Author Topic: Favourite Licensed Soundtracks?  (Read 1605 times)

insettasport

Favourite Licensed Soundtracks?
« on: May 20, 2017, 01:27:30 am »
I was wondering what other users' favourite licensed video game soundtracks are. By licensed, I mean songs that are by real-world bands. So no games like Grand Theft Auto 1 with it's made-for-game bands and no games like Sonic the Hedgehog with it's composed soundtrack. Soundtracks have either of the above and licensed songs such as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Burnout Paradise are eligible.

My personal favourites, in no particular order would be Crazy Taxi [Dreamcast NA], Burnout 3: Takedown [PS2 NA], Tony Hawk's Underground 2 [PS2 NA], Grand Theft Auto: Vice City [PS2 NA], Need for Speed: Underground [PS2 NA], Saints Row 2 [X360 NA], Grand Theft Auto V [PS4 NA], FlatOut [PS2 NA], FlatOut 2 [PS2 NA], Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories [PS2 NA], MotorStorm [PS3 NA], Stuntman Ignition [PS3 NA], PGR 2 [Xbox NA] and Need for Speed: ProStreet [PS3 NA].

Also, I am new to using forums on websites, so constructive criticism is welcomed. :)

Re: Favourite Licensed Soundtracks?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:01:38 am »
Hmm... real-world song in video games, i listen to a lot of game soundtracks but almost all of them are composed for the game, i mostly listen to J-RPG soundtracks after all so that's a pretty difficult question for me but there is still one song that always come back into my mind, i think that's the only song i listened to it on repeat each time i was playing Burnout 3 (and i put a lot of hours into that game): Lazy Generation (The Fups). A few other song comes into my mind now that i start writing this post, those songs are from the recent Fallout games: Big Iron (Marty Robbins), The Wanderer (Dion), I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire (The Ink Spots) and Civilization (Andrews Sisters & Danny Kaye).

Also, I am new to using forums on websites, so constructive criticism is welcomed. :)

Welcome on VGCollect  ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:44:15 am by metshael »

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:55:27 am »
Brutal Legend.  For me, there will never be a game with as good of a licensed soundtrack than this.  This is likely a once in a lifetime thing, because it's 107 songs of pure metal glory.  I absolutely love this game.

There's of course some "classics" that are familiar to people, like the PS2 era Grand Theft Auto games (I didn't like what the soundtracks became with 4 and 5), and for me I loved the first few Tony Hawk games, as I was introduced to a lot of punk bands because of them.

hexen

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:13:45 am »
Hmmm... I guess I'd have to say Fallout 3. Most games using licensed music tend to be... an attempt to be hip (I.E. Tony Hawk) and it doesn't keep fresh for very long. Fallout games and their period music tend to set the mood a lot better, and I also just like the style of older music. In that vain, GTA: Vice City uses it's music well, again setting the period (I also like 80's music a lot more then modern music, so there is that too).
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 07:24:09 am »
Fallout or gta san andreas

ferraroso

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 11:07:04 am »
I could think of dozens of very good soundtracks here, but, for me, it would be almost unfair to compare them with GTA: Vice City's. As much as I like the music of the Crazy Taxi, and Tony Hawk series, for me, Vice City has not only the best licensed soundtrack, but one of the best soundtracks overall! Especially for an 80's kid like me.

telly

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 08:45:26 pm »
Mine has to be the Ace Combat 5 OST. I love this soundtrack and listen to it all the time.

Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 03:44:52 am »
The Grand Turismo series has always had an awesome soundtrack for all their games.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 08:12:28 am »
I wouldn't say it's my favorite, but I've always liked the uniqueness of the Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 soundtrack.  I found a lot of interesting bands that to this day I never would've found without that game.  Buzzhorn, Pulse Ultra (subsequently Rise Electric and Rockstar Supernova), Hot Action Cop, etc.

kashell

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 08:12:40 am »
GTA Vice City. I'm not a fan of the series, but Vice City's music is spot on since I love all things 80's.

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 10:27:25 am »
I prefer OST that are not made up of a bunch of artists' songs.

telly

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:26 am »
I also really love the SSX3 soundtrack if we wanna go with music from bands
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 10:52:02 am »
My favorite licensed soundtracks would be THPS, San Andreas, and Vice City.