Author Topic: Kickstarter craze  (Read 11373 times)

desocietas

Re: Kickstarter craze
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:06 pm »
Oh, wow, the Kickstarter page wasn't live when I first posted the Kotaku link.  But yeah, those are some pretty wimpy "support" rewards for folks who can only spare a few bucks.

Woot, an email?  Kickstarter sends you free automatic emails anyway whenever the group who set up the Kickstarter sends out an update.

I'm not gonna complain about the $59 option for a physical-only copy of the game - that's fine by me.  Not a big fan of downloading games, and $59 for any sort of game that comes with some goodies is a pretty good deal.  I mean, I paid $80 for Catherine's pizza box and boxer shorts (that I will never be able to wear even if I wanted to).  And they do say that the game is approximately $49 with $10 shipping.  Which sounds a bit steep to me, but hey, it happens.

To add on to the Kickstarter queries:
- you don't get charged until both the campaign is over and the project has reached its goal amount (I've sponsored a few less successful art kickstarters and was never charged when the campaign ended)
- you're always welcome to go back and change your pledge amount (and reward separately) if the campaign hasn't ended yet
- after pledging an amount, you'll get emails from the Kickstarter group regarding any sort of changes to the rewards or other updates

But yes, I agree that $500,000 is a bit much.  It'd be one thing if they wanted to get the game out (as that is usually the case with videogame Kickstarters), but the whole thing smells a little pretentious whether they intended that or not.  I mean, Double Fine only wanted $400,000 but you could get the game and give input on its production for as little as $15.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

ffxik

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 05:11:08 am »
Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the Working Designs games. But, wasn't Working Designs infamous for also mistranslating games and sometimes blatantly changing things around? I know that's what they did with Shining Wisdom anyway. Personally I love jrpgs, but I don't love when publishers tamper with the product. Translate it, release it Stateside and don't mess with the developer's artwork. If you want to change the story around, develop your own games.

Unfortunately that is true.  Shining Wisdom and Lunar 2 for the Sega CD come to mind.  Lunar 2 had a magic EXP system that allowed you to boost spells by throwing EXP earned in battle into the spell.  So how do you make a game more difficult, tie the save option into that system.  Do I spend my magic exp on this new spell that could really help in this fight, or do I spend it to save my game so I don't lose 3 hours worth of grinding?  I absolutely hated that.  WD were bad about that during their early years.  The PSX and PS2 they pretty much left things alone.

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »
Looks like they heard from the comments and changed things up a bit: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1272149684/class-of-heroes-2-deluxe-for-the-psp-system/posts

I think they're still failing to hear out the folks are want to back the project but don't need a physical copy of the game - just a downloadable version.

That would seem obvious to me, but maybe they don't want to stray from their original intention, which seems to be more about creating a "bad ass collectors' set" than about getting a game made.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 04:02:51 pm »
That would seem obvious to me, but maybe they don't want to stray from their original intention, which seems to be more about creating a "bad ass collectors' set" than about getting a game made.
And that's my big problem with this. Some of us want a game, not trinkets.

Also, those "mistranslations" weren't really mistranslations, more like excessive tampering by the script editors.

scott

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 04:17:56 pm »
Ya that's why I added the "blatantly changing", cause I wasn't 100% sure if it was poor translation, or tampering.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 09:49:54 pm »
I am a huge fan of Working Designs.  They did frequently change the translations of their games and did a wonderful job.  I don't know how many JRPGs I've played where the Japanese humor was completely lost on me.  If you pledge money to the project, it does not come out until the kickstarter end date (April 27th in this case).  If the goal was reached then they take the money and you receive whatever you pledged for.  If they do not make their goal then they do not take the money.  I just finished pledging and I hope Gaijinworks can be successful.

Working designs did not fail because of the extras they included in their games.  They failed because of burned bridges with Sega and Sony management  (both of which have proven time and time again how bad they are).  For example after years of working on the Arc the Lad Collection, Sony made Working Designs package all the games into a single product.  Working Designs was unable to re-coup their loses from that game.

Now i'm going to laugh my way through the wonderfully translated Albert Odyssey.

ffxik

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 10:02:41 pm »
I am a huge fan of Working Designs.  They did frequently change the translations of their games and did a wonderful job.  I don't know how many JRPGs I've played where the Japanese humor was completely lost on me.  If you pledge money to the project, it does not come out until the kickstarter end date (April 27th in this case).  If the goal was reached then they take the money and you receive whatever you pledged for.  If they do not make their goal then they do not take the money.  I just finished pledging and I hope Gaijinworks can be successful.

Working designs did not fail because of the extras they included in their games.  They failed because of burned bridges with Sega and Sony management  (both of which have proven time and time again how bad they are).  For example after years of working on the Arc the Lad Collection, Sony made Working Designs package all the games into a single product.  Working Designs was unable to re-coup their loses from that game.

Now i'm going to laugh my way through the wonderfully translated Albert Odyssey.

Sony also forced their hand with Growlanser II & III they were supposed to be seprate, but instead got rolled into Growlanser Generations.

foxhack

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 02:30:53 pm »
Now they want 75 extra grand to put Japanese voices in the game.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Look, I get that licensing fees are high, but seriously!?

desocietas

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 02:35:03 pm »

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Look, I get that licensing fees are high, but seriously!?

That's pretty funny, right?  It's funny, because the more they update, the more I reconsider and think, "Wait, they want my money to release an English version of a GAME THAT'S ALREADY MADE?"

And the amount they're asking for is more than the amount of money Double Fine was asking to make a game completely from scratch (and will have feedback throughout the process from its backers)?

Also funny that they excitedly posted a mention from Kotaku, and at the end of the Kotaku article, the author says they don't think it'll get fully funded by the end of the time period.  My bad, that was Banner Saga that mentioned that they were mentioned by Kotaku, who are quite supportive of their efforts (as they've already passed their asking amount).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:42:21 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

jobocan

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 02:36:31 pm »

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Look, I get that licensing fees are high, but that's just DISGUSTING.

Yeah, that confuses me.... isn't the game already coming out in digital format with japanese voices? Why would we have to donate more for japanese voices then?
I'm heavily thinking about not backing this now... The deeper it goes the dumber it gets. I'll just get the downloadable version when/if it ends up happening. This kickstarter is gonna fail, and the people behind this are making sure it does, it seems.

Also... why are they still saying that Class of Heroes is a JRPG when it's quite clearly a WRPG?

foxhack

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 03:48:21 pm »
Yeah, that confuses me.... isn't the game already coming out in digital format with japanese voices? Why would we have to donate more for japanese voices then?
They still have to pay the original voice actors and whatever union they have backing them payment. Royalties.

But I don't think it'd be 75 grand.

jobocan

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 03:53:53 pm »
They still have to pay the original voice actors and whatever union they have backing them payment. Royalties.

But I don't think it'd be 75 grand.

Ah, so the downloadable version we're getting anyways is gonna be text-only then? Bah, guess that's fine too.

75k does seem fairly standard to get those rights, japanese voice actors are not cheap :P

foxhack

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 01:28:33 am »

scott

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 08:42:27 am »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 11:29:52 am »
Now THIS is a Kickstarter I can get behind!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1451923705/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again

Ha, love the title of that campaign.  They still got it.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas