Author Topic: 2018 Gaming Resolutions  (Read 2048 times)

2018 Gaming Resolutions
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:49:47 am »
Before you know it 2018 will be upon us and it's time for us all to lay out what our video game related goals are here. Whether they revolve around collecting, playing or some combo of both, let us know what you have in store for 2018 as it relates to your love of gaming.

Here are mine:

- Update my collection on here. My collection on this site has not been accurate for a very long time and I'd like to know what games I still own and which ones I no longer do. To a lessor extent I also want to go through my collection so I can determine which games I've purged that I'd like to reacquire. I don't imagine that this list will exceed 50 games, but I know off the top of my head that there are a few games I'd like to have back in my collection.

- Participate in the 52-games challenge; funny enough this challenge has become my favorite thing about VGcollect since it has been a huge motivator to play the games in my collection more often. However, I did say participate, not complete. 2018 is looking to be an incredibly eventful year in my personal life so playing video games will have to come after and in between these major events. I guess I beat more than enough games this year to make up for not completely the challenge next year if it comes to that.

- Work on downsizing my collection some more; this goal might seem counter intuitive in light of my first goal, but where the difference lies is that some of the games that I sold off were ones that I didn't necessarily want to sell, but did because I needed the money for a variety of major expenses and emergencies. The games that I will be selling will likely be ones that I play and decide they are not worth keeping in my collection either because I didn't like them or their value to fun factor ratio doesn't quite add up.

- Replay my old top 10 games; this is a leftover from this year which is something I started to do earlier in the year, but it fell by the wayside for a variety of reasons. I want to replay all the games in my old top ten list which has barely changed in the past decade, with the exception of Breath of the Wild. I will be playing the following games and re-ranking them in light of many other excellent games I've played over the past few years:

1. Shenmue and Shenmue II (Dreamcast)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
4. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
5. Half Life 2 (PC)
6. Super Mario 64 (N64)
7. Zone of the Enders (PS2)
8. Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)
9. Resident Evil (Gamecube)
10. Perfect Dark (N64)

- Build my import collection. Probably the most enthusiastic I've been about collecting for at least the past year and a half has involved collecting import games for various consoles. I think the thing that is exciting is that many of these games I have just recently found out about for the first time and it has been fun obtaining them and seeing what all the fuss is about. I am going to set a goal of obtaining 10 new imports between now and the end of next year.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:52:46 am by bikingjahuty »

kashell

Re: 2018 Gaming Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 11:53:09 am »
Hmm...

1. I want to do more pruning. There are games I have that will not be played, lack any nostalgic value, or a combination of the two. They take up space. Someone else might enjoy them.

2. Replay more games. I have a laundry list of games that I'd like to replay. Off the top of my head, there's Panzer Dragoon Saga, Final Fantasy IV, Legend of Mana, Secret of Mana 2, and SaGa Frontier.

3. Take a dent out of the import games. I want to finish Romancing SaGa, Romancing SaGa 2, and Ys V.

4. Finish the trophies for games that are manageable. Darksiders, Way of the Samurai 3, etc.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 11:55:30 am »
Some goals for me.

1) Stay under 6000 games. Failed
2) Participate in 52 game challenge, but I'm going to be super busy next year, so no plans to beat 104 again.  Matter of fact, no plans to beat 52.  My plans are to play longer more involved games and fewer short games.
3) Continue selling dupes to knock down wishlist.
4) Get under 10 games left on N64 full set. (17 games left) 10 games left
5) Reinventory collection
6) Log magazines and guides
7) Take game room pics.
8) Play through the Yakuza franchise. Main Franchise completed.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:35:22 am by ignition365 »

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 02:48:12 pm »
This doesn't usually ever work out for me.

- Play half as many games as I acquire. Not beat, but just play for maybe an hour. Yeah, that's how bad I am still.

- Actually participate in the 52 games challenge instead of just saying I'm going to.

- "Complete" my game hunting for at least one platform.

- Acquire a Switch and play catch-up on the interesting titles.

- Acquire a One X and play catch-up on any interesting exclusive titles.

- Not meet my goals.

I'm always good at failing to meet goals, so I'll always get that one done.

thewelshman

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 03:08:25 pm »
 - Not be so hung up on platinuming a game and actually playing, enjoying, and just beating it.
 - Beat more games
 - Play more games than I buy
 - Participate in the 52 game challenge

I've completed Tales of Xillia, Tales of Hearts R, and am playing Tales of Berseria, but I would love to finally put a dent in all of the other Tales games that I own. Would also love to finish Trails in the Sky SC, and 3rd.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:39:46 pm »
I usually set goals for things I'd like to buy but end up varying and buying other things.  I forget my resolutions from last year. I might go back to see if I met them even though I forgot them. :)

Here are some of my plans for 2018 :D

1. Expand my gaming room into a second room so space is no longer a factor.
2. Finish getting every black label Nintendo NES games (Excitebike, Tennis, Golf ect...) 
3. Buy a Famicom and Super Famicom

Pretty modest goals, I don't want to set them too high this time :).

Hope everyone has a great and prosperous 2018.

soera

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:48 pm »
I am at a point where I really dont have too many goals left. But I do have some highlights Id like to accomplish.

1) Pick up the missing consoles I want. Monster Hunter: World Liolaeus Edition, Star Wars Battlefront II so far.

