Author Topic: Have you ever sold/traded a game that you wish you didn't?  (Read 6360 times)

Re: Have you ever sold/traded a game that you wish you didn't?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 09:52:20 am »
I can't honestly think of anything.  Old cart stuff was generally considered community property so I still have everything from my childhood.  It wasn't until PS1/PS2 that I started trading stuff... and I don't think I traded anything valuable.

I certainly regret NOT selling Marvel Vs Capcom 2 when it was worth like $90.

I know I sold/traded a friend a 3DS way below retail because I got it cheap and he turned around and sold it for retail about a week or two later.  A friend of mine sold him a copy of Ocarina 3DS for pretty cheap right before it spiked, once it spiked he turned around and sold it for like $100 or something crazy.  Soured both of us, he doesn't get deals from either of us anymore.

telly

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 10:56:55 am »
I never sold any of my games, but there have been games that I have lost. I lost all of my GBC games, and LoZ A Link to the Past on GBA, for example. My brother sold a lot of his games, and so there are a couple  that I would like to play again some day.
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 01:17:05 pm »
The death and return of superman megadrive cib excellent shape

For fair value but still while it was an amazing deal for the stuff I kept with a nice profit, it's always a shame to sell of a nice item. Tough decisions.

A pretty good game but also quite rare and valuable in Pal land. If it was only rare I didn't care but It's an interesting game.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:58:45 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 02:03:01 pm »
I traded my R.O.B. from when I was a kid for a CIB copy of Star Wars for the NES.  I was collecting Star Wars stuff and ROB didn't mean that much to me. 
Well, you'll be happy to hear that I have reacquired my Robotic Operating Buddy; and he's in my game room. 

Another mistake that I made was with my brother.  When we got a little older, we split our community of games.  I took the NES games.  He took the SNES games.  I got all the Marios and Castlevanias.  He got Earthbound, Final Fantasy 2 & 3, Mario RPG, and a cock-ton of other cool stuff. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 02:51:56 pm »
I would sell ROB in a heartbeat. He's just a this little toy novelty thing, doesn't really add to your gaming, at all. And it goes for so much now, that I could use that money for games/systems I'd actually play.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 03:29:42 pm »
I would sell ROB in a heartbeat. He's just a this little toy novelty thing, doesn't really add to your gaming, at all. And it goes for so much now, that I could use that money for games/systems I'd actually play.

It was my ROB that was part of my Deluxe Set from the Christmas of 1987.  I had to get it back and I had to keep it. 

shepard11

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:29 pm »

It was my ROB that was part of my Deluxe Set from the Christmas of 1987.  I had to get it back and I had to keep it.

I really want a ROB but those prices...keeps him at bay. Maybe once I close on this damn house I'll say screw it and just bite the bullet and buy one.

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 12:45:58 pm »
Didn't sell it but I regret that our copy of Sunset Riders from back in the day ended up with my brother's stuff (even though we originally got the game from my friend). Now it's an expensive game for some reason.

I sold a few PS2 sports games that I regretted just because they were given to me as gifts, and I don't feel right about selling that kind of stuff.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 02:02:39 pm »
Didn't sell it but I regret that our copy of Sunset Riders from back in the day ended up with my brother's stuff (even though we originally got the game from my friend). Now it's an expensive game for some reason.

For some reason expensive  ???

It's a run and gun game, many people collect for this specific genre and not to many of such games around, old school cowboy western again not many of such old school good cowboy games around, Snes version is a solid arcade port.

Gameplay and grapics are excellent and defenitely not as common as most good games, furthermore more people now know about this great game. It's not really a suprise in my opinion. The only reason why it was cheap in the past is because for allot of people the game was not known.

Ps2 and ps1 still have allot of hidden gems wich are cheap, so if only people would stop creating those hidden gem video's prices will stay low for those uncommon excellent yet still cheap games. Not talking about hidden gems on forums would also help since I have seen many games rise in price thanks to only that for ps1 and ps2 consoles.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:18:15 pm by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 10:59:58 am »

It's a run and gun game, many people collect for this specific genre and not to many of such games around, old school cowboy western again not many of such old school good cowboy games around, Snes version is a solid arcade port.

Gameplay and grapics are excellent and defenitely not as common as most good games, furthermore more people now know about this great game. It's not really a suprise in my opinion. The only reason why it was cheap in the past is because for allot of people the game was not known.

Ps2 and ps1 still have allot of hidden gems wich are cheap, so if only people would stop creating those hidden gem video's prices will stay low for those uncommon excellent yet still cheap games. Not talking about hidden gems on forums would also help since I have seen many games rise in price thanks to only that for ps1 and ps2 consoles.

Being a good game doesn't necessarily mean it will become expensive, as in $100 expensive. Like for example, look how expensive Earthbound is. It must be the best game on the SNES right? Not exactly. Well, it must be really rare then? Nope. It's just expensive because.... reasons.

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 11:32:16 am »
Honestly, I wish I hadn't sold any of them.

kevininja

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 04:40:56 pm »
Thankfully not.

Well maybe, I sold a few Wii games (de Blob 1 and 2 and Ghost Squad) I had years ago but they're pretty common so I could always re-buy them.

