Author Topic: Great underrated newer games  (Read 3217 times)

Great underrated newer games
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:29:28 pm »
What are some of the better newer games that you feel are a little underrated that I should check out, Currently Im in Love with Rayman Origins and feel as though it hasnt really had a lot of press, I know it's on every console and has gotten good ratings but I dont think a lot of people realize how awesome it is.

desocietas

Re: Great underrated newer games
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:41:46 pm »
I didn't know that Rayman: Origins was getting so much praise until I saw it nominated at the GDC awards... That franchise has done some amazing things - I should look into one of their games, but it's too bad I'm awful at platformers...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:14:56 pm »
Mirror's Edge! I loved playing through this one and I still hope that they bring out a second one.

Stranglehold - I there isn't a lot to it but I enjoyed playing through it.

scott

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:16:52 pm »
Mirror's Edge! I loved playing through this one and I still hope that they bring out a second one.

I second that, I had a buddy show me a bunch of videos on it and I ended up preordering it. The controls are spot on, but have a decent learning curve to them. I still need to finish it, but haven't had time to go back to it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:25:51 pm »
The current generation is FILLED with great under-rated games.

Bayonetta, Vanquish, Bulletstorm, Brutal Legends, Splatterhouse, the Earth Defense Force games, Metroid Other M (the story was badly told, but that doesn't mean the gameplay wasn't fun), the Final Fantasy 13 games (that's right!), Mirror's Edge, Ghostbusters (the PS3/PC/360 version), Half-minute Hero, Recettear, Sanctum, Yar's Revenge (a sequel to the old Yars' Revenge on Atari) and a whole SLEW of downloadable games (Wizardry: LoLS, Zen/Marvel Pinball, Spelunker HD, Sonic 4 Episode 1, Tecmo Bowl Throwback, After Burner Climax, Real Steel (PSN, not iOS)... amongst others).

So much good stuff that gets ignored by the general gaming public.

amauriel

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 11:57:02 pm »
I would like to second Brutal Legends, Earth Defense Force, Ghostbusters, and Recettear. ESPECIALLY Recettear. Get it on a Steam Sale for $5 and watch the rest of your day and half that night disappear.

In addition, I'd suggest some DS games, as that's where most my time goes these days: 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, Time Hollow, Contact, and Hotel Dusk, among others. The DS allowed some companies to experiment and although some went badly, others went so, so right.

Then there's a ton of games that are on either XBLA or Steam that are good deals for the money. A fantastic example is Stacking, a Tim Schafer/ Doublefine experiment with Matryoshka Dolls (the Russian dolls that nest into bigger dolls). It was such a weird concept but I did every single thing in that game that could be found to do...then got the Lost Hobo King DLC and thoroughly enjoyed that as well. It was only XBLA but is now Steam as well. Others: Defense Grid, AudioSurf, the Bit.Trip games, and most of what Telltale makes (But especially Poker Night at the Inventory. Who cares about the actual poker game when the Heavy from TF2 and Strong Bad are having hilarious conversations?)
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

psydswipe

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:52 am »
By newer, do you mean within the last year or just this generation of consoles? My favorite PlayStation 3 game is Valkyria Chronicles which I think got decent reviews, it's just not as well known as the first-party exclusives. Valkyria is a strategy RPG with some very nice artwork. I didn't like the sequel as much but I'm not into handheld gaming and they stuck part two on the PSP. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was another game that didn't sell very good but I enjoyed it. I played that one on Xbox 360 but it's also available on PS3. The storyline is a take on the Chinese story The Journey to the West starring a character named Monkey.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »
I would say Steel Diver for the 3DS was pretty underrated when it came out. It wasn't the best game, but I would have personally given it more of a 7.5 or 8.0. Gamespot rated the game a low 4.5, blaming the game for its "minimal punishment for making a mistake", while various other reviews rated the game poorly for being too short, though I found the game great for its purpose as a submarine simulator, and loved the title screen music and credits theme.

I don't think you can rate a game poorly solely for being too short or too easy. There was more to the game when you looked for it, through the optional post-game challenges and an incentive for collecting decals.
Nintendo collector/creator and aspiring mother. ✿

blipcs76

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:14 am »
I bought Singularity on a whim because it was $5 new around Christmas time.  I'd never heard of it and took a chance.  Turns out it's a great FPS game that borrowed very heavily from Bioshock.  Very overlooked IMO.

darko

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 11:01:23 am »
Deadly Premonition anyone?

Graphics look a lot like last gen but that doesn't take away from the fun factor at all.

blipcs76

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »

Graphics look a lot like last gen but that doesn't take away from the fun factor at all.

I tried playing it and just couldn't get into it.  It's weird as hell, but the game itself is just too rough around the edges for my taste.

jcalder8

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »

I tried playing it and just couldn't get into it.  It's weird as hell, but the game itself is just too rough around the edges for my taste.
I tried to play it for about an hour and I found it almost unplayable, but I've never been a big fan of horror games.

htimreimer

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 07:17:20 pm »
to me the most underrated games is the nancy drew adventure games

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 04:46:35 pm »
Not sure if its underrated because it does have a "greatest hits" copy or what ever they callem these days but Heavy Rain http://www.heavyrainps3.com/ for the ps3 is great! The reason i put it in here is that if you don't know what it is or who the developer is you probably haven't heard much about it and haven't tried it.
"My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up."
     Setzer  FFVI

scott

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 11:10:51 am »
I've been meaning to get Heavy Rain, but always forget to look for it when I'm at stores.  :-\
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread