Author Topic: Mario Odyssey Discussion!  (Read 4550 times)

Re: Mario Odyssey Discussion!
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 02:40:03 am »
I try to avoid spoilers but I noticed there seem to be a lot of moons to collect in the game.

This makes me excited and I wonder if like the main series Pokémon games I'll feel determined to try and 100% it.
Nintendo collector/creator and aspiring mother. ✿

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 08:57:52 am »
I've never been much of an Amiibo person.  Shovel Knight and 30th Anniversary Mario are the only ones I went out of my way to get.

But, after the huge pain in my ass that the purple coins have been (kept getting to 47/50 or 92/100), I went out and got wedding Bowser.  Got the missing coins in minutes.

Also, volleyball and jumprope can go to hell.

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 12:21:09 pm »
I was really hoping for the best May-rio game yet, but all I did was get my hopes up. For those who wanted a Mario 64, that's pretty much what you got with some minor improvements here and there.
To me Mario should be about pure platforming which is why I prefer Galaxy 2 and 3D World. Much like the 8 and 16 bit games, the main point is simply to get to the end of level and move on.
64, Sunshine and Odyssey focuses on doing a plethora medial tasks in sandbox environments in order to unlock the next area where you just do more of the same. You do have the occasional absract level floating in a void, but for the most part you're catching rabbits, ground-pounding glowy spots, and running to a star before time runs out.
This in my opinion this is just a copout. Instead of doing a bunch of creative levels, they make these large simple environments you just run around in completing meaningless tasks.
To me this just isn't as exciting or interesting as completing a multitude of well constructed levels. By having more levels the designers are able to experiment and in the end have more variety.
After explaining this I think you can understand why I find it funny when people bunch Super Mario 64 in with the rest of the original/main line of Super Mario games. It's fundimentally different in design and technology.
Even though some people straight up dismiss 3D World/Land as a part of the "main" line of games, I would argue they have more in common with the originals than 64 and Odessey do. Hell, they even brought back the flagpole for Pete sakes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:46:31 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 04:33:51 pm »
I was really hoping for the best May-rio game yet, but all I did was get my hopes up. For those wanted a Mario 64, that's pretty much what you got with some minor improvements here and there.
To me Mario should be about pure platforming which is why I prefer Galaxy 2 and 3D World. Much like the 8 and 16 bit games, the main point is simply to get to the end of level and move on.
64, Sunshine and Odyssey focuses on doing a plethora medial tasks in sandbox environments in order to unlock the next area where you just do more of the same. You do have the occasional absract level floating in a void, but for the most part you're catching rabbits, ground-pounding glowy spots, and running to a star before time runs out.
This in my opinion this is just a copout. Instead of doing a bunch of creative levels, they make these large simple environments you just run around in completing meaningless tasks.
To me this just isn't as exciting or interesting as completing a multitude of well constructed levels. By having more levels the designers are able to experiment and in the end have more variety.
After explaining this I think you can understand why I find it funny when people bunch Super Mario 64 in with the rest of the original/main line of Super Mario games. It's fundimentally different in design and technology.
Even though some people straight up dismiss 3D World/Land as a part of the "main" line of games, I would argue they have more in common with the originals than 64 and Odessey do. Hell, they even brought back the flagpole for Pete sakes.

I agree with alot of this too :).   I found the moons to be a little too repetitive and in general the game could get mundane at times and over simplified.  The moons repated in each level with catching the rabbit, the slots, the timed coins, racing the koopa.  I loved the exploration and creativity with the outfits, how you spend your coins and the odyssey flying between worlds but it always felt like the boss battles which repeated twice were more of the same and lacked variety and all around it was very easy even for a Mario game.  I wish their would have been less moons but more substance behind them maybe even plots behind each one like little story lines to go down like 64 and sunshine had. It's still a masterpiece imo for it's exploration and sheer depth of moons but it definitely has it's gripes.  I'm hoping the intensity picks up with dark and darker side levels.  Because the bosses and the game in general could be beaten by a blindfolded fetus fresh from the womb.  :D.   Even for a Mario game it lacks that challenge aspect that makes it rewarding.  But the pros certainly outweigh the cons.   