2) Continue my controller collection. Gran Turismo, Midnight blue, Sunset Orange, the 2 consoles above

3) Keep on the path to reach 1000 titles. Im nearing 600 (570 at the time of this post).

I also have another goal that is a bit different.

4) Work for Sony. My ideal job would be a Playstation rep or at one of the newer companies that are putting out physical games (LRG, SRG, SLG, Soedesco, etc).

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:36:22 pm »
This is a neat Idea :) here's my resolutions:

1) Complete my pokemon Main-series game collection
2) Reach 10,000 views on my let's play channel
3 repair/restore my older consoles.

azure

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 12:40:34 am »
This could be fun:

1. Complete my NA Shin Megami Tensei collection, only missing 2 games.
2. Keep up with my Switch collection, meaning, finishing the games and avoiding a heavy backlog.
3. Keep my overall trophy percentage at 70% or above.
4. Get more shelving to properly display my collection.

That's about it I would say.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 01:36:47 am »
1. Buy less as my purchase to play ratio is getting out of hand
2. Not so much beat but try out what I have just to see what is out there that I have
3. Join the 52 game topic thing. I have done something like this on my own in past years however this year was unfavorable to me
4. Rid of games I know I wont keep. I have few pickups I want to get to however I know after, they wont stay.
5. Do some replays of games I like from my past as I havent done so in a long time.

Unless something else comes to mind, I think this is what I have.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 04:20:50 pm »
My main goal for this year is to finish games I start. Its kinda of a joke with my friends that I never finish any games I buy so I want to turn that around. I started in May of actually finishing a few things and ended up with 8 games finished for 2017. I would live to try to do 12 next year; one game a month. We'll see how well i stick to that.

rayne315

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 06:15:21 pm »
alright here goes.

1. Beat more games in 2018 than I did in 2017.
2. Keep up on LRG releases (only missing 3 total games)
3. continue playing playstation palooza. (a feeble attempt at beating every NA released ps2 game)
4. get a new computer so I can record more gameplay to youtube.
5. start on/finish my rotating hand held display case.
6. save money by not buying as many games.
7. beat enough ps+ games to not have 3 hard drives filled with them.
8. find a game that works for my launch model vita (back touch screen capable)
9. get at least 5 platinum trophies/ 10 if Nintendo makes an achievement system (5 of psn, 5 of Nintendo)

non-gaming related

10. find another Macronix stock (if I do I will post it and will be 4/5ths the way to retirement.... at 25...) (deffinately not going to be macronix level but Atari might spike with its upcoming console)
11. learn enough about coding to be able to make a very shitty game. (even just having a block move on a background to inputs will do)
12. don't loose my ass on bitcoin/crypto currencies (I finally broke down and bought a small amount. first off fuck the outrageous fees. second knowing me I will continue putting money into it if it does well and when the bubble bursts will loose a significant portion of money) (bright side is im up 50% already)
13. update my security system.
14. Enjoy my marriage in July and every day afterwards!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:19:24 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

davifus

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 06:29:53 pm »
1. Updating my collection. Its probably been out of date for over a year or more at this point.

2. I made progress on the 52 games but slowly but surely kind of fell out of it. I'll try my best to finish more than 2017.

3. The though of downsizing my collection has been lingering in my mind for almost 2 years now. I guess im just scared. I dont know why but I'm starting feel like collecting has become an obsession to a certain degree [Trying to buy all the limited runs/collector/limited edition at launch day and I justify it by "I wont have to pay scalper price later along the road" but the moment i get it I put it on the shelf and occasionally glance at it and appreciate it from afar.]. I have been getting better at it by not buying everything LRG pushes out. A youtuber Aerodynamisch a few years back did this, and I though he was incredibly strong for it.

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

shfan

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 07:20:48 pm »
2017 has been the year from hell, many big things have happened and had to be dealt with, I've emerged from it wiser, stronger and more aware of where I'm going in life, also - it's damn near croaked me. My 52 game challenge hasn't been a success, but starting the end of February life should start to get easier. So:

- Touch-up decorating in new game room.
- Buy and install large cabinet for game room.
- Move strategy guides, 360, PS3 and PS2 games into new cabinet.
- Beat the 52 game challenge this year.
- Weed out more dead wood from the collection, it's great to have a backlog of games to try out, but there's only so many in predictable genres like FPS that I need, swap em for different stuff.
- As finances allow, buy strategy guides that are wanted for collection - Nintendo games, RPGs and survival horrors in particular.
- Re-arrange older games that are being stored at the parents' place.

Any more imports or older titles and PS4/Vita limited edition games would be a bonus.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 08:31:08 am »

10. find another Macronix stock (if I do I will post it and will be 4/5ths the way to retirement.... at 25...)
12. don't loose my ass on bitcoin/crypto currencies (I finally broke down and bought a small amount. first off fuck the outrageous fees. second knowing me I will continue putting money into it if it does well and when the bubble bursts will loose a significant portion of money) (bright side is im up 50% already)
13. update my security system.
These are things that resonate with me.  I want to get into investing.  I want to put more into cryptocurrencies.  I put in $80 over a year ago and now it's worth $1,500.  I wish I had put in so much more.

I bought a security system, but I haven't put it up yet.