Poll

How should we handle retail game and gift cards?

Put Game card into physical game category, other types into swag
0 (0%)
Put all cards into swag category
0 (0%)
Create a new category to put cards like this
7 (63.6%)
This item should not be in the database at this time
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 07, 2017, 11:41:13 am

Author Topic: Style Guide Poll #2: Retail game and gift cards  (Read 1060 times)

tripredacus

Style Guide Poll #2: Retail game and gift cards
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:41:13 am »
This is the second poll for updates to the style guide. It will not accept votes after 7 days.
Unless you are 100% sure, make sure to read the thread first before voting, as someone may put a thought or idea that may change your mind. You cannot change your vote and you can only see results once you vote.

This time we talk about retail game cards, gift cards or things like that.

We are going to consider these types:
- Currency cards (Steam, PSN, Xbox, etc)
- Retail game cards (Minecraft, League of Legends, Fallout 4 Season Pass, etc)
- Other type of store cards that are video game or game store related (ie GameStop gift cards, etc)

It is not about cards that can come inside of a game as a pack-in bonus, or those used with Japanese arcade machines, or code cards that are inside of game boxes like DLC or digital games that have physical box but no software such as Child of Light.

Currently, some of these types of cards are in the database but are in various locations. For example, someone added this Fallout card to the database and it is in the Xbox One category.
https://vgcollect.com/item/131174
This one item has brought the conversation.

To submit ideas for future polls, post them into here: https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8361.0.html

If discussion permits further evaluation in the future, we can revisit this topic again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:43:02 am by tripredacus »

rayne315

Re: Style Guide Poll #2: Retail game and gift cards
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:54:24 am »
so let me get this staright. this is not asking about physical download codes for the complete game. this is asking about season passes, money for micro-transactions, item unlock code, all on physical code cards bought at places like gamestop/walmart/bestbuy?
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:45:50 am »
honestly what I would do is to place them into their respective non physical categories. for an example of what I mean by this is using your example https://vgcollect.com/item/131174 should be placed into the Xbox Live (XbOne) [NA] category and the title of the game should be renamed to "Fallout Season Pass - Physical Code Card" or something to that effect. this can include things like full game download code cards, DLC code cards, or things like a GTA 5 cash card.

or we should create another sub-category in each respective platform for these physical code cards.

Xbox Live:
          Kinect Fun Labs
          Xbox Games Store (X360) [EU]
          Xbox Games Store (X360) [JP]
          Xbox Games Store (X360) [NA]
          Xbox Live (XbOne) [EU]
          Xbox Live (XbOne) [NA]
          Xbox Live Code Cards (XbOne) [NA]
          Xbox Live Code Cards (XbOne) [EU]
          Xbox Live Code Cards (XbOne) [JP]

either way these cards should NOT be placed in the same categories as physical game discs.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:52:49 am by rayne315 »

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 10:55:40 am »
Well the physical item shouldn't be put into the digital category, which is why it wasn't a poll choice. The content/game/DLC/whatever that the code on the card unlocks should be in the digital category.

Like for example, if you purchase the Minecraft card you can download the Minecraft game. The Minecraft game is in PC Digital Downloads, but you wouldn't put the card in there because it is a physical item.
https://vgcollect.com/item/20827

The card itself is a collectible for sure, so where should the card go?
Myself personally, I save all the cards I have ever got or bought, and this poll result doesn't effect me at all because I won't be putting them into my collection here. But people collect in different ways, so there should be the option for people to keep track of what they want.

PS: For the category breakdown you put, if we get the poll results that say "new category" then I think just one could be made at first because there isn't a ton of these cards in the db currently. Then as it is required, it could be split up into categories like you put, as more of these are put in. We can judge how many users care about tracking these items by seeing how many are put into the db or collections. If it is a super small minority of users who care about them, then the amount in that section would show it and whether we would need to go about to add additional categories. And then in that case, those could be requested in the "Platform" Request thread.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:59:08 am by tripredacus »

rayne315

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 11:08:54 am »
I understand where you are coming from since it is a physical representation of a digital only item. on the other hand it is not the physical game so by the same logic the first choice posted "Put Game card into physical game category, other types into swag" also does not belong on the polling list because as stated it is not the physical game and will never be. its a card that holds the digital only unlock code for something and once that code is used it is then just useless cardboard essentially. (I understand the collectability to some people as I collect the pokemon event code cards)

EDIT:

PS: For the category breakdown you put, if we get the poll results that say "new category" then I think just one could be made at first because there isn't a ton of these cards in the db currently. Then as it is required, it could be split up into categories like you put, as more of these are put in. We can judge how many users care about tracking these items by seeing how many are put into the db or collections. If it is a super small minority of users who care about them, then the amount in that section would show it and whether we would need to go about to add additional categories. And then in that case, those could be requested in the "Platform" Request thread.

understandable, I was just including them to help get across that these cards are not just NA regioned
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:14:45 am by rayne315 »

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 11:34:23 am »
I understand where you are coming from since it is a physical representation of a digital only item. on the other hand it is not the physical game so by the same logic the first choice posted "Put Game card into physical game category, other types into swag" also does not belong on the polling list because as stated it is not the physical game and will never be.

Yeah that was different than the discussed option which didn't mention "other types" because other types (like a Gamestop card) is impossible to categorize into a specific platform. But it is just a choice and maybe someone wants to pick it. I didn't pick that choice myself either.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 11:16:55 am »
Vote results show we should make a new category for these cards.