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:01:01 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 05:02:42 pm »
For me, being less like classic Mario is what I wanted more than anything, which is why I love Odyssey lol There are too many moons, should've cut them in half, but still my favorite Mario game ever.

desocietas

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 01:05:24 pm »
I've only played as Cappy in co-op mode, and I just have to say that this is the most Mario I've played since Super Mario Bros on the NES (outside of Paper Mario: TTYD). I know some folks feel like this isn't anything new for the series (and in many ways, a step back), but I think the co-op feature is handled well for those of us who are not good at Mario games. It's also very charming, IMO, and it's hard not to smile when you get to "capture" an enemy character and walk around solving puzzles.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

aliensstudios

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 09:46:55 pm »

I was scanning Amiibo just to see what they did and it turns out the Bowser figure will show you where the purple coins are! He has has been a Godsend.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

pacpix

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 01:41:01 pm »
I've only played as Cappy in co-op mode, and I just have to say that this is the most Mario I've played since Super Mario Bros on the NES (outside of Paper Mario: TTYD). I know some folks feel like this isn't anything new for the series (and in many ways, a step back), but I think the co-op feature is handled well for those of us who are not good at Mario games. It's also very charming, IMO, and it's hard not to smile when you get to "capture" an enemy character and walk around solving puzzles.

The co-op mode was definitely handled well.  I went home to visit this weekend and my youngest sister really enjoyed playing as Cappy as she struggled with trying to play as Mario.  It's a lot more interactive than just having the second player collect star bits in Galaxy as well.

She keeps calling Cappy "Mappy" though lol  ;D
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

athmaus

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:15 am »
Really enjoyed the game, i have gotten about 500 Moons thus far and just beat the game.  The new stuff is a pain.

I still can't do the 100 jump rope or the 100 volleyball yet. Really annoyed

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 02:50:43 pm »
Really enjoyed the game, i have gotten about 500 Moons thus far and just beat the game.  The new stuff is a pain.

I still can't do the 100 jump rope or the 100 volleyball yet. Really annoyed

There's a trick that has to do with using co-op to play as just Cappy and hit the volleyball more easily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLtGxzrrHK8

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 05:33:21 pm »
I finished the main story yesterday and now I find myself in a minor pickle. First, let me start by saying I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent in the game, but I did feel that it was a little short and not at all difficult; I was really hoping there would be just a little more to it. I know there are still tons of moons to find and more kingdoms to explore, but I find myself unsure if I want to jump back into the game and put more time into it just to see those few extra levels when I could be spending that time playing one of my hundreds of other games in my collection that I've never touched. I've got Persona 5 and Metroid Fusion up next in my backlog... so I think I'm leaning toward those. Anyone else feel the same?

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 07:58:25 am »
I finished the main story yesterday and now I find myself in a minor pickle. First, let me start by saying I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent in the game, but I did feel that it was a little short and not at all difficult; I was really hoping there would be just a little more to it. I know there are still tons of moons to find and more kingdoms to explore, but I find myself unsure if I want to jump back into the game and put more time into it just to see those few extra levels when I could be spending that time playing one of my hundreds of other games in my collection that I've never touched. I've got Persona 5 and Metroid Fusion up next in my backlog... so I think I'm leaning toward those. Anyone else feel the same?
Work your way to Darker Side.  The difficultly there is worth it.

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 02:06:08 pm »
Work your way to Darker Side.  The difficultly there is worth it.

Maybe ill just play it casually here and there, i guess i dont have to devote 100% of my game time to just Mario

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 03:31:18 pm »
You can pretty casually and easily unlock the last of the levels.  You only need 500 moons I believe, so grabbing a few every day isn't so bad as kinda just a chill thing to do.  I took a break for abit from Mario after getting burnt out trying to be the final level lol

aliensstudios

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:06 pm »
Just finished that frigging 100 jump jump roping challenge. That took forever.

"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."