Poll

Pick which you think we should do

Put the item as the Front_Art, leave Back_Art and Cart_Art blank
11 (52.4%)
Put front of item in Front_Art, back of item in Back_Art, other view in Cart_Art
4 (19%)
Put item as Cart_Art and leave Front_Art and Back_Art blank
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 10:56:48 am

Author Topic: Style Guide Poll #1: Front image for items without packaging  (Read 2059 times)

tripredacus

This is the first poll for updates to the style guide. It will not accept votes after 7 days.
Unless you are 100% sure, make sure to read the thread first before voting, as someone may put a thought or idea that may change your mind.

We allow pack-in items and unofficial/boots, unreleased (but official) releases to be entries in the database, but there is no consensus for how the images should be displayed. This usually results in many entries that have no front or back art and the item can only have the picture in the cart image, or it has multiple images for Front/Back/Cart of the same thing, or just has the item as the front image, etc.

Existing examples:

Bayonetta, Wii U, pack-in as an additional disc with Bayonetta 2:
https://vgcollect.com/item/80602

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty trial, PS2, included with Zone of Enders:
https://vgcollect.com/item/30070

188 in 1, NES bootleg cart:
https://vgcollect.com/item/15579

Car License, Game Gear cart-only:
https://vgcollect.com/item/93829

To submit ideas for future polls, post them into here: https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8361.0.html

If discussion permits further evaluation in the future, we can revisit this topic again.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: Style Guide Poll #1: Front image for items without packaging
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 02:00:03 pm »
Option D, put cart on front and cart space.

https://vgcollect.com/item/54700

So you have a picture in your collection. And if someone has a box they can add the front and back scan, overwriting the front scan afcourse.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:01:53 pm »
I think the better response, which is more work, yes, but likely the right thing to do... is that if an item does not have "Front Art" the display should default, next, to the "Cart" image.

If no image is available for either, then whatever, keep displaying the no image available.

telly

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:17:50 am »
I think the better response, which is more work, yes, but likely the right thing to do... is that if an item does not have "Front Art" the display should default, next, to the "Cart" image.

If no image is available for either, then whatever, keep displaying the no image available.

That was the option that I would lean toward as well
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:09:35 am »

So you have a picture in your collection. And if someone has a box they can add the front and back scan, overwriting the front scan afcourse.

No, this is an error  ;D

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:50:37 am »

I thought the style guide said to use the title screen if nothing else is available
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 01:57:26 pm »

No, this is an error  ;D

No vote from me then.......

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 02:46:18 pm »

I thought the style guide said to use the title screen if nothing else is available

That is only for Digital games.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:03:13 am »

That is only for Digital games.
Couldn't that be a viable option though?

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 09:33:01 am »
How can it apply to physical items? If there is a physical item, then there must exist an image of it. This isn't to say we should use a title screen as an image for a physical item that is rare or hard to find pictures of, such as some Korean releases.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 09:47:45 am »
How can it apply to physical items? If there is a physical item, then there must exist an image of it. This isn't to say we should use a title screen as an image for a physical item that is rare or hard to find pictures of, such as some Korean releases.
I meant to say, couldn't the screenshot be a valid option for the "Front Art" of a game that is considered Cart/Disk only?  I understand that it isn't technically "front art", but if no box exists, and the cart art shouldn't go in the "Front art" section, couldn't the title screen be a valid replacement for the front art?

My statement still stands on the whole display cart image when front art image doesn't exist.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 10:45:38 am »
I don't think that title screenshot should be a primary at all for a physical item.

Ideally, I would prefer that title screenshot be added as an additional image slot, and that users can decide which image is the primary shown when viewing their collection or perhaps even the site itself. Such a setting would only apply to the choice of the user, while the site default would be like it is now. Or perhaps this would be something that only Pro users could do.

aliensstudios

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 11:54:27 am »
I don't think that title screenshot should be a primary at all for a physical item.

Ideally, I would prefer that title screenshot be added as an additional image slot, and that users can decide which image is the primary shown when viewing their collection or perhaps even the site itself. Such a setting would only apply to the choice of the user, while the site default would be like it is now. Or perhaps this would be something that only Pro users could do.
https://vgcollect.com/item/13473
This is a physical item that has the title screen as the front artwork. Probably would have been a good thing to include in the "existing examples"
So, this should have the cart art as the front artwork then?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 12:12:10 pm »
Well that is what the poll will tell us. This is about Front Artwork either being "No Art" or the loose item. Nothing about screenshots being front art instead. Screenshots are only currently allowed to be front art for Digital Games if no store/logo can be found. It is unrelated to that question at hand, as when the poll closes, whichever is what the community wants will be added to the Style Guide.

And then, a screenshot as front art would be incorrect and should be removed in either case.
If you want this screenshot usage to be brought up in the future, make a reply about it into the thread in Site Feedback.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 12:59:21 pm »
Well that is what the poll will tell us. This is about Front Artwork either being "No Art" or the loose item. Nothing about screenshots being front art instead. Screenshots are only currently allowed to be front art for Digital Games if no store/logo can be found. It is unrelated to that question at hand, as when the poll closes, whichever is what the community wants will be added to the Style Guide.

And then, a screenshot as front art would be incorrect and should be removed in either case.
If you want this screenshot usage to be brought up in the future, make a reply about it into the thread in Site Feedback.
I think what was being stated is directly related to the question at hand.  The question regards "Front image for items without packaging".  What is being discussed is exactly that.

What I'm hearing now, I guess is, let the users decide, as long as it is among the option we give them.  Really, the whole process should be to bring up a topic of change, asking for input and possible solutions, and then once all solutions have been provided, then have a vote.

With how the site is currently set up (No default to cart/disc without front art, no choice of what is default, etc.) I'd pick to have screenshot as front art over the other 3 options for items without packaging.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:01:28 pm by ignition365 »