Author Topic: Are there any other otakus on here or am i only one  (Read 3062 times)

lordscott

Are there any other otakus on here or am i only one
« on: February 22, 2017, 07:52:42 pm »
Fellow members please forgive me for asking I'm asking because well i admit that I'm also a otaku i know i might not be as awesome as those otakus & i might not have as much as those awesome stuff like they do but however i do still considered myself a otaku at my age.

& to be honest with you all i don't know are there any other otakus on this site or am i really only one/am i really alone & i admit sometimes i feel like I'm alone & sometimes i don't feel like I'm alone if that makes sense & i admit that I'm starting to get curios.

So in a way i thought of asking you all on here & see if I'm alone or I'm not alone & yes I'm also seeing of there any other older otakus on here too like me & i also apologize if this is a stupid or dumb question & MOD & Admin if this question is not allowed to be asked or if this question is a bit too far you have my permission to delete this question.

Only if you want to & if you think you should anyway thanks for reading,thanks for your time,thanks for your understanding & yes I'm only asking out of curiosity & yes I'm asking about both female & male otakus so you can understand more or know more of why am i asking thanks :).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:56:55 pm by lordscott »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Are there any other otakus on here or am i only one
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:50:31 pm »
I thought this was a derogatory term.

Now, I'm not too familiar with that culture, because it's not my thing, but I thought it was kind of like calling someone a "weebo".

indenton

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:14:49 pm »
<--- Mirai's over here for a reason, heh!

I dabble in a bit of anime myself, I have a couple of series waiting on my shelf: Nichijou, Toradora, Kill La Kill.  Watched Erased through Crunchyroll.  Damn that was solid! Easily my new favourite

Now, I'm not too familiar with that culture, because it's not my thing, but I thought it was kind of like calling someone a "weebo".

Weebo, sounds like a Chinese knock-off amiibo. 

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:16:02 pm »
I thought this was a derogatory term.

In Japan, it's not usually worn as like a proud badge.  As a term, the dictionary definition is that being an Otaku is not really a good thing.  It's also the kind of thing where someone accepts the term, rather than let it be bad and the meaning has shifted to be less of a bad thing outside of Japan.  Like being called a nerd use to be a put down, but now "nerd culture" is quite prominent.

Weeaboo is more straight up a put down, because it's meant to be directed towards people that are like "Japan is the best, they can do no wrong, I am a suburban white kid, but I really wish I was Japanese".  Again, in the internet age, meanings soften and some people will use it more loose as just like an anime nerd term.  If someone legit calls me a weeaboo, I'm not gonna be mad, I'd just say I find the culture interesting.  About it lol
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:17:44 pm by kamikazekeeg »

azure

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 10:33:16 pm »
I don't like to coin myself with labels. The phrase "Otaku" became more of a label than an insult in the mid- late 2000s with american anime/manga fans. Like Kami said, its meaning is a lot different in its originating country. Anime, Manga, JRPGs, Tokusatsu, these are some of my favorite things. I definitely fall under the category of liking most Japanese media.

indenton

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:39:00 pm »
In Japan, it's not usually worn as like a proud badge.  As a term, the dictionary definition is that being an Otaku is not really a good thing.  It's also the kind of thing where someone accepts the term, rather than let it be bad and the meaning has shifted to be less of a bad thing outside of Japan.  Like being called a nerd use to be a put down, but now "nerd culture" is quite prominent.

Weeaboo is more straight up a put down, because it's meant to be directed towards people that are like "Japan is the best, they can do no wrong, I am a suburban white kid, but I really wish I was Japanese".  Again, in the internet age, meanings soften and some people will use it more loose as just like an anime nerd term.  If someone legit calls me a weeaboo, I'm not gonna be mad, I'd just say I find the culture interesting.  About it lol

Would you prefer Lordscott say "anime series and manga and anime and manga games like Final Fantasy but not limited to anime games like Final Fantasy from Japan and Anime"  I'll only be 'offended' by vague capsulating terms when it's backed with a straight-up malicious attitude.  I just see a rapidly derailing thread
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:43:28 pm by indenton »

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:34:04 pm »
Ive been watching anime for 20+ years. Otaku is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard. How about you just ask if you guys watch anime. I instantly stop anime convos when this term is brought up. Just sounds like and noob wannabe anime fan term.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:19:07 am »
While I'd fully consider myself a nerd and do enjoy many anime and manga, I'd never consider myself an otaku; I'm not that obsessed.

kashell

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:27:33 am »
*sigh*

"Otaku" was never intended to become a pejorative term. It used to be kind of a catch-all for someone of a certain age that lived at their parent's house in Japan. Or, depending on the context, it could have been used to refer to the home. It was also used as a term for family.

I'm not sure when, why, or how it got transformed into something that was used as putdown. Since I study the language, little things like this really irk me because they get thrown around incorrectly. Kind of like "waifu, husbando, baka, weeaboo" and the like. Granted, otaku isn't as offensive as any of those.

I find Japanese culture fascinating. I used to be a huge anime watcher, but that's been seriously toned down because I like using my free time for gaming instead of watching. I haven't read manga in years. I am adamant about going to Japan someday. That just makes me a person that is interested in Japan. I'm sure that there are people who have that same level of interest for other foreign countries.

Bee-Tee-Double-You. I'm not trying to argue; just wanted to share my thoughts.

hexen

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 11:07:52 am »

I like some anime, but no more so than any other genre. The western interpretation of Otaku, which basically seems to mean 'likes anime more than other artforms', makes little sense to me due to how varied anime is in both plot and style. The relativism of how some no-effort random slice of life show about clumsy, big-breasted waifu #164 is automatically better than western animated shows because it comes from Japan always baffled me. Despite knowing this isn't how all self-labeled Otakus feel, it is the vocal majority. I've been following One Piece for a decade for example, and it's one of my favorite stories in fiction, not as important to me as something like The Simpsons, but above other Western animation I do like a lot. I just take each individual work of animation for what it is, and not it's country of origin, something that seems counter to accepting a constricting title like Otaku. Or maybe I am just looking way to far into it and people just call themselves Otaku when they like any anime at all, like Shigi no Furtatsu Monogotari: I Ruv the Wolfgirl!! or whatever.

This is my graduate thesis on Otaku, I hope you rike it. Please 5 star, like, rate, comment, share, tweet, re-tweet and subscribe.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:31:03 am by hexen »
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 12:31:36 pm »
I recall reading that "otaku" had negative connotations because of someone who had been coined as the Otaku Murderer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku#Sub-culture

As others have said, it's a term that people are trying to embrace and celebrate more, similar to how people have embraced the term "nerd."

Anyway, I personally enjoy anime and manga but don't have a lot of time to watch/read it in addition to video games. I'll go through phases where all I want to do is read manga/watch anime, but it's usually more mainstream stuff (Ghibli, Attack on Titan, Blue Exorcist, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc.) and will only last for a few weeks at a time.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:33:35 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Flashback2012

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:33:32 pm »
How about some reverse-otaku?  ;)

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 02:03:56 pm »

Hahahha, that's pretty good. Who's comic is that? source?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 03:24:56 pm »

That's pretty awesome.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 03:39:58 pm »
If we are talking full blown wiabu, waifu body pillow, stacks of hentai, glompy, self important anime nerd, then no I am not.

With that said, I do casually enjoy some anime from time to time, I will admit that I adore Ghibli movies and various anime movies/series are among my favorite things to watch. I occassionally go to a local anime convention too, but it by no means is a lifestyle or obsession for me.