Author Topic: New guy  (Read 5391 times)

New guy
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:33:28 pm »
Hey everyone. I'm the new guy. Think this site is pretty sweet.

I collect a lot of PS1 / SNES RPGS / SRPG. Fire Emblem has to be my favorite SRPG ever. Just got Tactics Ogre for PS1, PSP, pretty excited about that.

My collection here: http://vgcollect.com/george

Thanks! Look forward to meeting everyone.
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk - have at you!

Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 12:34:08 pm »
Forgot to mention, I'm also one of the few people who collects strategy guides. I have a pretty decent collection that I'll update on my page soon.

soera

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:37:18 pm »
I like the way your collection sounds. Ive never been able to get into the sRPG ... I prefer jRPG. But semantics, its still RPGS :)

As far as guides, take a look at mine. I got a nice PS1 guide collection.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:44:45 pm »
I like the way your collection sounds. Ive never been able to get into the sRPG ... I prefer jRPG. But semantics, its still RPGS :)

As far as guides, take a look at mine. I got a nice PS1 guide collection.

Nice! Looks like we got similar taste.

scott

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 12:45:23 pm »
Welcome new guy!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:50 pm »
Welcome george! I look forward to being jealous of your strat guide collection ha.

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 02:17:26 pm »
Welcome to the site george. Great looking collection thus far, I can't wait to see it once you've inputting everything.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »
I'm new too! What an exciting world this is.
Bayleef Forever.

darko

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 02:08:06 pm »
I collect guides as well. Nice to see someone out there is as crazy as I am!

Maybe you'll inspire me to get the rest of mine on here.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:44:16 pm »
Welcome, new guy!  Wonder if we'll ever get around to remembering your actual name ;)

This does bring up a question I've always wondered: why do people buy game guides?

I've never bought them myself, and if I'm really stuck, I look things up on GameFAQs.  But I'm sure there's another appeal to them that I haven't figured out yet and wonder if I should be thinking about adding them to my collection or not.

Is it the art? the maps? general collectability?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 02:51:01 pm »
When I started playing (I think Im probably one of the oldest on the site) internet searching wasnt even a possibility. You either had to figure it out on your own ... or get a guide. Or pay Nintendo/Sega by the minute for a phone call.

Guides to me are part of the complete package for the games I play. Its like the accessories people put on cars. Not necessary for it to work but it looks a hell of a lot better than without it!

jcalder8

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 02:53:10 pm »
Just so everyone knows there is an intro thread here: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,78.0.html

As for guides I only buy them if they are cheap but I love looking through the pictures and reading about the game in general. I think I have more guides for games that I don't own than ones that I do.

nova1977, welcome to the site!

scott

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 02:56:40 pm »
I'm with sorea. When I started gaming I would buy code books for cheats etc. And only a few games I would buy the guides for. I think the first guide I ever got was the one from Nintendo Power for SMB3.

Eventually I would buy guides for the maps or locations of hidden items.

I buy the guide for every new main series Pokemon game, because they list what mons are located where and I only use them when I get to each area to check for new ones. Then after I beat the story I go back thru for the more secret stuffs.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:38:20 pm by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 02:57:20 pm »
Just so everyone knows there is an intro thread here: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,78.0.html
nova1977, welcome to the site!

Oh yes, welcome nova1977!

(and thanks for the reminder to all about the intro thread  ;) )
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jcalder8

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 02:59:15 pm »
I buy the guide for every new main series Pokemon game, because they list what mons are located where and I only use them when I get to each area to check for new ones.
I misread this but it would be a pretty awesome game if you could find "moms" to use in each area :D