Author Topic: Non black PS1 Disc?  (Read 11217 times)

thecrypticodor

Non black PS1 Disc?
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:31:43 pm »
I recently obtained a copy of Spider for the PS1, and upon expection I noticed the disc wasn't black more blueish or gray depending on the light level. At first I concluded it must a bootleg, yet I tried it anyway in a couple different non-chipped Playstations and it booted perfectly fine. As far as I know pirates have never been able to create a self booting PS1 disc yet so I'm thinking it has to be real. Has anyone ever seen something like this?

tripredacus

Re: Non black PS1 Disc?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:17:13 am »
From what I understand, a plant in China (or Hong Kong as the name suggests) had illegally pressed some (extra) PlayStation games and sold outside of normal Sony channels. They are known as Hong Kong Silvers.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:24:18 am »
From what I understand, a plant in China (or Hong Kong as the name suggests) had illegally pressed some (extra) PlayStation games and sold outside of normal Sony channels. They are known as Hong Kong Silvers.
Very interesting, any signs other than the silver disc?

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 01:49:04 pm »
Hm, didn't look around too much, but found this image of the bottom of the disk: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spider-Playstation-1-PS1-Complete-Tested-/222298360779?hash=item33c203cbcb:g:CJIAAOSwcLxYFXc0
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:32:03 pm »
Square Enix also sold some reprints of Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross through their online store that were on regular silver discs.

https://vgcollect.com/images/cart-art/95650.jpg
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

thecrypticodor

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 07:45:29 pm »

Definitely not a HK silver. Those require either a mod chip or disc swapping to boot. The artwork and instruction manual and printing on the disc are as high quality and legit looking as any other PS1 game I've seen.

I’m now thinking maybe it’s a factory error. Maybe they were running low on the dye or whatever they used to make the discs black.

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:35:01 am »
Is it a Greatest Hit release? I could swear I've seen silver-bottomed GH releases on PS1 before.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 01:27:23 am »
Is it a Greatest Hit release? I could swear I've seen silver-bottomed GH releases on PS1 before.

There isn't a GH version of Spider. Also it's grey not silver. If you shine a strong light on it than it appears blue.

Here's some more pics of it.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:38:37 am by thecrypticodor »

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 10:20:13 am »
That disc looks to have been resurfaced.

Flashback2012

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:44:53 am »

Indeed. Could it be possible that the resurfacer had something to do with the lack of black on that disc?  ???

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 11:13:50 am »

Indeed. Could it be possible that the resurfacer had something to do with the lack of black on that disc?  ???

no. if it were truly a black ps1 game to begin with the only way you would be able to see anything other than black is to buff off the entirety of the plastic, making it unplayable. the black is not just applied to the bottom. its the entirety of the plastic.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Flashback2012

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:26:33 pm »
no. if it were truly a black ps1 game to begin with the only way you would be able to see anything other than black is to buff off the entirety of the plastic, making it unplayable. the black is not just applied to the bottom. its the entirety of the plastic.

That's what I figured but wasn't completely sure.  ;)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 02:54:20 pm »
Hmm, now I'm curious. I own Spider, so I'll have to check mine when I get home. I'll let you guys know if it's the same.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 08:45:19 pm »
My copy is black.

ffxik

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 11:27:22 am »
I find it odd.  All copies I have seen have been black, but there usually is a BMG Entertainment logo where that Take 2 logo happens to be.