Author Topic: October 2017 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 11914 times)

telly

Re: October 2017 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2017, 12:57:26 pm »
I haven't made any purchases in the month of October, but my copy of Undertale from fangamer came in today. Buying one game from them was leagues better than anything LRG has ever put out.

And they don't screw you with miniscule print runs either ;)
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2017, 04:38:51 pm »

Einhander!  Sweet!  Most underrated shooter ever.  I really wish I wouldn't of sold mine 10 years ago.  :(

I'm of the opposite belief.

I feel like Einhander is praised so heavily because it is one of a few shooters on the PS, probably the most famous one, and also it was published by Squaresoft which was a god-tier publisher in the 90s. The game itself is fairly imbalanced and clunky at times. It is very cool looking and stylish, but like many mediocre or bad shooters, it's main fault is its gameplay. It isn't terrible, just okay imo. I tried getting into this game, but just couldn't so I ended up selling it.

sworddude

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2017, 04:47:06 pm »

Einhander!  Sweet!  Most underrated shooter ever.  I really wish I wouldn't of sold mine 10 years ago.  :(

Maybe in the past, but many people talk about it so I would not say that it is underrated at least not anymore. I would have loved that this game was actually underrated wich means not many people have played it wich results in very low prices to get this game.

In my believe it is actually one of the most hyped shoot em ups on the ps1 no questions asked, also as a shoot em up in general it will be mentioned definitely not underrated in the slightest.

Still though for the hyped game that it is 80$ is not to high could have been far worse.

@bikinghatjun

Maybe the gameplay is mediocre but I think It's just very different compared to other shooters, obviously there are some who do not like this play style thanks to it being different but with some games you have to get into them before they can be enjoyable. Sometimes controls and mechanics are a bit difficult so that's also a thing that can put people off.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:34:12 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2017, 05:31:18 pm »

Maybe in the past, but many people talk about it so I would not say that it is under rated at least not anymore. I would have loved that this game was actually underrated wich means not many people have played it wich results in very low prices to get this game.

In my believe it is one of the most hyped shoot em ups on the ps1 no questions asked, also as a shoot em up in general it will be mentioned definitely not under rated in the slightest.

Still though for the hyped game that it is 80$ is not to high could have been far worse.

@bikinghatjun

Maybe the gameplay is mediocre but I think It's just very different compared to other shooters, obviously there are some who do not like this play style thanks to it being different

But with some games you have get into them before they can be enjoyable. Sometimes controls and mechanics are a bit difficult so that's also a thing that can put people off.

I've collectively played the game 10+ hours over years, with at least half of that being the last time I tried really getting into it. The game is difficult, sure, that is to be expected, but its difficulty is not always by design. For their first attempt at a shooter it was a good effort and as I said, the game looks cool and I really like the style of the ships and levels, but I found it incredibly frustrating at times due to these gameplay issues. Games like Ikaruga, Dodonpachi, Battle Garegga and Radiant Silvergun are hard as hell, but their difficulty is masterfully designed to where no matter how hard it is, it is always fair. 

sworddude

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2017, 05:42:46 pm »

Maybe in the past, but many people talk about it so I would not say that it is under rated at least not anymore. I would have loved that this game was actually underrated wich means not many people have played it wich results in very low prices to get this game.

In my believe it is one of the most hyped shoot em ups on the ps1 no questions asked, also as a shoot em up in general it will be mentioned definitely not under rated in the slightest.

@bikinghatjun

Maybe the gameplay is mediocre but I think It's just very different compared to other shooters, obviously there are some who do not like this play style thanks to it being different

But with some games you have get into them before they can be enjoyable. Sometimes controls and mechanics are a bit difficult so that's also a thing that can put people off.

I've collectively played the game 10+ hours over years, with at least half of that being the last time I tried really getting into it. The game is difficult, sure, that is to be expected, but its difficulty is not always by design. For their first attempt at a shooter it was a good effort and as I said, the game looks cool and I really like the style of the ships and levels, but I found it incredibly frustrating at times due to these gameplay issues. Games like Ikaruga, Dodonpachi, Battle Garegga and Radiant Silvergun are hard as hell, but their difficulty is masterfully designed to where no matter how hard it is, it is always fair.

I see

Well to be fair in many shoot em ups you have to memorize certain parts of a level save spots for bosses etc. It's the only way to beat allot of shoot em ups.

Bullets wich go to fast to dodge unless you know before hand, being at a certain area in game wich is already to late when you realise it

It's unfair unless you know what you have to do, shoot em ups in a nut shell.

Not for all but for many  also in allot of good ones.

