Author Topic: PS4/X1/Switch Physical releases that are the entire and finished game...  (Read 2201 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

So it occurred to me today that I can’t think of a single physical game this generation where the physical version is “final and complete.”

By final and complete I mean doesn’t have any kind of required update to be downloaded and installed beyond what’s on the disc.

Are you aware of any physical games released this generation that are final and complete?

I think remakes and compilations come the closest. But even many of those have lots of patches for performance/etc.

Warmsignal

Re: PS4/X1/Switch Physical releases that are the entire and finished game...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 01:51:48 pm »
Do the updates come on the disc? What if you don't have internet? What about Switch games? Mario Odyssey, is it complete?

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 01:55:44 pm »
Do the updates come on the disc? What if you don't have internet? What about Switch games? Mario Odyssey, is it complete?

If the updates themselves are on the disk I would count them as complete. If the game installs to the harddrive from the disk I would still count them as complete.

If any internet download is required I would not count it as complete.

If dlc is optional but only available via internet download and necessary to make the story complete or make sense I would not count it as complete.

I don’t have Mario Odessey yet. Maybe TPugmire or Turf can chime in.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:58:53 pm by dashv »

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 02:52:13 pm »
I mean, there is a difference between patching bugs and adding content. a lot of games are complete but just get bug fixes and patches.

Or am I missing something here?
Currently Playing
Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, Persona 3/4/5

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 03:24:02 pm »
I don't really see the logic here.

Every game in existence comes out with a few bugs or problems here and there, the difference is just that nowadays we have a way of fixing those issues

I'm aware of the whole "releasing a broken game and then patching it" issue but its kind of silly to think a game getting updates instantly invalidates it from being a "complete game"

If you can get the full experience with little issue, of course it's "complete" regardless of any future patches
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:26:13 pm by cirno »

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 03:52:58 pm »
Well, like for example. Horizon Zero Dawn came out, then a bunch of DLC I'd imagine, and now there is a version called "complete edition". So that's like an admission that the game was not released complete.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 07:23:55 pm »
I think things like that are titled more to mean "the game with all the extra content" not "we actually released the full game this time"

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 07:41:00 pm »
I mean, there is a difference between patching bugs and adding content. a lot of games are complete but just get bug fixes and patches.

Or am I missing something here?

I’m not counting those because I’m trying to make a list of what will actually still be playable in the same way years from now when the servers go dark.

With bug fixes and patches it’s a slippery slope. Some games are downright unplayable without the updates and patches to fix framerate, game breaking bugs, etc. changing the experience.

Other times the game may still Ben playable but the mechanics may be completely different. For example max health. Battles required to gain experience etc.

Imagine never being able to go back and play land of the giants in SMB 3 because it was a dlc. (Made up example)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:45:30 pm by dashv »

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 08:30:23 pm »
Probably anything that is a complete/GOTY edition, port, or remaster, though even Crash Bandicoot had DLC.  I'd guess Mario Kart 8 Deluxe could be one, I don't remember if that had any patches.

azure

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 08:36:12 pm »
Probably anything that is a complete/GOTY edition, port, or remaster, though even Crash Bandicoot had DLC.  I'd guess Mario Kart 8 Deluxe could be one, I don't remember if that had any patches.

Then you have the cop-outs like with Fallout 4's GOTY edition that just gives you the season pass with a code.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 10:06:14 pm »

Then you have the cop-outs like with Fallout 4's GOTY edition that just gives you the season pass with a code.

Oh geez, really? I didn't actually know that lol

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 10:15:03 pm »

Yeah, Okami HD does that too unfortunately. I was pumped to have a 4k remaster complete with all the stuff from the original game (loading screen mini games) on a physical disk.

I was bummed when I popped in the disk and it opened the store did an auto purchase and started downloading the 16gb digital copy from the internet.

I was like “what the literal fack!?”

azure

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 10:42:49 pm »

Yeah, Okami HD does that too unfortunately. I was pumped to have a 4k remaster complete with all the stuff from the original game (loading screen mini games) on a physical disk.

I was bummed when I popped in the disk and it opened the store did an auto purchase and started downloading the 16gb digital copy from the internet.

What, really? That's very disappointing I was looking to get it as well sometime for the same reason.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 12:44:51 am »

Didn't have that happen to me for my copy of Okami HD for the One. There was a 400 mb update though.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 01:51:02 am »

Didn't have that happen to me for my copy of Okami HD for the One. There was a 400 mb update though.

Are you sure? It’s the Xbox One version that did it to me.

Afterwords it also downloaded the 400mb update.

I have the One X so maybe my 16gb download was the One X 4K assets?