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 04:42:11 pm »

Being a good game doesn't necessarily mean it will become expensive, as in $100 expensive. Like for example, look how expensive Earthbound is. It must be the best game on the SNES right? Not exactly. Well, it must be really rare then? Nope. It's just expensive because.... reasons.

It's not a common game, your lucky if you come across one in a lot in Europe or the US. That in combination with it being a great game and it being known by many people make a game expensive.

It's harder to find than copies of dK country 1 to 3 super mario kart and many other great games and not even by a little but by allot.

Super mario world might be one of the better games yet you will easily find one in pretty much every lot. There are far more super mario world carts to supply the demand wich keep the prices normal, yet if a sunset riders cart appear many people are looking for one while there are few. Less carts to supply demand.

Hard to find and in demand, A game does not need to be very rare to become expensive It's already hard to find as it is. There are only very few games wich are rare, and many games wich are not rare can be hard to find. and than you have cib stuff wich is even less supply.

Earthbound is not easy to find. If it truly wasn't hard to find just uncommon? I'd like to ask if you have found one or many copies in the wild already?

Panzer dragoon saga in The US 500+ $ pretty rare yet so many on ebay why?

The only reason why you see many copies of earthbound or other expensive games are online is because it is valuable people want to sell it or need to get rid of it, if it was worth far less, allot less people would bother to try to sell and scalp them. the only reason why one sees so many copies people hoard them copies there is allot of demand and the games are not easy to find from new sources.

Supply demand, and how great a game is affects prices. Sunsetriders is far harder to find than many other great snes games It's no suprise why it is more expensive than most games.

Expensive games have a higher chance to get back in circulation, People need money in hard times and sell them to resellers or just on the open market.

Also in my opinion sunset riders is one of the best games on the snes. Definitely in the top 20 games for Snes. I cannot imagine this game not being in the top tier games for snes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:23:54 pm by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 05:58:01 pm »

It's not a common game, your lucky if you come across one in a lot in Europe or the US. That in combination with it being a great game and it being known by many people make a game expensive.

It's harder to find than copies of dK country 1 to 3 super mario kart and many other great games and not even by a little but by allot.

Super mario world might be one of the better games yet you will easily find one in pretty much every lot. There are far more super mario world carts to supply the demand wich keep the prices normal, yet if a sunset riders cart appear many people are looking for one while there are few. Less carts to supply demand.

Hard to find and in demand, A game does not need to be very rare to become expensive It's already hard to find as it is. There are only very few games wich are rare, and many games wich are not rare can be hard to find. and than you have cib stuff wich is even less supply.

Earthbound is not easy to find. If it truly wasn't hard to find just uncommon? I'd like to ask if you have found one or many copies in the wild already?

The only reason why you see many copies of earthbound or other expensive games are online is because it is valuable people want to sell it or need to get rid of it, if it was worth far less, allot less people would bother to try to sell and scalp them. the only reason why one sees so many copies people hoard them copies there is allot of demand and the games are not easy to find from new sources.

Supply demand, and how great a game is affects prices. Sunsetriders is far harder to find than many other great snes games It's no suprise why it is more expensive than most games.

Expensive games have a higher chance to get back in circulation, People need money in hard times and sell them to resellers or just on the open market.

Also in my opinion sunset riders is one of the best games on the snes. Definitely in the top 20 games for Snes. I cannot imagine this game not being in the top tier games for snes.

I've found one copy of Earthbound in the wild and it was maybe $2, but I told my brother he could have it since we both found it. I've seen it in countless game stores, and every convention I go to most of the vendors have one. EB is always pretty high in availability, but the price is a deterrent. Probably one of the most flippable SNES items, since most people found it for a few dollars and sell it for a ton online.

I think the price is artificially high, and it may have to do with the original MSRP being $80-90 due to the included guide book. Retail stores probably didn't drop the used price a whole lot, and so the notion that it was worth significantly more than a standard SNES game lingered over until collecting took off. On eBay, usually the sale price of a CIB copy influences the value of a loose copy, and with the complete one going so high, the price was inflated to seem like a good chuck of that value was just the game itself. Really, a CIB EarthBound is a bit different and lot less common than most other complete games, so that reasoning is quite skewed. IMHO, the game should be sub $100 and never should have been going for $200 loose back in the late 2000s like it was.

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 06:09:11 pm »

I've found one copy of Earthbound in the wild and it was maybe $2, but I told my brother he could have it since we both found it. I've seen it in countless game stores, and every convention I go to most of the vendors have one. EB is always pretty high in availability, but the price is a deterrent. Probably one of the most flippable SNES items, since most people found it for a few dollars and sell it for a ton online.

I think the price is artificially high, and it may have to do with the original MSRP being $80-90 due to the included guide book. Retail stores probably didn't drop the used price a whole lot, and so the notion that it was worth significantly more than a standard SNES game lingered over until collecting took off. On eBay, usually the sale price of a CIB copy influences the value of a loose copy, and with the complete one going so high, the price was inflated to seem like a good chuck of that value was just the game itself. Really, a CIB EarthBound is a bit different and lot less common than most other complete games, so that reasoning is quite skewed. IMHO, the game should be sub $100 and never should have been going for $200 loose back in the late 2000s like it was.

I always thought Earthbound had a very strong fanbase wich made the prices sky rocket at one time far after It's original release.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:11:16 pm by sworddude »