Author Topic: Your Favorite Console Hook Up Wires AV vs HDMI or RGB  (Read 1130 times)

Your Favorite Console Hook Up Wires AV vs HDMI or RGB
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:16 am »
well in short story I love the AV hook ups on consoles rather then HDMI because image quality does not matter with myself, it's the heat buildup that the HDMI ports produce that makes me wounder why so many people use them, and it is rareity and all the extra cord ramble jamble makes me wounder why RGB is also more popular then AV. I mean you can hook AV to pretty much anything at least the new AV cables you can hook them up to a sterio see tutorial on my facebook page

i HAVE A CRT BUT THAT'S JUST ME ::)

HOW TO SETUP A SONY PS3 ANY KIND TO A STERIO SYSTEM  (IGNORE THE MESS I LIVE IN A CROWDED IN THE FIRST COUPLE PICTURES)
https://www.facebook.com/AspersimGamer/photos/pcb.188753421661669/188752208328457/?type=3
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:44:33 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Your Favorite Console Hook Up Wires AV vs HDMI or RGB
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:00:34 am »
Simply put, alot of people prefer the image quality provided by HDMI inputs considering thats what they were built for plus its been well over a decade since CRTs became obsolete and yes they work better with retro consoles and even sixth gen consoles were built for CRTs but from Gen 7 and on, HDMI became the standard and also consider that the single cable as oppose to the 3 cable inputs was something that people saw and thought that this make hooking up a console or even a Blu-Ray player much more simple since 1 cable provides the audio necessary and an image quality far beyond what the AV cables can provide.

Besides, games now would look odd on a CRT TV since they werent built for those. I remember back when the 360 came out and how people who were still playing on their CRTs complained about the text being too small which was true but as I said, they were built around HDMI and even though in Gen 7 you had AV options for 360 and PS3, Gen 8 ditched it for HDMI only and thats where we stand today.

Now to answer your question, AV no doubt works well for retro consoles. I have a CRT specific for them while anything HDMI is on by HDTV. Cant comment on RGB as I never used it.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:02:42 am »
I had to finally ditch my CRT from the modern consoles  :( . I always preferred the screen look over LCD. It was the last Sony HD CRT that was made, but it only went up to 1080i. The PS4 and Xbox One would always send the signal at 720P. No matter how much I tweaked the settings on both console and TV, it would always cut the mini map or menu screens from the corners, making most games unplayable.

For the older consoles with RCA's, I plug the video cord into the green component input and it works just fine (not sure if this is proper 8)). Never noticed any heat coming off the HDMI cords when I use those though.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:45:28 am »
. Never noticed any heat coming off the HDMI cords when I use those though.

well the AV cord also gets hot but the SONY PS3 gets even hotter while using  HDMI input. I own a super slim

there are options on all PS3's to change the setting to use the AV instead of HDMI and make the text fit any type of television. just go to "Video Options" and explore "Game Options" and "System Options" panel to see all the different things you could do with a SONY PS3. I know how to hook my PS3 to using a HDMI and also AV properly. It's all about changing the default settings.

For example if you want to use AV instead of HDMI or other way around then you're gonna have to hold the PS3's power button down until it beeps 3 times in order to reset it to get a picture just like I said in the Facebook tutorial
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:59:41 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:05:06 pm »
My favorite hookup that I have done is connecting my PS3 to a 9" CRT TV:

brazbit

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 02:12:57 pm »
Fork type RF connector. Get out the butter knife and loosen the screws on the TV, slip the connector under the screw and tighten them back up. Repeat each time you want to use the console and if the connectors come off just strip the wires back with your teeth, twist the copper together and wrap it around the screw. There was no stopping this connector.

Not the most convenient of connectors but it taught me at an early age not to fear electronics or computers, a lesson that lead to a career in IT. Of course looking back on it now, I have no idea why my parents would have let me do any of that but it was just the thing to do in the early 80s until we got cable ready TVs and didn't have to do this any longer.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use it today unless absolutely necessary, but that doesn't prevent it from being my favorite. :)

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 02:56:32 pm »
. Never noticed any heat coming off the HDMI cords when I use those though.

there are options on all PS3's to change the setting to use the AV instead of HDMI and make the text fit any type of television. just go to "Video Options" and explore "Game Options" and "System Options" panel to see all the different things you could do with a SONY PS3. I know how to hook my PS3 to using a HDMI and also AV properly. It's all about changing the default settings.

For example if you want to use AV instead of HDMI or other way around then you're gonna have to hold the PS3's power button down until it beeps 3 times in order to reset it to get a picture just like I said in the Facebook tutorial

The PS3 and the Xbox 360 never had display issues for me. It was the PS4 and Xbox One that made me swap it out. I have the launch PS3. I didn't notice any heat coming off the HDMI cord. Maybe it's the system itself getting hot?

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:38:22 pm »
The PS3 and the Xbox 360 never had display issues for me. It was the PS4 and Xbox One that made me swap it out. I have the launch PS3. I didn't notice any heat coming off the HDMI cord. Maybe it's the system itself getting hot?

Do you use Wi-FI or broadband connection. Not sure but that may or may not cause heat buildup as well. But trust me @betelgeuse that HDMI cord may not make it hot on the outside like my super slim but it should make a difference when using it period on the internal heat in the old ps3. As I recall the old PS3's are far more powerful (not sure) but I know they allow you to play PS2 games
(keep reading)
 and oh boy never run a PS2 game in HDMI. First off the machine needs to convert the images into HDMI in which originally the PS2 never did that. I heard a ton of people complain and it's always  a PS2 game that overheats the PS3 fats. hmmm, :-\ I think that HDMI should never be used at least while playing a PS2 game in an old PS3 unless you've got the proper ventilating or a fan attached. On the PS3 super slim there are vents all over plus I don't use the full cover because my used PS3 never came with proper covering.

I use AV all the time now because I know it puts less pressure on the chips on the inside of my PS3. and there is no dust inside of it either.

model 250 gig super slim (the better super slim) that allows you to play all PS1 games and an entire CD collection. just for sake reasons I upgraded mine to 500gig to hold more music.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:42:01 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:08:04 pm »
Never really used the PS3 for playing ps2 games. The cut scenes never loaded properly when playing. I always got a black screen with just audio until the video caught up. Really took away from the game.