Author Topic: Your Gaming Winning Achievements Since the Beginning  (Read 2454 times)

thewelshman

Re: Your Gaming Winning Achievements Since the Beginning
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 09:49:43 am »
Not many!  I'd say I mastered Mario Kart 64 back in the day though, not in just game completion because that doesn't take long, but in that I could handily beat everyone I knew on 150cc.

I've gotten all the endings on Chrono Trigger and 100% completed the DS version, too, but really with RPGs it doesn't feel like a sense of "mastery" to me, just a practice in patience.  The same could be said of most JRPGs I've played, I guess, except I missed some stuff in Xenoblade Chronicles even after putting a few hundred hours into my game.  That one's rough, because if you miss just one quest in a couple spots you can't go back to it.

Okay, well I guess since me getting all of the Chrono Trigger endings at 15 without a guide wasn't impressive. I did beat Dungeons & Dragons: Tower Of Doom on an arcade box with a friend of mine with only $2 worth of coins.

...Okay, good for you, I guess?  I said that for me, I don't get a sense of mastery for most RPG accomplishments.  Fulfillment of a different sort?  Sure.  But Chrono Trigger isn't a hard game, so I don't get a sense of mastery for it.  Personally (as in, what I am saying is subjective and I am not judging you or anyone else, but since it's the Internet you assume I am, so I guess every opinion has to be prefaced with this) I get more of a sense of mastery for things that are based on skill, not just being really thorough.  I still love those games though.

Don't take offense, I was being sarcastic. I don't know what font to use to convey that, though. So it was posted all in good fun. Most RPGs/JRPGs are more of a grind than anything really. I'll see where they will give it a difficulty of an 8/10 on trophy sites, but the difficulty usually comes with getting to a level to beat a super boss or a mini-game mechanic that's not very fun. (see Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters - Does Anybody Want to Play Parcheesi?)

I wish I were a better gamer when it came to platformers, or other genres of games.

zephyria

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 08:32:24 am »
Don't take offense, I was being sarcastic. I don't know what font to use to convey that, though. So it was posted all in good fun. Most RPGs/JRPGs are more of a grind than anything really. I'll see where they will give it a difficulty of an 8/10 on trophy sites, but the difficulty usually comes with getting to a level to beat a super boss or a mini-game mechanic that's not very fun. (see Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters - Does Anybody Want to Play Parcheesi?)

I wish I were a better gamer when it came to platformers, or other genres of games.

Sorry about that; it's really hard to read sarcasm over just text.  ;D 

I don't know what they'd give it a rating like that unless it's just based on the number of people who have accomplished that, I guess?

I'm not all that great at games any more either.  As I get older I just like to enjoy them when I get the time to play.  I've become a filthy casual at this point, but who cares?

thewelshman

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 02:26:13 pm »

Sorry about that; it's really hard to read sarcasm over just text.  ;D 

I don't know what they'd give it a rating like that unless it's just based on the number of people who have accomplished that, I guess?

I'm not all that great at games any more either.  As I get older I just like to enjoy them when I get the time to play.  I've become a filthy casual at this point, but who cares?

Yeah, I apologize, I've had more than enough texting misunderstandings. So I just wanted to clear things up. No use having any tension on a board that's supposed to be enjoyable and informative.

Going by PSNProfiles, playstationtrophies.org, and like minded sites they generally rate it on how difficult it is to get a trophy and/or how long it would take to complete. So JRPGs/RPGs are usually deemed difficult due to 100s of hours that are needed to be put into playing to they them. Where games like Super Meat Boy, and Titan Souls are just hard games. others are due to having to complete a game with 0 deaths, like Killzone: Shadow Fall, Shovel Knight, and, once again, Super Meat Boy.

I'm with you, I'm older now so my gaming time is more limited than it used to be. I want to play something that won't have me ripping out my already thin hair. Plus, I'm a huge nerd, so I love my RPGs.