Besides certain parts in ikaruga are pretty merciless especially with those moving pillars and enemies at the same time

Than again never played the game yet so maybe I'll see it's flaws when I ever aquire one.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:54:48 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2017, 05:43:26 pm »
I don't know about all that jazz, I just enjoyed playing it before all the hype as I bought it brand new when it came out.  I don't really care about game hype, I just play what I like.  :)

Flashback2012

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2017, 06:41:44 pm »
So a search for cheap tealight candles on Saturday ended up with me lucking into a SNES Classic.  ;D

I was in charge of some kiddos over the weekend and decided to drop by an outlet mall that had a Disney Outlet in it. I found this cool Jack Skellington skull that you could put candles in to illuminate for only $5. We ventured over to Target and couldn't find any reasonably priced tealight candles but I did find a discounted Yooka-Laylee for $20. Swung by Meijer which was down the road and not only did I find my cheap candles, we wandered into their electronics section and there was a lone SNES Classic just sitting in the case. I called the attendant over and when she went to ring me up for it, she applied a special coupon that expired that night which took $15 off the total.  ;D

The only other notable pick-ups over the weekend were Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja 4 on PS2 for $10 and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm on PS3 for $5 (also got TimeShift for $5 as well).

Now I need to find another one of those HORI Wireless Fighting Commander Pads. They were all over and have suddenly all disappeared.  :-\

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2017, 07:03:28 pm »
I played the hell out of the demo of Einhander for years. So to finally have it in my collection is amazing. Has nothing to do with hype.

spac316

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »
Just came back from the Portland Retro Gaming Expo 2017! I got a lot of goodies out of it, but I'm just gonna post pics since I don't feel like writing them all down, lol!
entire haul
wrestling games

Trinkets
DVD autographed by Howard Scott Warshaw and Gaming Historian vol1 signed by Norm himself!
PSP games
TMNT HSH is missing the book sadly, but I'm glad to find it for that price.

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:51 am »
My goodies from Portland Retro Gaming Expo, my first gaming expo! (It was awesome.)

Einhander (PS1) and Lunar the Silver Star Complete (PS1) are two from my "Holy Grails" list, so that is awesome. Strike Gunner (SNES) & Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Master System) have been on my wishlist for far too long, so it's cool to see those get knocked off, too. The others are ones I got cheap there.

The book is by Brett Weiss, who was there, and signed the inside cover, as well as the copy of the 1989-1990 Edition I also owned and took with me to get signed.

The booklet in the upper corner is the program guide/contents of the event, and the badge below that. Up top is a free bag that they gave you.

So many awesome pick ups! Willow has a soft spot in my heart. One of my favorite movies of all time. And to think I’ve never played the game! Now I need to have it!

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2017, 10:12:22 am »

TMNT HSH is missing the book sadly, but I'm glad to find it for that price.

Wow, I didn't realize Power Stone 2 had shot up in price so much! I know it has always been on the expensive side, but last time I saw a copy in the store (like 2-years ago) it was a $50 game. Really cool game though, still prefer the firth one though.

tripredacus

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2017, 10:27:43 am »
Even the first Power Stone is up there. I thought I would do myself a service of getting just the jewel case and then pick up the loose disc later for cheap. Except that hasn't quite worked out as I planned...  :'(

sworddude

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2017, 10:40:43 am »
Even the first Power Stone is up there. I thought I would do myself a service of getting just the jewel case and then pick up the loose disc later for cheap. Except that hasn't quite worked out as I planned...  :'(

While some might think that disc only are worthless and nothing like carts only for the presentation

Times have chanced and disc only for the better games sell for a nice amount sometimes even 50% or more also for the more pricy games.

Worthless games disc only are worthless but than again that is expected.

I'm not suprised since disc only is first of all really hard to find, usually it is at least boxed. discs without boxes will probably damage unless you would put it in another case.

Furthermore you also have buyers who need replacement discs and yea, a box and manual without a game has allot less value and obviously not playable. I'm pretty sure that especially these groups of people keep the price for disc only games high.

Also a minor group who collect disc only because it is cheap(er) but that's a small group.

Good luck man finding a disc only will be a tough challenge if you want to get one for cheap.

On a positive note since value of disc only games are worth a nice amount you will find more lose discs on ebay of the better games since it is worth the effort.

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2017, 12:01:50 pm »

I've never deliberately bought a disk or case only in order to piece it together, but I have found one or the other for certain hard to find games because it seemed like possibly the only route of ever owning them, at least for cheap. I found Vanguard Bandits at a flea market a few years ago, but it was missing the game disk, but had everything else, including the Lunar 2 demo. I brought this to the seller's attention and he sold me the case, manual and demo for a buck. I ended up actually finding a loose disk for it at a game store for $20 about a year later so ended up getting the whole game for $21. So yeah, sometimes it works out.

tripredacus

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2017, 12:25:08 pm »
I used to not, but I do buy empty cases now. Usually only if I am in person (like thrift or flea market) or in a lot on ebay, or if I need one for a game that is unruly to keep loose.

Then there are times I buy them on accident, as I had found from many years of buying boxed computer games... going through them now, sometimes they are missing some discs.