Author Topic: Kickstarter craze  (Read 11235 times)

scott

Re: Kickstarter craze
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 10:13:20 am »
The Behemoth has a kickstarter going on right now for their new Necromancer figurine. I decided to back it, since I love both Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers. Check it out, I wonder if anyone is going to pledge the high end.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thebehemoth/castle-crashers-necromancer-figurine
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 06:29:58 pm »
This one is super tempting. The Castle Crashers are some of my favorite video game merchandise, and rounding out the collection was one of the first things I did at PAX East this year. However, it's a little pricey when the Crashers are only $20 each. Hmmm, what to do...
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

scott

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 09:17:49 pm »
Not to sell you on it. But apparently the necromancer is much bigger. I haven't seen a scale difference tho. But they can have my money if they keep marking awesome games.

jcalder8

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »
I would consuder it if shipping to Canada wasn't so expensive

desocietas

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 07:55:29 pm »
They finally give the proper dimensions and scale for your convenience!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thebehemoth/castle-crashers-necromancer-figurine/posts/257341
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 08:22:23 pm »
Ya, I just saw the email from Kickstarter about it. It's so bad ass.

jobocan

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 03:46:54 pm »
Here's one that took off running:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console?ref=category

And by took off running, I mean that, when I checked it 3 hours ago, it was just above 100000$, and now it's almost at its goal.
It's for that new android-powered game console where all the games are apparently going to be free... I really don't know what to think of this, but I do kinda want to pick it up for curiosity's sake.... They're going SUPER fast though, it's crazy.

matt

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 04:02:36 pm »
Here's one that took off running:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console?ref=category

And by took off running, I mean that, when I checked it 3 hours ago, it was just above 100000$, and now it's almost at its goal.
It's for that new android-powered game console where all the games are apparently going to be free... I really don't know what to think of this, but I do kinda want to pick it up for curiosity's sake.... They're going SUPER fast though, it's crazy.

Good lord. Yeah I saw this earlier today and they had like $50k.

I actually think this thing is a great idea. The quality of Android games has really taken off lately.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:09:02 pm by matt »

jobocan

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 04:11:56 pm »
I actually think this thing is a great idea. The quality of Android games has really taken off lately.

It has? I'll be honest, the only mobile games I play are Kairosoft games.

Yeah, since they're going so fast (241 left as of this post) I just secured a "pre-order", just in case I decide to go for it (so I have 29 days to decide :P)... Again though, it's just because I'm curious, not really because I'm excited for the idea. Kinda like why I bought a Rasperry Pi computer (can't wait for that to get shipped).

*EDIT*
So they increased the available quantity now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:14:30 pm by jobocan »

matt

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 04:14:48 pm »
The $ amount goes up every time I reload the page. ha.

They are at $845,284 as of 4:14pm EST.

jobocan

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 04:19:31 pm »
Looking at some of the more expensive options, specifically the 699$ and 1337$ options, I think it may be worth it for devs since your game would end up being advertised for a whole year... They'd probably be able to end up getting more than their money back with that.

*EDIT*
And, looking at this:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

This will probably end up becoming the most stupidly high funded thing ever on kickstarter.

*ANOTHER EDIT*

And, in less than 24 hours (around 16 I think, maybe less), it passed its goal of ALMOST A MILLION.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:59:40 pm by jobocan »

desocietas

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 05:10:15 pm »
Crazy!  Ok, I hopped on the bandwagon for the $99 pledge... very tempting to get two engraved controllers, but if this thing goes bust, I don't want to lose that kind of money.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 05:25:57 pm »
Neat idea, but I think I'll pass. 99% of the Android marketplace doesn't interest me in the slightest.

matt

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 05:38:06 pm »
Neat idea, but I think I'll pass. 99% of the Android marketplace doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Things are changing quickly though. This time last year I would have said the same things, outside of a few "toilet games". But now there is some real quality to be found. Just check out the top list here:

http://www.gamespot.com/android/games.html?games=popular

Lots of good stuff there. It's a great market to indie devs and honestly due to XBLA, most of the games I've played lately have been from small indie companies.

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 06:06:59 pm »
I was reading about the Ouya this morning on Joystiq.  I really like the idea of it... an open, unlocked device means lots of options.  This could make an excellent HTPC... without all the format limitations forced on us by MS and Sony.  It will support easy emulation.  I hope some serious developers decide to get behind this, I'm over MS and Sony thinking they can treat us anyway they like and we'll still buy their crap.  I'm very surprised they've hit their goal on day 1, good for them!