go through the NES mini cycle again.  I was so eager but then they all sold out instantly and within 2 days you couldn't even look at one for the MSRP 60 dollars.  I hope the switch doesn't fall victim to the same faith and I most especially hope Nintendo isn't evil and cruel enough to limit numbers on quantity or supply only like 5 per store. 

I assume they wouldn't do that because it would severely hurt their sales but I am just not sure anymore. Nintendo has been intentionally withholding quantities of sawed after items just to drive up the demand but they never seem to flood the market once the craze has hit.  which is weird. 

Do you think the switch will be the same as the NES classic and a majority of people will have to either be lucky or patient? Or do you think they will have proper stock and have enough to go around for all who want one similar to ps4 and xbox one?    I hope they do :)

aliensstudios

Re: Will Nintendo Switch be limited like the NES Classic?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:31:22 pm »
Hell no! Even though preorders are sold out atm, the Switch (I think it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway) will be pretty readily available at launch or shortly after. I preordered mine no problemo, and I'm sure anyone who really wanted/wants the system will be able to get one without jumping through too many hoops.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:37:43 pm »
Not in the same way.  The Classic had a lot of hype, but it was just a small side device they were selling.  The Switch is their big flagship console and while pre-orders are gone, they keep popping back up for pre-order, and there will still be more at launch and we'll see regular shipments afterward.  It won't be Classic hard to find.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 11:47:56 am »
I'm sure anyone who really wanted/wants the system will be able to get one without jumping through too many hoops.

Thanks for making me feel better :).  I am really excited for the switch and don't want to be stuck in the reseller pit buying one for 700 dollars lol.    :D

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:53:46 am »
Hopefully this makes you feel better.

I was actually able to preorder two; one on Amazon the night they announced it and one at Gamestop nearly a full day after they had the Switch conference. Being unsure of what demand or available was like, I was able to preorder one on Amazon as soon as those went live, but being uncertain as to whether I'd actually get it on launch day I decided to try my luck at Gamestop the next day after work. I strolled into a local Gamestop at around 6pm the next day and too my surprise they still had about 10 Grey Joy Con preorders available! Sdly, they were sold out of the blue and red set, but whatever. I even heard that some Gamestop's had available preorders for as many as three days following the conference. On a side note, I was at Gamestop on Friday and as I was in there some guy was cancelling his preorder, presumably freeing up a preorder slot.

Bottom line, I think you'll be fine :)

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:54:55 am »
It would be crazy for Nintendo to not continue manufacturing these things if people want them. I have no doubt that you will be able to buy one in 2017 with ease if you want one.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 02:31:22 pm »

I was actually able to preorder two; one on Amazon the night they announced it and one at Gamestop nearly a full day after they had the Switch conference. Being unsure of what demand or available was like, I was able to preorder one on Amazon as soon as those went live, but being uncertain as to whether I'd actually get it on launch day I decided to try my luck at Gamestop the next day after work. I strolled into a local Gamestop at around 6pm the next day and too my surprise they still had about 10 Grey Joy Con preorders available! Sdly, they were sold out of the blue and red set, but whatever. I even heard that some Gamestop's had available preorders for as many as three days following the conference. On a side note, I was at Gamestop on Friday and as I was in there some guy was cancelling his preorder, presumably freeing up a preorder slot.

Thank you for making me feel better :).  I am so excited for the release of the switch and for the first time in my whole life I am actually planning on trying to get it on launch week. I might try to find a preorder too :D.  Usually I wait for decent price drops or for a lot of games to come out for it but with the switch I love the 300 dollar price point and I love the 2017 line up.  On launch day I will try to go to my closest walmart  and try to get one but if they don't have any I will try later in the week :).     

kashell

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 08:34:24 am »
Yep. Like others have said, you should be ok. I know of a few people that have made their pre-orders after all the announcement buzz with no issues.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 05:32:46 pm »
I was able to preorder in  store at Walmart because very few people know you can do this. Stores have their own stock set aside for launch day. You should check with the electronics or layaway section of your local store.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:54:55 pm »
NES Classic was just said to hit 1.5 million sales and will be getting a production increase also.  Could have both Switch and NES Classic on store shelves together lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 09:12:41 pm »
NES Classic was just said to hit 1.5 million sales and will be getting a production increase also.  Could have both Switch and NES Classic on store shelves together lol

Damn, for a plug-n-play system, that's amazing! I'd be surprised if any of the Atari or Sega ones sold that much. That's getting into legitimate console sales numbers.

rayne315

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 01:54:35 pm »

Damn, for a plug-n-play system, that's amazing! I'd be surprised if any of the Atari or Sega ones sold that much. That's getting into legitimate console sales numbers.

people love nestalgia
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 10:50:08 am »
Found another switch on craigslist selling for 600

argyle

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 11:37:42 am »

Yup, I actually got 3 in - one each at Gamestop, Best Buy & Amazon. Gave the GS preorder to a friend who wants it, and have offered the Amazon preorder to a coworker. I'm keeping the BB one because it's red & blue ;) (GS only had grey left when I got there, and when I placed my Amazon preorder they made no distinction so who knows what it will be).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis